Cleaning O gauge track?

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


nwdrummer379

Class of '11
As I was helping my girlfriend get some christmas decorations out of her basement when I discovered a long lost train set of theirs that they used to put around their tree. Its a K-Line set with 3 rail steel track from 1990 "The Hudson Valley Special). The track is sort of rusty and I can get the locomotive to run briefly but the center rail electrical contacts spark continously. I really want to get this set up and running for them so whats the best way I can clean the track and locomotive?
 
I have no experience with this but the first thing I'd try is a very fine grit sandpaper and a very large bottle of elbow grease. You'll only need to do the tops, and the rusty sides will only add to the visual modeling aspects.

But this is definitely not my forte.
________
OREGON DISPENSARIES
 
Last edited by a moderator:


DON'T USE SANDPAPER! I use Scotchbrite and a little WD-40.

I also have a set of really small rotary brushes to clean the inside of the connections.
 
DON'T USE SANDPAPER! I use Scotchbrite and a little WD-40.

I also have a set of really small rotary brushes to clean the inside of the connections.
 
Ditto on the Scotch-Brite. I use it as well for regular track cleaning. It works great and keeps the rail tops very clean
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top