P&LE
Member
Gentlemen,
Not sure if this is the proper part of the forum to pose this question, if not, please let me know where I should place this post.
I'm researching and planning to model the Pittsburgh & Lake Erie RR, in western PA (possibly on a fictional/freelanced branchline), in 1952. According to my research, a large part of the freight traffic will be coal, some of it from online mines.
While reading on another website about prototype RRs, I came across this post
http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=130&t=77730
If you read the posts and follow the links to articles, it makes mention of a "tramway" being used to carry coal from a mine, across a river/creek, to a loading tipple on the railroad.
Was this common? Was it common in PA? If so, was it still done in 1952?
I assume such a tramway would be some very narrow gauge, 2ft or less?
How would such a tramway "train" be powered?
This could be a great addition to a model railroad, especially if it could be made operational.
I just want to make sure that it would be prototypical for the era and locale that I've chosen.
Thanks for any input.
MPB
Not sure if this is the proper part of the forum to pose this question, if not, please let me know where I should place this post.
I'm researching and planning to model the Pittsburgh & Lake Erie RR, in western PA (possibly on a fictional/freelanced branchline), in 1952. According to my research, a large part of the freight traffic will be coal, some of it from online mines.
While reading on another website about prototype RRs, I came across this post
http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=130&t=77730
If you read the posts and follow the links to articles, it makes mention of a "tramway" being used to carry coal from a mine, across a river/creek, to a loading tipple on the railroad.
Was this common? Was it common in PA? If so, was it still done in 1952?
I assume such a tramway would be some very narrow gauge, 2ft or less?
How would such a tramway "train" be powered?
This could be a great addition to a model railroad, especially if it could be made operational.
I just want to make sure that it would be prototypical for the era and locale that I've chosen.
Thanks for any input.
MPB
