ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
By jobe, I think he's got it!

Great Job! Looks good. Thank you for the your progress update.
iomalley, your collection looks great too. Would not mind seeing more.
Thanks guys!
Model is ready for painting, will post pictures when done.
Here some basic painting done.
I also replaced the old Athearn Blue Box motor/drive/trucks with newer RTR parts. The wheels are now 40" instead of the oversize 42" and it is a big improvement in the overall appearance of the model.
I applied a base coat of Floquil (solvent based) primer to make the acrylic paint stick to the Athearn factory paint.
The color for this project are Testor Model Master Chevy Engine Red, Polly Scale Reefer white and Engine black. I will use Microscale decals for the yellow stripes from their CN North America set.
Thats it for now, more to come soon.
Boy, coming along great. I like the changes to the wheels, it does make the engine look better.
Here is two freshly painted models. My kitbashed CN Dash 2W and a new Atlas GP-40 to be decorated as an Illinois Central Operation Lifesaver unit.
Hi !
It look beautifull

The fun part ! I started applying decals today !
Fantastic! You'll be happier with this than the error-ful Atlas coming? (if they don't retool the nose)
What are you using for handrails? Precision scale stanchions and brass wire?
Nice paint and decals. I always look at that map on the side and wonder if CN has designs on the Alaska Railroad and the NdeM next.

Fantastic! You'll be happier with this than the error-ful Atlas coming? (if they don't retool the nose)
What are you using for handrails? Precision scale stanchions and brass wire?
I know, I hope Atlas will do something about it but the Detail Associates cab I used for this project as something wrong too, I should have used a Railflyer or Kaslo cab instead.
To keep things simple I will use a set of Athearn RTR plastic handrail, they look better than the old blue box one and they are quicker to install.
The paint would have been much better if I had stripped the model instead of brushing several coat of primer over the original paint before airbrushing the final colors
Decals job is almost done, here some pics.
Here is some pics with grab irons and lift ring.
This Dash 2W project was fun to do, it was a personal challenge and even with some innacuracies here and there, the overall look of the model is better than I first tought it would be.
I still have more detail parts to install before completion but I will put the project aside for some time since I have to resume the scenery job on my layout.
Thanks again for all your comments and support !

Very impressive, great job on the W! You'll be pleased to know Atlas botched the cab on theirs...so yours will always look better!
You've inspired me to thumb my nose at Atlas and finish my Widecab...
Highroller you have inspired me to buil dnew pilots,raise to the correct height, and build a new front porch for my KCS GP22ECO-M an ex-KCS GP40-2LW that is an ex-CN GP40-2LW.
-Damian
iomalley your widecab is perfect !!!

Everything look like to be the correct size, its very accurate !!!
I wish one day someone will sell resin molded steps and pilot kit for the GP-40-2LW !
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)