ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
I was wondering if anyone knows what size chain (links per inch) is used for detailing in HO?
I know loco end safety chain is 40 LPI
But what about Brake chains?
Loco brake cylinder chain?
Box car (or any car for that matter) brake chain?
Any others I haven't thought of??
Chain comes in several different sizes for this. I have some 42 link, 50 link and IIRC 36 link. Just check the Walthers catalog.
From what I figure:
50 LPI = approx. 1.75" links
42 LPI = approx. 2.00" links
40 LPI = approx. 2.18" links
36 LPI = approx. 2.35" links
I don't know how big prototypical chain is, probably a bit smaller than scale chain is available in? I'm guessing prototype chain is closer to 1" (which roughly= 0.011" in HO), that's around 84 LPI?
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)