ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
Motley is right, that model would make a good coal burner. One thing I would recommend would be the elimination of the two small stacks and the addition of one large stack that would be up to half again taller than those shown. Also the stack should set away from the taller building (where the boiler is, often close to 200 feet tall or more) and be connected by rectangular duct work measuring close to 20' wide by 30' tall at about 30' or so above the ground. Google pictures of coal fired power plants and you will see what I'm talking about.
I'm at Mickey D's for the wifi before I go to work at a nuclear power plant. If you have any questions I will try to answer them but I don't have a lot of time until my next day off, Tuesday.
Bob's got it right, I worked at a coal plant and the stack was out from the building.
It had ID (induced draft) and FD (forced draft) fan houses but I would just model one between the stack and building. The stack was 250' high, the building was 150' high, and for what it's worth the deep well was the same depth as the stack height.
(okay Cliff Claven!)
The building in the paper mill kit is I believe the same as the one for the power plant kit?
A good looking stack can be fashioned from a wooden table leg or spindle.
DID not Walthers make a coal fired power plant awhile ago??? I remember building one and then like a fool I sold it !!!! I may have the box over in my workshop,I'll give it a look see.
N
One thing that was not mentioned was the type of cooling the power plant would use. There are several options available.
You need either river or lake water with a pump house. Depending on the size of the plant and the amount of water needed and available you may need a cooling tower(s). There are different types ranging from natural draft cooling towers (the ones everyone associates with nuke plants) to box type buildings with slats that allow the water to drip down to a sump while large fans mounted on top pull air in to cool the water.
Google cooling towers and I'm sure that you will get plenty of pictures of different types. A power plant can make an interesting model that could be a focal point of a model railroad. Also, don't forget the power lines coming in and going out (it takes electricity to make electricity) and maybe a switch yard for coal hoppers to be dumped. Also, the coal pile and a couple of dozers and/or scrapers to keep it piled correctly. There's actually a LOT that could be modeled if you so desire. It could rival a steel mill in detail and complexity, but in less space. Or you can keep it simple and most people would never notice what was missing.
I did managed to find the Walthers Norhern Light & Power model in N scale on Ebay and won the bid. I'll be using that kit for the power plant. I'll have to figure out the source of the water. I also got the Tomix power substation kit. I'll have a small switching yard with a dedicate switching engine.
I designed a modern power plant into a set of N scale sketches, for scratchbuilding, that include printable templates with directions. It is on 2 other sites, but I'm not sure if other site links are allowed here.