ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
I'm starting to find information on a new project, A CN GP7
I have some question and i appreciate if someone can help me.
#1 I have some picture but if someone have some other, it's sure that it can be helpfull.
#2 I model # 4820, like i tell i have some picture but not a lot and some are very old and not clear. I see on CN lines web sites that some unit have flexicoil truck. What is the name of the commun truck on a GP7 ? and like my model are from Proto, does proto make flexicoil ?
#3 The footbar or Eric P-9 are probably accurate for this model ?
#4 I need information for the Horn, i don't have any picture to see the model, can anyone can help me with that ?
Yes, I've got a black and white photo Bob Boudreau sent me. It has one of those GP7's and that is the horn. I can't post the picture without his consent though. Hopefully he'll see this post and add it.
Yep but I believe the CNR called the long hood the front
The Horn required is a Detail Associates 1601 Nathan M3 Three Chime Horn http://lesliee.sasktelwebsite.net/cn9096.jpg you can see it here but it's a little offset to the engineer's side.
The GP9's had the horn on the short hood the GP18 had it on the nose of the long hood behind the bell.
Cheers
Willis
The GP7s came with both flexi-coils and blombergs. GP7s were all pretty much off the roster by 1980, succumbing to either scrap or as rebuild material for GP9rms or slugs.
You can't simply change the sideframes from blombergs to flexi's, the wheelbase is different.
CN units had the horn behind the second spark arrestor (front is the longhood end) Some GPs had the horn right on the front of the longhood, but that was sometimes because of snowshields on the roof. Most GP9s had 2 flutes fwd, 1 flute back, but I've seen some with 3 flutes fwd, or 2 flutes back, 1 fwd...
CN only had GP7s and 9s, no GP18s. GTW and CV had a handfull of 18s tho. I'm not aware of any CN GP7's-9's with horns mounted on the short hood.
On the picture that i have of the 4820 that i model, i clearly see that it's definitively like the first picture and my truck need to be changed ( if possible)
I read the GP7 had born with flexicoil and changed after that but i don't know when, i don't know if it come with flexicoil painted black and red. If someone know that it can be helpfull.
THe next question is to see if it's possible to change them ?
I already read but i'M not sure to enderstand corectly.
Flexicoil trucks from 4100-4133 ( Come from GP9 ) were fitted beginning in early 1967 (Mod.HQ-8081). Right ?
By November 1969 all units were listed in the Mechanical Dept. diagrams as having Flexicoil trucks (information from Don McQueen and Ray Corley). If this was indeed the case then several units were refitted with Blomberg trucks after only a few years as shown by the photographic evidence.
I enderstand that all unit was originaly build with bloomberg truck ?
After that some or all engine was "upgraded" with flexicoil ?