CN GP40-2LW Kitbash

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


.

julienjj Funny fact about that loco, in 1998 a major black-out crippled the electric network in quebec and ontario,the power was out for a bit more than 10 days in a very very cold winter,the mayor had the idea of taking a loco for a electric generator to power an emergency center where people had taken refuge the loco was lifted then moved on its wheel 1000 feet away from the track and left groove in the street

here is a pic

is that whats called street running ?

C'est pas la bonne loco bonhomme.

Y-a pas un site en francais ou tu va plus souvent? J'imagine que ton francais est mieux que ton anglais. Peu tu ajouter des commentaires plus constructif, plus cibler? Plus intelo? J'te dit ca d'meme la...fache toe pas.
 
Why the heck would they move the whole locomotive 1000 feet rather than run some wiring from the generators to the nearest distribution wiring that led to the evacuation center? Seems like a lot of work when some linesmen with the right equipment could have done the same thing in a couple of hours.
 
Why the heck would they move the whole locomotive 1000 feet rather than run some wiring from the generators to the nearest distribution wiring that led to the evacuation center? Seems like a lot of work when some linesmen with the right equipment could have done the same thing in a couple of hours.

Because a huge percent of the pole wiring was brokent and it would have needed some linesmen from the power compagny to isolate a circuit from the track to the evacuation center. The CN did not had a siding close, so it would have blocked the traffic going to a local reffinery. but they had a crane , a loco and only one strait flat street beetween a crossing and the center. Linesmen where kinda busy too, even the vermont send theirs to help, they had to repair those super high voltage main lines going to ontario and usa, wich a lot of them where crused by the weight of ice
 


Good points, Julien. I had forgotten just how bad the infrastructure damage was from that ice storm. There was more help sent than just from Vermont though. I was working as a consultant for Pacific Gas and Electric Company in California at the time. The Air Force sent a C-5A to pick up 16 trucks and associated equipment and we flew 20 crews into Toronto to assist. I think there were crews and equipment from almost every part of the US that went to help. Our guys were gone for almost a month and they said things were still a mess when they left.
 
I put shim under the shell so now the loco sit higher over the frame. When I will replace the wheels with 40" (Athearn use 42" wheels on their blue box models) it should be close to the correct height...I hope.

I also added strip under the skirt, make new jack pads and coupler blocks.

This is not an easy project since the drawing of the GP-40-2W I have are not accurate as I tought so I'm now using only pictures of the real one.
 
After comparing my last pictures and real photos, I noticed that my steps and anticlimber were too large so I took my razor saw I cut the steps. I also made a new anticlimber !

I think now it will look more accurate.

Have to take a break since this mod will drive me crazy ! LOL :D
 
Sweeeeet!
icon14.gif


J'ai hate de voir ca une fois peinturer etc.. :)
 
iomalley, great loco. What did you use for the cab? Railflyer?

No, all my widecabs (2 GPs and 1 SD) use the defunct Canadian Prototype Replica cabs. They are one piece injection moulded cabs and are a pleasure to build. They were THE most accurate cab until Railflyer came along. I did recently purchase a railflyer, but the level of detail (while awesome) is further than I want to go. I can have a CP Replica cap on the model in 15 minutes, but the railflyer needs hours of prep before you can add it to the model.

But, kudos to Chris at railflyer for making the quintessential cab. BTW, the recently announced Atlas GP40-2w cab is WRONG, the nose is too long, but I anticipate most people won't care.

sorry highroller, I don't mean to blab too much and hijack your post...
 
Last edited by a moderator:


Nice looking job on the kitbash, HR. It does look better with the steps and anticlimber cut back.

SGS, those are some really fine looking CN models. The noses on the CN engines seemed to vary a lot from model to model so I'm not surprised that Atlas would get it a little wrong.
 
Brad, great models. Very nice indeed! I didn't know about Altas error, but I don't intend to get any. I'll wait until TLT or Rapido make some (or raylflyer -if RTR-)

Again great models.

Cheers
 
Very nice locos! I'd love to do up a chopped 9.
I heard Intermountain is releasing an SD40-s wide nose?
 
No problem SGS, its great to have your input on this post ! You have very nice models !!!!

My kitbash went wrong, my last change was a complete failure since the steps ended way too narrow so I decided to build new steps ! :mad:

Hopefully, I found a databook of CN locos and got some basic dimensions of the 2W so this time I think it will be pretty accurate. I measured 55 feet from one pilot to the other, exaclty like the real loco. I also changed the height and width of the step well !!!

I'm not sure the Detail Associate cab is accurate but I will live with it !

Hope to get it right this time !!
 


Here it is with my new step assembly. After many design changes, I finally got it right to my taste. The anticlimber is a little wide but I will correct that later.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top