ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
Of the Three different types of track what would you all use and feel free to chime in with why.
None of the above. Micro Engineering track, with switches from Central Valley and Proto:87 stores for best appearance. Walthers or Atlas in "off-scene" areas. Peco is prohibitively expensive in my area.
I have used Atlas Code 100 because it is readily available locally, but my next layout will use Codes 83 and 70 Micro-Engineering...which isn't one of the choices on which I could vote.
-Crandell
Can't vote because mine aren't listed.
Peco code 100 on the mains, ME code 83 on sidings, yards, and other than main tracks.
I'm using Atlas code 83 for the entire layout, besides 2 of my curved turnouts which are shinoharas.
I'm gonna go with Atlas code 83. The switches seam to have gotten a lot better, though the damage has been done to their reputation. The only way I can get Shinohara is to order online and I've never seen one in person so I wouldn't spend money on such an unknown. Peco is very good but I've found them to be triple the cost of the Atlas switches. If it were only 1-2 switches sure, but when that cost difference is multiplied by all the switches I'd need, the entire layout actually becomes financially unfeasible. If money was no object, then Peco.
I'm using atlas code 83 throughout my layout..peco and walthers are too expensive and same with micro engineering...I've done some handlaying in the past and didnt want to go that route for a few reasons, time being the main one... But considering I am doing a switching layout the cost of the turnouts was the factor in my decision
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)