Cleaning track?

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Derek44

New Member
Hi, newbie here. I have some EZ track thats been in a box for about 2 years. I put it together, wired it all up and my train gets no power. I quess my queston is, how do I clean the track. I really believe that is the problem. Whats the best way to clean EZ Track? Thanks
 
Having sat up that long it's most likely oxidized. First rub the rails down with cloth dampened with alcohol. Next give them a good rubbing with one of those big pink school erasers. You'll see a difference right away. If you want a more permanent solution (requires more work on your part) lightly sand the tops of the rails with 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper (in the direction of travel of the rails) followed by another sanding with 800 grit. Next use a flat piece of stainless steel big enough to span both rails . Just place it flat on the track and while pressing down on it move it back and forth in the direction of travel of the rails. This burnishes the railheads and closes up any nicks or gouges (potential dirt collectors) in the metal. Now on to the next step. Apply a light coating of metal polish (I use Blue Magic metal polish, found in auto parts stores) to the railheads and allow to dry. Once the polish is dry buff it off with a piece of cork, such as that used as roadbed material. I use bulletin board cork that I get at Wal-Mart. You will be absolutely shocked at how much crud comes off. Use a new piece of cork for each 2 sections of track. Since I did this on my layout in 2005 I haven't had to give it a real cleaning since. Just a quick wipe with a dry cloth is all that's required.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top