Coffe shop XXXIV - 9/10/12

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Great looking trailer train Toot! Long cars always seem to take a bit more work.


Mike

I've got enough 53' trailers for 22 cars (12 for the 4 pairs of longrunners and 10 other 89's) but I need to find 10 x 28' trailers to fill the empty spaces that will leave on those cars. Then I can also fill a further 5 with a mix of 45's and 40's.

Once I get the Caterpillar train sorted out with weathering and chain tiedowns, some more box cars etc, will have the opportunity to do either unit type trains or good mixed freights.
 
Haven't been able to get much rest today. Seems like every time I close my eyes my head starts spinning like an E ride at Disneyland! Yeah, I still feel like crap and I don't see things being any better tomorrow.

Time to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

DSCN2696.jpg
 


Good morning. It's 60° with 100% humidity. It's mostly cloudy. The high will be 78° and there's a fair chance of thunderstorms.
cond50.jpg


I managed to get a few hours of sleep last night and I feel a bit better than I did last night. I still don't feel well though.

I may get some layout work done today. That remains to be seen.

P1010400.jpg
 
Good Morning

Things be a lot quieter today...last few days were rather hectic

Today's weather i some sun, a lot of cloud and rather cold ...high of 34F expected here...

Today is going to be getting more groceries and other such essential items...and watching out for a few more flurries....
 
Had to make a quick trip to town to make a bank deposit. My account was in single digits and I don't want it going minus because I made an error or forgot to list a small charge. I decided to take the scenic route (parallels the KCS mainline) so I went out via Ford Stewart Road, asphalt all the way. go to the end to find a train approaching. A single loco. I didn't give a close look, probably an AC44 from the sound. I thought this won't take long. A tank car unit train, GATX. A hundred cars later and I'm still waiting. Must be all empties or that loco has some really serious horse power. Got to the bank and made the deposit then went down the street and got $10 in gas then back home. Other than that it's been an uneventful day.
 
I decided to take the scenic route (parallels the KCS mainline) so I went out via Ford Stewart Road, asphalt all the way. go to the end to find a train approaching.
I was trying to guess what KCS stands for.

Closest I came up with is Kansas, California, and Southern. :rolleyes::p
 
Kansas City Southern.
Ha ha, I really feel dumb now......because......I was born in kansas city, missouri. But I was close.

I wonder how I could find out what railroad(s) ran passenger trains between kansas city and saint louis mo. in the early sixties? I rode trains several times on that route when I was a wee lad. Perhaps I will ask jombi the geenie.

*EDIT* A quick google shows it was likely missouri pacific.......which my grandmother always talked about.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder how I could find out what railroad(s) ran passenger trains between kansas city and saint louis mo. in the early sixties? I rode trains several times on that route when I was a wee lad. Perhaps I will ask jombi the geenie.
The easiest way if you know the names of the railroads in question is to look up their history. Start with Wikipedia and go from there.
 


Good Evening

We had a bunch of runnin' 'roun' doin' stuff done this afternoon. All the Xmas shopping that needs done will wait until next weekend thanky very much like.....

We did get to our expected high today...all of 33F...yay...
 
Had dinner with my parents today at their place. Fried catfish, onion rings, coleslaw, beans, hush puppies. Yes, very diabetic unfriendly but delicious.

I know my parents have been married a long time but I wasn't exactly sure how long. So I asked. Fifty-six years. I wish them all the best but I strongly suspect there won't be a fifty-seventh anniversary. Even my father doesn't think so anymore. He counts every day they have together as special and he tries to make the best of it.
 
Looks like I'll have the a/c on tonight. Low of 55 and a 70% chance of rain. Maybe it'll wash some of the dust off my van.

Well, I'm still not feeling all that great. I'm calling it a night a bit early. I just can't keep me head up any longer. See y'all tomorrow.

P1010415.jpg
 
Ok, Jeffrey,
Have a good night or as good as you can. What's with the A/C when it only 55* and a chance of rain. Is that due to the high humidity?

Btw, it didn't seem the dinner was anything too out of the way from a Diabetic standpoint.
 
Ok, Jeffrey, What's with the A/C when it only 55* and a chance of rain. Is that due to the high humidity?
You nailed it!:cool: High humidity (we're talking 80% or higher) and a southerly breeze causes weird things to happen with the temps inside vs outside. It can be 55 outside but the temp inside can and does climb to 80 or higher. Leaving the a/c on low keeps the temp between 65 and 75. Usually it'll come on two or three times an hour, run for two to five minutes then cut off again. Adding rain to the mix makes it downright muggy and everything feels damp. Louisiana is the wettest of the continental states. You really have to experience it to believe it. Too bad that effect doesn't work in the dead of winter!
 
Good Morning

Weatherguessers have us being dull and cold today as well...we might, though, see few incidents of that weird yellow orb showing up....

I have a dang meeting to get to this morning then it i off to the mall to get some walking/snooping done...
 
Good morning. It's 50° with 100% humidity. It's supposed to be mostly cloudy with a high of 58°. There's a small chance of rain in the morning.
cond20.jpg
condmc-1.jpg


I'm feeling much better this morning. Still have some minor balance issues. I suspect this cold I have is responsible for that. We had rain last night so it's already very muggy this morning. Start doing anything outside and it's not long before you're soaked.

I have no idea what this day has in store for me. Plans for my future that I don't know about worry me. My father is supposed to be having a couple of Hospice people come today. We'll see what comes of that. He'll also be placing an ad in the local paper for a live-in nurse to care for my mother on a 24/7 basis. Something has to be done as she can't take care of herself any longer.

I may be able to get some work done on the layout today. I just don't know.

P1010361.jpg
 






Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top