Code 80 VS Code 55

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


GP30

Johnny B
Hello,
I am brand new to this forum. I've been trying to build a N scale layout for about 20 + years now.....LOL!! I had a 27 ft x 18 ft layout. I had gone through a split up and had to tear down the layout. Its all bench style. I am now in the process of putiing it all back up and together. My question is this. I used Atlas flex Code 80 with Peco switches. I want to know what the difference between Code 80 and 55. I just purchased 47 pieces of brand new Code 80 and probably should have asked this question before I bought them. Is it still ok to use the Code 80? Is it just an appearence thing? Rail size difference? And seeing how I sold almost all of my Peco switches, what brand os switches should I use. Are the Atlas Custom line any good and do they make them in code 80? Please help and Thank you to all that do!

Johnny B :cool:
 
So what is code for the majority of switches? I guess what I need to know is what are my options for switches in code 80?? Thanks for your reply Sparky


Johnny B :cool:
 


Go to the Walthers website and look up what's available in their catalog. I'm not sure about N scale. Looks like you can get both 80 and 55 components though some 55 items are not in stock
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Ok after taking a better look at what switches I had left over after I sold most, it seems as I have enough to start my mainline over. Since most of these switches are code 80 Peco, I'm going to stay with them. When I originaly set up the layout years ago, I was going to go with a double main. After much thought, I've decided to go with just a single main with 3 passing sidings along the route. My thought is to run a train or 2 on the main, while I can still play in the yard and local businesses along the way. I have taken some pics and will post later of my start on redoing this layout. Thanks again for everyone who responded to my question.

Johnny B :cool:
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top