CN GP40-2LW Kitbash

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


iomalley your widecab is perfect !!! :rolleyes: Everything look like to be the correct size, its very accurate !!!

I wish one day someone will sell resin molded steps and pilot kit for the GP-40-2LW !

Railflyer makes brass kits for the steps and pilots for GP40-2L(W). They'll be available assembled in the new year if soldering brass parts isn't your thing.
 
Atlas botched the nose length on the widecabs and botched the long hood end as well. The long hood end has two headlights instead of one, and has numberboards, which is only correct for the GO Transit model. Instead of retooling a correct one for CN, they simply painted the GO Transit model for CN, and all of the other roads that have them like Pan Am Railways.

Atlas totally botched it up and should have released it as a trainman rather than making people pay $200 for a model without sound.
 
HI !

For the Atlas, Atlas write that it make the 2 model's of CN The 2 rear light for the ex-go and the one light for CN version with the corect numberboard for each one.

Anyway i prefer to wait to see them before to tell that's this part are not corect but for all the wide cab that you can find in the market no one are corect, one are to long, other is to short, other is to high... etc...

Other fact, the major part of modeller are not interrested or able to put a decals on a freight car... they don't waste her time to check if the nose are too long...

Athearn make CN Dash-9 and it have 2 page of correction to make it accurate and everyone buy them. It will be better if the wide cab of atlas was 100% accurate but if it's acceptable it's not to bad.

THanks !
 


Atlas released photos of the completed models. What you're saying is not what I'm seeing. Still, the nose is noticably too long because of the oversized nose grab.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi !

Nothing is impossible is for that that i prefer to see exactly what is it before to talk about them.

I will check rapidly if i find the picture that i see and post them if i find it.

THanks !
 
CN did purchase some former GO units, numbers 9668 to 9677 and they kept the dbl rear lights, class lights and numberboards. They were all the GF-430e class.

In the pic of 9658 (which is a CN unit since new) I attached, the second unit is already renumbered 9674 but retains the GO paint.
 

I can't find the photos anymore, bue Atlas had a painted CN unit with the GO rear with the wrong road number (the road number was for a CN unit with a CN rear)

The nose is too long as shown by the horrible oversized nose grab.
 
Oh I see now, ;) you mean that there's a GO version in CN paint with a number somewhere between 9633 to 9667 (the GF-430d's) that is in fact wrong if Atlas does that.
 
diburning. you are right and so is iomalley. Cccccoooollllll I don't know what you are looking at, or what you are drinking.

Atlas is........well Atlas! They never did a correct Canadian model and I don't see them starting now. Why would they? Their market is south of the border. Most people won't mind as long as the errors are not "in your face".





Happy New Year
 
Last edited by a moderator:


Highroller, Excellent work!!

C'est vraiment tres bien ce que tu as fait ! Bravo !

J'aime bien cette photo. Ton model est sensas !

.

attachment.php
 
Hi !

I find this picture and i compare with this one of atlas and for this model it look accurate... no ?

http://www.cnrphotos.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=26277&g2_imageViewsIndex=2

Anyway, if someone don't like this model, just don't buy it ! lol

MLW : It's true that i'm not the better in english and sometime i'm searching my word but i try !!! If you think that my english it's not enough for you just don't read and answer to me.

I'm here to learn and try to explain my point and if what i tell is wrong, anyone can tell me, but try to explain me more with picture or something like that.

Your comments like the last one are not necessary and are not usefull for anybody.

I hope that you enderstand.

THanks !
 
It's true that i'm not the better in english and sometime i'm searching my word but i try !!!
Hi ccool
IMHO, Your English is fine (a lot better than my French), It's not a perfect world and neither are all it's inhabitants. Here we just try to get along. Keep up the great work and keep posting.
Nuff said on the subject

Cheers
Willis
 
highroller- They look great and your doing a phenomenal job, but ive got one question, do you plan on putting a pilot plow on the locomotive?
 
highroller- They look great and your doing a phenomenal job, but ive got one question, do you plan on putting a pilot plow on the locomotive?

Yes, I will add more details soon.

Ccool you have a good point about modelers who don't want to modify locomotives and personaly I can live with unaccurate models as long as they look good and they are not too high priced.

It is very difficult to have a true and accurate model to the smallest detail unless you are a very talented modeler and you put a lot of time and money in your modification or a collector who spend 500$ and more on brass masterpieces. I'm neither of those individual so the main reason why I modified my locomotives is because most of the CN prototypes are not available on the market.

My 2W is not better than Atlas, the pilots and steps are unnacurate but I build most of the parts myself using only styrene sheet ! The overall look is not bad and most important, it was cheap to build.

There is different needs for different modelers and all have their reasons to be and I think the point here is that while the Atlas 2LW is not looking bad I think it should be cheaper than the price they ask for since there is no
reason in 2010 that a company build unnacurate models with all the technology available.

I assume it will sell on Ebay for half the price in a year or two so I may decide to buy one then :D.
 
Hi !

I agree all what you tell, but like you tell anyone make a accurate model for CN, each one make the choice that he want and it's corect like that.

Your model are very good looking.

You make them yourself and you have fun, it's the important point !

I will buy a Atlas because.... if i buy a standard model i will pay around 100$ ... the wide cab is around 40$ and the DCC decoder is about 30$ for this price i will have a ready to roll with DCC and sound, same if it have some error i will corect them or live with them.

If i find the cab too big, i just replace them with a another one.... anyway each one make what he want :)

THanks !
 






Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top