Cleaning Hornby track

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


masterian

New Member
I have a quantity of 1970's vintage Hornby track , points etc which is badly tarnished and am looking for a method to clean them.
Would save some money if I can use this track instead of purchasing new. Currently setting up a layout using Peco 100 track
 
I don't know if there is anything special that you need to use for such old track, but I think most people will tell you to use either alcohol or paint thinners to remove the majority of the build up.

I do know of people who have successfully maintained their track using a fine grade sand paper. Before I did the though, 'd start with paint thinner on a lint free rag/cloth, it might take a couple of applications to get it all off. Failing that, I would then try using some fine grade sandpaper (very lightly) to remove the tough stuff then go over that with either paint thinner or alcohol.
 
Tony is right, sand paper is your last resort.

After cleaning with any track cleaner you like, alcohol, or any other track cleaners. My next step would be a track eraser.

For stubborn corrosion I would try this.
http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Walthers-Cratex-Abrasive-Block-XF-p/949-522.htm

Like Tony said if all else fails then use a very fine sand paper or emery cloth.

Be sure to clean your track again with track cleaner to remove and fine particles left from the eraser and or abrasives. I like to use a hand held vacuum (my new favorite tool) before and after cleaning.

To prevent corrosion I would use a product like this for the final cleaning.
http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Pacer-Technology-LLC-Rail-Zip-p/ptc-pt23.htm
If you ask one of the model railroad experts they may know of a cheaper product that prevents corrosion.

The reason you want to stay away from harsh abrasives is that they can leave behind small scratches in the track that will collect dirt and could cause a loss of electrical connectivity between the locomotive and the track. If nothing else a scratched track will require more maintenance then a track that is not scratched.

If it were me I would use track with minor scratches that I already have rather then I would buy new track, I don't mind extra maintence.

Let us know how you make out.

If I have not already said so; Welcome to the forum, glad to have you onboard!
 


Thanks for your help Have been sidetracked into working in the garden the last couple of days but will experiment with the paint stripper, trackcleaner and eraser and see how it works
Thanks
Ian
 
I've used real leather shammy patches with gun cleaner with very good results. The film left behind protects without being slick like WD40.
 
Your 1970 Hornby track is Steel rather than Nickel Steel and needs to be cleaned either with a Track Cleaning Rubber or if it is badly tarnished or rusty a fine Emery Paper on a small wooden block should do the trick.
 
I would also try one of the tarnish remover liquids, like Tarn-Away. It may remove the corrosion. It's designed for cleaning finer metals like silver and gold, but I was successful using it to remove some black tarnish from a nickel-chrome locomotive. Took about 30 seconds. I'd wet a lint free cloth with it and rub it on the rail to see if it will remove the tarnish and corrosion.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top