Coffee Shop 15

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning folks.

I had a lazy day yesterday. I took a nap for the first time in months. There just wasn't much to get excited about. We spent most of the day with the in laws doing a whole lot of nothing.

I did manage to glue a few tiers of foam in anticipation of a foam carving marathon on Tuesday. I'm hoping to finish the rough work for the river valley that day. I noticed that I'm getting bogged down in this river valley. More progress needs to happen or my wife will think I'm losing interest. I'm surprised that she has to light a fire under me to finish this area. That tells me that it's time to actually model instead of just thinking and reading about it!

We have a significant amount of rain coming down right now. I'm going to have to find a project at work to make the day go by. If we could get some thunder then that would at least keep me awake!

Have a great day. I think the caffeine is finally kicking in!
 
....... That tells me that it's time to actually model instead of just thinking and reading about it!
Ha, I do a lot of that and have to remind myself, "Too much thinking, not enough doing!"

You guys with the auto problems have infected my 2000 SSEi Bonneville. AGAIN we have lost the mechanisms on the power windows, this time TWO. One went out two weeks ago and we have been putting off the repair with it wedged up, but then another one went yesterday. CRAPPO! That is about $450 per window. Maybe my mechanic will give me a deal for two...I hope...I really do hope:eek:. BTW: these two will be the FIVE replacements.

Records? Man, yeah! I got a 3 foot stack with everything from the Beetles and Elvis to Frank Sinatra and BB King....nothing to play them on. A few have seen one party too many:o:D.

:) Have a good week! :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:


So far my day has gone about as I predicted. I went down and mowed my parents yard. That done I get told that there's a picnic table (one of two on the property) that needs to be moved. I can't move it myself so I push it to where it needs to be with the tractor. Then there are some piles of weeds to be picked up. They're very small piles so that's no problem. Then an old Murray-Ohio lawn tractor needs to be moved so it can be picked up and taken to 'Metal Mountain', a recycling place near here. The engine on it is dead so it has to be pulled. No problem. I pull it with their new Yardman tractor. By this time my father has left for his work. My mother is preparing to leave for most of the rest of the day and informs me that there are several (10) large piles of pine straw and branches to be picked up and I'll have to do it myself as there's no one to load the stuff. Know what? I'm here at home and those darn piles still aren't picked up. Ain't gonna be either, not be me at any rate. Last couple of times I did that I ended up in the hospital with massive infections. No more of that for me.
 
Well--I had a 'WONDERFUL' day today--Remember so called 'fast' meeting? NOT:mad::mad::mad:---3 people spent entire day picking at each other through the dang fool thing until just after 5pm!! We started this at 11am!!:confused::(:eek:Had to phone clients home to say that I could not come and found out from irate father of my client that boss sent a human TURKEY to replace me and the numskull 'blew up' clients 'pooter making it difficult for her to communicate with ANYONE!!!:mad::mad::confused::confused::mad::mad:Had to talk her father through procedure to recover 'pooter in safe mode--everything back to normal there---THEN had to explain to human TURKEY why he was in doghouse with clients AND me!!:mad::eek::mad::eek:---

Can you tell I'm in a grumpy mood??:mad::mad::eek:

I'm not so mad now that I vented--I'm merely:(:o:eek:

I'm going to play with my trains now---:):o
 
boy--is this place ever quiet---what happened to the neighbourhood?

We's be going to a high of 8C in the sunshine with the low going to 1C with tomorrow bringing rain with the high of 9C.

Today I make visit with client I missed yesterday as well as my usually scheduled client today---may get some MRR'ing done as well--

If'n anyone shows up--have a good'un!
 
Good morning folks

It was 25 F as I headed out this morning. Did someone forget to the weather it is Spring? High today will be 49 F.

Yesterday was one of those insane days. It actually started on Friday when we discovered a major mistake in one of our projects that is under construction. I spent Friday afternoon, and Saturday assessing the problem. Yesterday we began correcting things and working with the contractor so we do not slow him down.

This weekend was busy. My son’s basketball team lost the championship game by two points. They had a bunch of opportunities at the end but could not get a basket to sink. It was awesome game with constant lead changes. At one point his team had the other team down by 6 and later the other team had his team down by 9. My son’s team fought back and actually took a 4 point lead which they eventually lost. My son played what I think was his best game ever. He had some critical steals and a bunch of rebounds. He even scored 2 points which matched his regular season total. His shooting is his weakest part of the game. In two previous games against this team my son’s team got blown out to the point where they stopped keeping score so it was great to see them play so well this time. It was a shame that someone had to lose.

After that the rest of the weekend was anti-climatic with shopping and errand running. No trains but I did clean up around the layout.

I hope everybody has a good day.
 
Good morning.

Been having internet problems since 6:40 pm yesterday. One minute it's up then the next it's down. I'm getting really ticked at the lack of service out here.

I have a doctors appointment to go to at 9:30 to see what the results of my MRI were and to get some lab work done. More needles. Just what I need! Grrrrr! As if I don't see enough of the darn things already.
 


Good Morning! It has been a while since I posted, and it took me all morning to catch up on all the posts I'd been missing.

Sounds like many are being affected by the... er...economic...downturn. I have pretty much quit even watching the news except maybe Fox and Friends in the AM.

Just got back from a week in Columbus MS. Rained nearly everyday, but was a nice change from dry Colorado. My nephew graduated from flight school at Columbus AFB. He is the third in my family to do so. My brother and another nephew also are CAFB alumni. About a week before graduation, my bother made Colonel. It was a wonderful surprise for all of us. We knew it was coming, but didn't think it would happen by grad. He got much enjoyment getting the VIP treatment at his old stomping grounds.

My nephew's class had about 25 grads and one of them was the fourth in line to the Saudi throne. There was much hoopla (not all good ) over that. His uncle gave a speech at the banquet which began with "Gentlemen, sons, students and parents..." Didn't hold my breath waiting for the "Ladies" potion :rolleyes:

My nephew will be stationed at McConnell AFB in Wichita which is fine by me. Only 8 hours away! Woohoo!

Rex Those pups are simply beautiful. They look like great buddies! My nephew has a 6 lb yorkie and a 135 lb great dane. I loved playing with them while I was visiting. They are both sweeties.

Jeff I hope your leg heals up soon. It sounds so flippin' painful! I don't know how you get everything done that you do.

Jim We had lots of trees in our yard in NC and raking was an all day event. We would rake a huge pile of leaves and start in burning, Rake another and set it afire. I am one of a minority that does not like the smell of burning leaves. Gives me a headache. We also had twin boys living next door who loved to 'help' with our yardwork. They found the piles of leaves great cover for playing army.

Chris I hope your work situation becomes more stable. It is hard to "day-to-day" with that hanging over your head!

Well...we are FINALLY getting a touch of moisture today. Won't amount to much, but it is so dry here that anything is appreciated. 75 degrees in March is unacceptable!

Y'all take care...I hope EVERYONE has a terrific day!
 
Hello everyone and a BIG HELLO to Sandy!

Today was my take care of business day:haircut, shopping, etc. I looked at some new mattresses since we need to buy one...quickly...ouch! Good grief, I didn't realize how expensive those things are. When the wife gets in, we will take the car and get those danged windows fixed. About the time we get a little money put back, something like this happens.

Sandy, I know why you posted...just yesterday I thought about you and was curious as to what you were up to; glad you made the post. Congratulations to your nephew and brother, both have accomplished a lot. I never did like the idea of us training pilots and servicemen from countries that had the potential to one day be shooting at us. However, better us than someone else. At least we will know who they are.;)

BOC: Hope this day is better than yesterday. I don't think your fuse would stand two in a row:D.

JIM: Dang man, you still doing yard work. You need to tell the wifey that the Doctor has ordered you a rest...a three month rest.:D

Jeffrey:
Hope your MRI results are in your favor.
 
Jeff I hope your leg heals up soon. It sounds so flippin' painful! I don't know how you get everything done that you do.
It would be painful if I could feel it at all. The only thing I can feel below my knees is pressure. I could slice either of my feet wide open on something and not feel any pain at all.

The doc gave me the MRI results this morning. Good news. It came up clean. No sign of infection in the bones, just some cellulitis in the soft tissue and I'm taking antibiotics for that already.
 
Jeff: good to hear.

Well the car's engine is just about ready to come out. I have 1 stripped bolt to cut, and a couple electrical connectors to remove. Yanking it out and going to strip the engine down and rebuild it if I can.
 
Rex Thank goodness THAT didn't happen again!:eek::eek:---Boss informed me he'll reschedule any meeting around my so called schedule so as to avoid the 'human turkey issue'! Everything behaved itself today so that I had a quiet day to do stuff at work with---:D:D---Oh well next month is my chair month so I'm not going to allow 3 picky humans to poke each others ego----:rolleyes::rolleyes:
 
Evening, everyone.

Yeah, I think I'm finally about done with yard work. Man, am I ever sore. Got all the bushes pruned, weeds pulled, fire ant mounds treated, laid down weed block, and then put out about 15 bales of pine straw. Jeffrey, sorry about the fire. Have you ever thought about contracting with a pine straw company to come in and remove all that? There must be a market for it since I just got through paying four bucks a bale for the stuff. Out in the county, burning off undergrowth is still common and sometimes the fires to escape. Unless you live down here, you don't realize that, without regular burning, your property will quickly become a jungle. I think it's the regular burning that keeps fires from getting out of control when we have our windy and dry days. They are finally learning this lesson out west and doing controlled burns.

Sandy, nice to see you and congratulations to your brother and nephew. A full bird colonel is no easy task so I'm sure he must be a great leader. I'm not thrilled with the idea of training potential enemy pilots either but we sell the Saudi's our best fighter aircraft and part of the deal is pilot training.

BOC, sounds like at least your job is safe if you have nitwits working in the same outfit. :) I've also got tons of record albums too even though I don't even have a turntable any longer. Any time you want them, just let me know.

Rex, we got one of those memory foam mattresses last year, when I was still making actual profits from the market. :mad: It was about $2200 for a queen size and it felt a little weird the first couple of nights but now I don't think I could sleep very well on a regular mattress again. Dianna has back trouble and this mattress really has helped so I guess it was worth the money. It has the added advantage of remaining cool when it's warm, which is nice in the summer. My daughter has a 2002 Bonneville and we've also lost both front window lifts. They are made with cables and the lift mechanism is almost like it was designed to break. I'm trying to work out a frequent flyer plan with my mechanic. :rolleyes:

Dan, good luck with the engine. The last engine I rebuilt was when I was 18. It was a 283 Chevy and I think it had about 20 parts total. I'm sure there's some kind of engine under the hood of my Suzuki but the only thing I recognize is an air cleaner. :D

Tom, you're going to love this one. The county is building a new administrative office that includes the tax and revenue offices, where you go to pay things like property taxes and car tags. No one noticed until the building was 90% complete that there was nowhere for the public to wait in line to pay up! A $48,000 change order for that little screwup. :eek:

I'd never have enough time to catch up with the rest of the posts so I hope everyone is doing as well as they can with no major catastrophes. We've had great spring weather here with all the dogwood and wild wisteria in bloom. The pine pollen has been unbelievable though - it's coating everything in yellow. I'm sure there must be some folk saying about what that means. Going into kind of a scary weather pattern though Saturday, with the potential for severe storms, tornados, and flooding. The NWS notified storm spotters they WILL be needed from Wednesday morning through Saturday. They usually say MAY be needed so they are pretty confident that we'll have a severe outbreak sometime in the next four days. Friday through Saturday evening looks like the peak of things. We should get from 3 to 5 inches of rain, which will be nice as long as no one's house ends up getting blown or floated away. :(
 
Hey! Just checking in:o If my life were a movie, I'm sure Mel Brooks wrote and directed it:rolleyes: any ways I'm still employeed for now but we have a meeting with the head cheese himself april 9th. He want's to talk to everyone before the ax man works the 2010 budget over. I had a bad day, but came home took a bike ride to calm down some.....and now I'm here, and it's all my fault!:D

Jim,Isn't yard work GREAT!:D You never knew you can move that fast until you stand on Fire ant hill!:D:D:D:D Or jump that high when that wolf spider the size of your hand comes out to greet you:D:D:D:D God, Ain't Yard work is fun!:D

Rex, Did ya get enough mattress under your layout for most of us! It's real nice of ya to think of us!:D

Sandy, Thanks for thinking of us!:)

Dan, Your sure lucky you know automotive repair! Wish I did!

Jeff, good to here you got a clean bill of health. I wish I was well, Got in to a fight with my rice cripes this morning...........They won. Dang voices in my head!:rolleyes::rolleyes::o

BOC, what's a record?:confused: Turntable?:confused:
 
Evening gang!
Spent a few hours in the garage today, working on new module frames, and I got the band-aids on my fingers to prove it!!!:eek:
Jim, I feel for ya on the yard work thing. Thats why one tractor has an automajic transmission,,,,,so the Mrs. can cut grass!!! :rolleyes:
Jeff, glad to hear the feets & legs are getting better. It's tough when you can't feel the pain you are inflicting on yourself until you've overdone it. Drives me nuts sometimes!
Dan, Rebuild? Last rebuild I did cost almost as much as a new-used engine. Then factor in your time, and if something goes wrong, then your out the whole thing! I'd rather get a late model, low mileage used engine with a warranty against leaks & stuff and only pull the engine once! The ONLY way I would do a rebuild were if it was a collector car with a good original block........its worth big bucks if the numbers match.
BOC, I gots records, and a turntable or two, and a 4 ft stack of vynil. Someday I might listen to it all! A lot of it was passed down from Dad.
Rex. Looks like you suthern boys are in for some nasty weekend stuff. :( We're just gettin rain showers. Batten down the hatches will ya!
Chris.....Seriously (cereally?) Fighting with your Rice Crispies again?:eek: Just drown the little suckers in milk. They'le shut up after a bit!
Anywho, back out in the shop tomorrow, looking for 60 degree temps and light rain. The modules should be ready for electrical by the weekend. Now where did I put all those Cinch connectors???:confused:
 
The only reason I want to rebuild it is because I want the experience. Gotta try everything once. Luckily I have guidance in my adventure. Today I got the axles out. That was a LOT of fun. First time I have seen my uncle give up an a car.
 


Chris, I sure hope you escape the budget cuts. One thing I liked about living full time in my motorhome was NO YARD WORK! :) It looks nice now that it's done but I really do hate it. Those dang fire ants really do hurt if you get few up your pant leg. :eek: No wolf spiders yet.

Karl, each forecast run looks more ominous so I guess it's time to get out the cat vacuum again. :) Jeffrey, it looks like things over your way might get bad too.

Dan, I agree. Being young is a good reason try everything once. Like I said, I rebuilt my 283 when I was 18. That was the first and lost motor I ever rebuilt.

Off to bed so pleasant dreams to those of you who still aren't conked out. :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top