Coffee Shop 15

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Evening, everyone.

Just stopping by to say hello. Today is my day to do security for the church. The mass shooting inNew York today is not making me feel any more confident with 500 women, some of whom have disgruntled husband and significant others. I'm probably nuts to be doing this since I'm retired but my wife and daughter will be there and I want to make sure they have some protection. I got my duty belt ready tonight and the dang thing weights 19 pounds!. A Glock 17, three magazines, two sets of handcuffs, ASP baton, pepper spray, flashlight, two radios, cell phone, and a glove case. I used to also carry a Taser when I was a regular. Looking at my belt know, I have no idea how I got all that junk on my belt before. Must have been magic. :) At least I won't have to go to the gym tomorrow. I should get lots of ab and leg exercise being on my feet for 12 hours. :eek:

See you all tomorrow evening.
 
Good early morning folks.

Today is the Lindsay train show, I have a tqo hour drive ahead of me and right now it is snowing lightly. I thought that song was "April Showers" not "April Snow Flurries".

Oh well, to the showers and then to the show. I will be at the NMRA "Modeller's Corner" all weekend working on my RSLaser two Station bash build.

Have a good weekend folks.
 
Wow, I'm up early. Anyone around? Coffee should be pretty fresh, unless someone didn't empty the pot yesterday. Doesn't matter. I need the biggest mug in the house.

Thanks to all for the welcome yesterday. Nice of all you. Goin' fishin' for a bit this AM. I heard the walleyes were stacked up below the dam at the reservoir. Good eatin', them ol' marble eyes.

Got the 7-year old(she says she's almost 8) granddaughter for a fishing partner. She even baits her own hook. A bit chilly right now though, 34 degrees...we'll dress warm. She can take some hot chocolate in a thermos. No breeze below the dam. We'll start a campfire if we get cold.

We plan to fly a kite this afternoon, she goes home this evening. Good having her around this past week. Kinda miss seeing both of them everyday since they've moved.

Freezer is getting low on fish. Tough year on the ice this past winter. I should have used dynamite for bait. Nothing else worked.

We played with the trains on a small layout last night. Her older brother used to do the same thing. She might turn out to be a better engineer than him, never know. She's learning. We put a few modules together that are not complete except for the track being laid.

Jim, you be careful. That killing plague is out of control. More fodder for the anti's. And it's not the law abiding citizen causing the ruckus. A Glock though.? I'm a Colt kind of guy. Something about a .45 ACP that gets the heart a pumpin'. And if I run out of bullets, I can always throw the gun at 'em.

Love the couch. It would be great while watching TV and the better half wants to sweep. Or maybe chasing the two Boston Terriers around the house. I'd need to stay clear of the stairway though. That might get bumpy. One question I must ask though. What caused the "wheelies"? Seems to be a bit of a weight problem on that one end.

I am hoping to hear from malletman. He s a member of a club about 30 miles from here, in Kokomo, Indiana. I'd like to check it out this evening, from 7p-11p. It is situated in an old chicken coop.

My old club folded about 6 years ago or so. I miss getting with everyone and, usually, shootin' the bull, working on the layouts, and running trains.

Well, gotta go. The fish are a-waitin' to get caught. I might stop back by after the young'un heads south after supper. Keep the coffee on, Flo.

Bob
 


Love the couch. It would be great while watching TV and the better half wants to sweep. Or maybe chasing the two Boston Terriers around the house. I'd need to stay clear of the stairway though. That might get bumpy. One question I must ask though. What caused the "wheelies"? Seems to be a bit of a weight problem on that one end.

Bob

Yes but I have lost 6kgs:D The two batteries are in the armrest and the drive wheels directly below my butt.

Ken.
 
you know, NZR...,

if you could get fridges and stoves to move like that? you'ld really have something! self propelled household appliances. :)


now you have me dreaming of a self-propelled wheelbarrow...

hey, a girl can dream, can't she? :D
 
ltnI have seen a wheel barrow with a motor on it but you still had to pick up the handles to get it to move but at least you did not have to push. It also had two wheels making balancing it easier.
 
Good Morning--We actually are at 1C right now:eek: going to a high of 7C in the sunshine--:):):rolleyes::rolleyes: And yes, LTF I did see sometin' snowlike falling down here--:eek::eek::(

Jim 19lbs of weight around the ol' waist? :eek::eek: dang good passive resistance exercise machine, that!:) Are you going to be the only one there though? I HOPE NOT!!:eek::eek: I don't really know much about guns but I'd be wondering about bigger backup than even a Glock--and those ain't nuthin' to sneeze at!:eek:--when some druggie was recently arrested up here they found a few AK-47's in his apartment!!:eek:

NZRKen Love the couch--lots a fun--I gotta try sumtin' like that!:):D:D

I'm going to do house stuff today--I just found someone's patio umbrella jammed into the underside of our backdeck---:confused::):)--wind cleanup time!!
 
you know, NZR...,
now you have me dreaming of a self-propelled wheelbarrow...
Hey LT, looky HERE....! Betcha could haul serious amounts of manure with that, ya think?:D

Welcome to Flo's, Bob and Will

NZ Ken, good to see ya back. Still got that hot rod bar stool?

Jim - sounds like you're ready for whatever trouble some nutdog might try to start. I hope there's only 1 way in - and the other doors only open from the inside going out!

L8tr...
 
Good morning.

It's 50 and clear. The high will be close to 80 and it will be partly cloudy.

Yesterday I got quite a bit accomplished. I got rest of my new engine house done then set to work on the buildings that will be attached to it. I was considering what to use to show up the mortar lines. In the past I always used chalk or powdered tempura but both are hard to come by here. The only chalk (other than wildly colored sidewalk chalk) is the standard white chalk sticks. When turned in a jumbo plastic pencil sharpener I can get fine shavings that can then be rubbed into the mortar lines. This time though I decided to try something else. I have some gray acrylic paint on hand so I used an old structure as a test bed. I used the paint on the bricks on the left and chalk on those on the right and at the top.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm18/forum-2/P4040052.jpg

The chalk shows up quite bright and the bricks stand out in sharp relief. Not what I'd want for a aged look. The paint shows up the mortar lines just fine and gives the bricks an aged look without having to do any additional weathering. I decided to use the paint. I also got my new Gorre and Daphetid (John Allen's road name) boxcar assembled and got the first coat of Matte-Finish on it before dark. Boy, was it glossy! Sometime today I'll hit it with the alcohol/black acrylic spray then do the Matte-Finish again. I have to get a new pump sprayer first though. My old one is locked up tighter than a clam with lockjaw! The engine house and associated structures will also get the alcohol/acrylic paint treatment so they'll have a dirty smoky appearance.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 4/4/2009


Wind Chill: 50°F
Humidity: 93%
Dew Point: 48°F

So Far Today
High: 54°F
Low: 50°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 3mph SSE

Today High: 78 Mostly sunny early in the morning then becoming partly cloudy. Highs in the upper 70s. Southeast winds 10 to 15 mph.

Tonight Low: 62 Partly cloudy. Warmer. Lows in the lower 60s. South winds 10 to 15 mph in the evening decreasing to around 5 mph after midnight.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm18/forum-2/P4040056.jpg
 


Mornin' all!

Jeff, good lookin' engine house and car!

Well, I was supposed to pick up my bike from the shop last night, but they weren't done with it yet. Seems the parts took a bit longer to get there then they planned. The last parts arrive today, then they're closed Sunday and Monday. Monday and Tuesday are calli9ng for snow (That is SO uncool!), so I told them I might just pick it up Wednesday. That'll be nearly two weeks that it's been in their shop. My garage looks so empty! I took it in for tires and brakes. Not only are they a bit backed up this time of year, as you can imagine, but, since my bike was such a low production bike, model specific parts like the brake pads usualy aren't just off the shelf items. Guess thats the price you pay for marching to a different beat, huh?

Indianapolis, Indiana
Currently: 35°F Clear

clear_am_55x55.gif


Today: sunny. Highs in the lower 60s. North winds up to 10 mph.
Tonight: partly cloudy then becoming mostly cloudy. Lows in the lower 40s. East winds up to 10 mph increasing to 10 to 15 mph after midnight.

So the head pastor of our church is out of town this week. He called me up last weekend and asked if I'd fill his shoes while he's gone. Tonight, I'm not doing kids church like usual......I'm out with the big people! It should be fun! (Don't think for a minute that my enthusiasm is not tempered with extreme humility and a keen awareness of the gravity of this privilage though. I'm just excited, thats all.)

on some calendars, the new year begins April 1st. :)

Foolish calenders! :p
 
Well, stoppin' in for lunch. Did real well fishing. We got our limit. And the young'un caught the most fish and the biggest, a 5-pounder. That's good. She was the first one in the house to let the better half know that she beat Grandpa. Gotta love it. I owe her a few of bucks to pay for our bet. First fish, biggest, and most fish. Bad day for the pocket book, good one for the heart. A real "feel good" thing.

We're grabbing a quick bite, grabbin' the better half, and the dogs and heading to the park to fly a kite. I haven't done this for a few years. Her brother is 15 and he was the last kite adventure about 7 years ago. Great being a Grandpa, isn'tit? Spoil 'em, load 'em up with sugar and send 'em home. Payback to the daughter for all of the sweet agony of her growing up. lol

Noticing quite a few Hoosiers on the boards. That's nice. Muncie, Indy, Kokomo, and I'm from Marion.... Always nice to have good neighbors.

Well, wish me luck with the kite. I hope that I don't end up having a "Charlie Brown"(of Peanuts fame) Momoent.

Stop by later on to check out the mischief.

Have a good one, FLO. Looks like you have an ornery crew in the house. Just keep the coffee pot on.

Bob
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hey LT, looky HERE....! Betcha could haul serious amounts of manure with that, ya think?:D

Welcome to Flo's, Bob and Will

NZ Ken, good to see ya back. Still got that hot rod bar stool?

Jim - sounds like you're ready for whatever trouble some nutdog might try to start. I hope there's only 1 way in - and the other doors only open from the inside going out!

L8tr...

Yup you bet Ken, I'm not letting it go gunna keep it and use it in the future for my zimmer frame.
 
A new painting project

Good evening y'all,

KenNZ - excellent, I was hoping you'd post that photo again! One of those things that has to be seen to be believed!:D

Went to the Timonium train show earlier today to hang out with the FCSME gang. I was too broke to buy anything big, but $15 got me this little gem: http://tinyurl.com/storefront12
I liked it because of little details like the fire escape and the window A/C box. I'll be painting and mortaring the bricks later on; although painting the window frames will be a challenge with the "glass" already installed. We'll see...
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Jeff, you are an artist!!! I'm picking up tips right and left on this forum!

the bag of little farm animals I got for my lay-out, (my HO sized lay-out) will have to go in some sort of display of a nuclear power plant gone bad. They're a little bit on the umm...
large size.

well, not REALLY really large, but just large enough to be too large. :D maybe if I put them far enough away from anything, they won't look too out of place.

hey, its a start.

had some awful news today, a friend who owns two of my horses was out riding with her friend this past week, on a very quiet country road. the friends horse was deliberately hit by a truck and killed. not right away. MAJOR serious horrible injuries, rider was also injured but not too bad.

driver and passenger both got OUT of the truck, YELLED at the rider on the ground, and the horse screaming in agony and thrashing on the ground trying to get up, and then got BACK in the truck and drove away!!!!

asshats. They'll be found. they're in pretty deep trouble.
 
Hey all...

Bob...welcome to the boards. Have always thought Indiana was a beautiful state. My brother and his family moved from Huntington to San Antonio last July, but I had visited them often. Enjoyed the country.

Jim...There are some very bad folks out there. Be careful!!

Rex...How was the air show?

Latent...So sorry to hear about your friend's horse. Like I said...there are some very bad people out and about.

Weather here has been pretty nasty. It started raining yesterday night and turned into snow early this AM. Winds like I cannot remember ever experiencing. The power kept flickering off and on in church this AM and finally went out completely around 11:15. We had a potluck scheduled so we went ahead with it. It was a haystack potluck so all that needed to be hot were the chili beans and they had been heating in crock pots. So we ate in the darkened fellowship hall and had a blast. The power came back on around 1:00.
Am just hunkered down here at home and enjoying being warm.

Have a great evening!

Sandy
 
One coffee here....make it an iced tea. I need something cold.

Well, supper is over the youg'un has gone back home....no call from Mike about the train club deal in Kokomo....maybe next week.

Staying home this evening. I think I'll break out the weathering chalks and do up some cars. I like chalks. They make "do overs" real easy.

I needed a barstool like that in my younger days. Barhopping would have been more fun and I'd always had a seat. Novel idea.

Got http://www.railroadradio.net/content/view/25/158/ on the media player. Listening to the dispatcher from Fort Wayne. We used rail traffic at the yard for hours.The better half and grandson kept a log and took pictures of the engines passing by or sitting in the yard. Kind of quiet today, being the weekend. Traffic picks up tomorrow evening though.

Nice pickup on the structure slug. I really don't have many towns on my layout. Lots of industry and ag though. Whistle stops, and small freight and passenger depots.

Getting some parts to fix my old mallet 2-8-8-2. I loaned it to a club for a show. It came back in pieces. Of course, no one knew anything about it. But, someone had tried to repair it. Broken frame, bent drivers. Lesson learned there.

The engine belonged to my Dad and has a special meaning. It's a horse too. Once tugged 237 coal cars. I had to add traction tires, I hope that isn't cheating. Hopefully I'll get the parts early next week. Maybe Mike(malletman) will allow me to show it off at his club session.

I'm really jealous of some of you guys. Your artistry is phenomenal!!! I've got lots of time in the hobby, but little experience in the craft as you. I can make 'em run, but not make 'em purdy or weathered as some of you. My idea of weathering is some chalk and DullCoat.

My current project is a set of P2K E8's and a group of passenger cars that I got a couple of years back, undecorated. Yeh, I'm a member of the GPC(Great Procrastinators Club. You should see the closet in the train room....full of "to-dos".)They are to be dedicated to a boating group I belong to. CP livery and colors. I've got the engines masked but no paint. Thought I had some. That's what I get for thinkin'. One of the members is a the yard boss in Toronto for CP.

TorontoYard.jpg

Toronto Yard

Better get busy if I want to accomplish anything tonight.

Thanks for the iced tea, FLO. It's almost as bad as the coffee.

Bob
 
Last edited by a moderator:


Jeff, you are an artist!!! I'm picking up tips right and left on this forum!
There are tips galore in the 'HO Scale' board and 'Layout Advice' board of my forum (Clickable at the bottom of my signature). The HO Scale board is open to all to view, the Layout Advice board however is members only.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top