Coffe shop XXXIV - 9/10/12

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Well I tore down the RS16 and it appears the motor isn't bad after all, just very dirty. I cleaned the brushes and commutator with 91% alcohol. The amount of crud that poured out was significant. Three fingers on my left hand turned black! I rubbed the commutator with an alcohol soaked paper towel until all I could see was clean towel. It runs like a champ now and I consider it worthy of converting to DCC.

On the Mantua F7A I have an F7B body in the closet somewhere. With it and the F7A body I can change a couple of FT's to F7's. The FT bodies are on Athearn clone F7 frames with Frankenstein power and drives.
Those looked pretty nice in the photo.


Mike
 
They do look pretty nice, fairly plain as is the norm for Athearn blue box but nice. You can take a Mantua F7 body and pop it onto an Athearn frame with very little or no modification depending on whether or not you're using the Athearn super weight. The RS16 has a few details added like cut levers. The screw hole for the front coupler was stripped out so I tapped the hole and put in a slightly larger screw, a small brass wood screw.
 
After the days activities I'm wiped out. It's time to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

P1011716.jpg
 


They do look pretty nice, fairly plain as is the norm for Athearn blue box but nice. You can take a Mantua F7 body and pop it onto an Athearn frame with very little or no modification depending on whether or not you're using the Athearn super weight. The RS16 has a few details added like cut levers. The screw hole for the front coupler was stripped out so I tapped the hole and put in a slightly larger screw, a small brass wood screw.

I think that RS16 is a Stewart model, with Athearn drive parts factory applied.
 
I'm thinking so too. It's a total Athearn drive, not unusual for Stewart. Their U25B came in both Kato and Athearn versions. I had one of each.
I don't know if you've ever gotten hold of one, but the Stewart/Athearn AS616 sounds like a coffee grinder full of marbles...

Anyway, good morning. It's cloudy and 65.
 
We did have lows in the 20's this morning. Summer is over ao with not haveing to keep up a couple of acres of lawn, it's time to get back to work on the layout. It's amazing how much better a motor will run when it gets a good cleaning. A majority of my locomotives are over 15 years old and a good tune up once in a while never hurts.
 
Good morning. It's 75° at a mere 76% humidity. It'll be mostly sunny with a high of 85°.
cond026.gif


Nothing much planned for today. My younger sister and her significant other arrived last night so I'll be talking with them today.

P7101496.jpg
 
Hey! What? Hey! :):confused::)

Bought a new HP desktop computer....at walmart. Whooppee! After looking at some other ones at staples and bestbuy.......decided this one would work for $398. Looks pretty cool and comes with wide screen monitor. I wanted one with windows 7 because first reviews of windows 8 are not great. Maybe that will change in time.

Walmart has 15 day return policy, that feels good....but I've had great luck with HP products over the years and HP laptop I'm using to write this still working ok (but slow) after seven years.

When you buy something in a store....you get to pick and choose....and one of my things is...I like to get one with a box that has not been torn to shreds or looks like it fell off the top shelf in a giant warehouse. I am picky that way.

So when I already knew the model I wanted....and drove 20 miles to another store the website said had it in stock....and walking in I saw they had only one and it was in a perfect pristine box.....I quickly slid it into my cart, checked out, and it was in my truck within a couple minutes. I'm like a computer shopping ninja. :cool:

Right now I'm re-assembling my big computer desk after moving.....then with a little luck for good luck should soon have the new machine hooked up!

http://www.walmart.com/ip/HP-Black-...indows-7-Home-Pr/19714394?findingMethod=rr#rr


Mike
 


Good Afternoon/Evening

Got all kindsa sun here as well as a good stiff breeze blowing...and, it got up to...TADA!!!...75F!!...tomorrow? Not so nice...:(

Had the CT scan thing today..hopefully it is all kaput..the cancer that is....:)

Might get to run some trains today...if'n certain HD list thingees do not show up...:rolleyes:
 
Hey! What? Hey! :):confused::)

Bought a new HP desktop computer....at walmart. Whooppee! After looking at some other ones at staples and bestbuy.......decided this one would work for $398. Looks pretty cool and comes with wide screen monitor. I wanted one with windows 7 because first reviews of windows 8 are not great. Maybe that will change in time.

Walmart has 15 day return policy, that feels good....but I've had great luck with HP products over the years and HP laptop I'm using to write this still working ok (but slow) after seven years.

When you buy something in a store....you get to pick and choose....and one of my things is...I like to get one with a box that has not been torn to shreds or looks like it fell off the top shelf in a giant warehouse. I am picky that way.

So when I already knew the model I wanted....and drove 20 miles to another store the website said had it in stock....and walking in I saw they had only one and it was in a perfect pristine box.....I quickly slid it into my cart, checked out, and it was in my truck within a couple minutes. I'm like a computer shopping ninja. :cool:

Right now I'm re-assembling my big computer desk after moving.....then with a little luck for good luck should soon have the new machine hooked up!

http://www.walmart.com/ip/HP-Black-...indows-7-Home-Pr/19714394?findingMethod=rr#rr


Mike
Congratulations on the upgrade. Windoze8 is "okay" if you have a touch screen computer or tablet PC. It is very much geared to that environment, and trying to do almost anything with a mouse is--convoluted. It seems like about every other OS Microsoft releases is pretty good. ME was bad, XP was good, Vista was a disaster, 7 is good, and 8 is not looking promising.
 
That was the first video I watched on my new HP computer. I just pulled it out of the box tonight and set it up in the last hour.....it works perfect! :D The twenty inch widescreen monitor really makes trains look awesome. :eek: Thanks for posting it! :)



Mike

i'm glad you liked it my youngest son really liked seeing it too...
 
Good Morning

Well...here in London ON the start of the cool down is upon us...yesterday we hit 77F today? 57F and falling...tomorrow will be the high of 50F...with a little tinkly shower or two....:rolleyes:

We had to water the trees around here ourselves pretty much through the whole summer as we seem to have had about 25-30% of the rain we usually get around here...and, apparently we look to be settling into a below normal pattern for the fall as well...yay.:(

Today will be not a relaxed day for moi...as I have a few things to still do...such as HD things have piled up:eek:...so I better be working here...:cool:
 


Good morning. It's 76° heading to 88°. Humidity is 76%. About as interesting as a root canal.
cond026.gif


Went to my parents place for breakfast this morning and had some face time with my younger sister and her significant other. I think I may get some work done on the grain elevator today. I need to study some photos and see what pieces go where. The closest I've ever been to one was about two hundred yards in a heavy thunder storm. Yeah, didn't see much. I'll also be looking in on the MR forum to see what mod duties I have to attend to. Other than that there's not much going on. Looks like the sale of my parents house isn't going to take place as soon as we thought. Stupid bank has had the paper work supposedly ready to go for a couple of months but didn't bother scheduling the termite inspection until this last Tuesday. The guy showed up yesterday. Couldn't find any termites but said a treatment was going to cost $3,000. If there are no termites why the heck does it need a treatment. It seems that termites or no it needs a treatment. Sure frosted my fathers butt. He more or less told the guy to pack up his stuff and get out. Time to get a second opinion.

Image5.jpg
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top