CN Weathering

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


meriachee

New Member
Can anybody offer insight on how to achieve the look of the primer showing through the black and stripes on the CN hood units? The proper paint sequence would be to paint the hood with primer, then black, then add the white stripes.

That said, proper weathering would have black and primer showing through the white, and only primer showing through the black.

How can one get this effect on a factory painted unit?

Cheers
Gary
 
I have asked that question before and I was told it is best to start with an undecorated unit. There was a very nice looking CN GP40-2W on last weeks Sunday Photo Fun over on the Atlas board that shows exactly the look you are after but it was a custom painted creation.
 
you would have to either to strip paint from the area you want to do, build it back up with colors closely matching, or go with a totally undecorated model. i think there is a technique using hairspray between layers that is supposed to help with the look of peeled paint.
 


You would probably be best off to follow the proto-type - red primer, paint the side white, mask off the diagonal stripes and spray black.

You could then either use an air blaster or chemically remove the paint very lightly exposing the red primer under the white and the white (and red primer) under the black.

Or you could take the artist's approach and just replicate what you see - not the process by which the real one ended up looking like that !


Mark.
 
You could paint primer over the spots you want it to show thru. Then do your weathering to blend it all. That's always worked for me in the past.


---
- Sent from my phone
 
I understand full well that starting from scratch would be fairly easy to replicate, but as I mentioned in the original post, I am not starting from scratch.

I'm leaning towards the thought of masking off the stripes, and dealing with each "layer" as a separate entity. The samples out there do show a pretty clear delineation between the various layers - there may be a lot of paint gone, but there's still a definite separation at the stripe edge. Then overall weather to dull the whole thing down a bit.

Methinks that decaling a piece of black painted plastic is where I'm going to start.
 
Quickest way I have found to do peeling paint on a prepainted model is to just paint it on like I did with this model. I use a very small brush and paint over the existing paint. It is very hard to tell when it is finished which color is painted first, unless you are very close to the model, as in a photo closeup.
 
rlundy90:
Looks like you printed off my photo of that unit from rrpicturearchives as your reference! :-)

This thing pretty much always parks in the same spot, so most photos of it there will be similar, but the precise angle (included the angle of the sun) and cropping is a match.

Glad someone found it useful. :-)
 
Rust is always fun.
I was playing with the little Sony camera today, and have finally decided that I don't like it - it's jerky, and it makes the trains look like they're jerking along, when they are not. Anyway, here's an action shot of the slug: http://youtu.be/royznIrcCRY

It's an Atlas GP7 chassis, milled to drop the motor 3/8" so the body fits. It's powered (obviously) and has SMT leds in the ends. The stanchions are by Smokey Valley, and the body is mostly sheet plastic with Canon EMD high hood ends, cut down. The rook is Canon EMD roof stock.

Enjoy.
 






Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top