ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
Hi after analysis paralysis I have decided to build my version of the troy branch layout in the model railroader magazine from a few years back. I really like the track plan as it offers a lot of switching potential. One of the alterations I am making to the plan is to send it back 30 years to the late 60's when CNW was operating the janesville-milton branch. Also because of the time period an industry like an ethanol plant wouldn't fit that era so I am trying to figure out which industry I should include otherwise, I have been leaning towards a soy bean processing plant as it would fit the era but not the location of southern wisconsin. Anyway feedback is welcome.
Here is a picture of my small paper mill small yard
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking good. You might consider a flour mill. I model the transition era and there are a number of kits available for this type of industry. Almost all small towns had a grain elevator. Thsi would give you the opportunity to have loads moving within the layout. I have a lot more space than you have, but one thing I did try to do was to generate traffic within the layout. With a number of grain elevators in the town on my layout I did put in a mill which generates a lot of car movements within the layout and also provides outbound loads which end up going into hissen staging as outbound loads.
I personally really enjoy switching and this is what I built my layout for. I can see where even with the limited space you have, a fine switching layout is within your grasp. Waiting for updates.
Your idea of a soy bean processing plant is a reality in your time period just one state over in southern Minnesota. Mankato, where I live, is home to one of the largest plants in the country. It was served by CNW back in the 60's.
Have you considered breweries, oil dealers, livestock feed mills, lumber yards even beet and corn processing plants which were common trackside industries in Wisconsin in your era?
Greg
Have you considered breweries, oil dealers, livestock feed mills, lumber yards even beet processing plants were common trackside industries in Wisconsin in your era?
Greg
Stevezrx:
Check out the June 2008 issue of Model Railroader on how to make a small-town grain elevator.
Greg
wisconsin, what other industry is there than cheese.
wright2626:
There nothing like fresh sharp Baby Swiss cheese and a cold beer after a day of model railroading or rail fanning!
Enjoy.
Greg
I just picked up industries along the tracks 2 and it's all about coal, milk and dairy, breweries , paper, iron ore and Lcl traffic
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
A few more pictures
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Well-Known Member
Staff member
Yes sir
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
stevezrx:
The COOP complex looks great.
One another industry that's fun to model is a junk or salvage yard. Loads in and out via rail.
Greg

Yeah the coop is supposed to be my soybean plant. The small shed on 1st track is for coal the building in back is for loading bags of soymeal obviously track too is for soy unloading. Soybean oil can also be shipped in tank cars. It's a cool industry but really doesn't fit my Wisconsin cnw themed layout. But it's my layout and I like the switching.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Steve:
Soybean crops are a big farming activity in Wisconsin. In certain areas there are more soy fields than corn. Locals call soybeans, just beans.
Greg
Greg do you know which towns have soy bean mills.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Steve:
I'll do some research this coming weekend when I travel into Central Wisconsin, the land of the soybean crops.
Greg
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)