ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
which paint does better in weathering rust, ceramacote colors or an artist's oil paint like burnt umber?
ty
mark
Probably depends on what you're painting on. I've never gotten tube acrylics to stick well on plastic. They're great for porous surfaces (wood, plaster), though. I don't have a whole lot of experience with either; give both a try, see what you like.
An important part of weathering is variation, so don't expect to just use one color.
Without knowing what type of surface you are painting on, I'd say the artist's oils.
IIRC ceramacote is usually on the craft paint isle right? If you're applying directly to the typical plastic freight car, then yes definitely the oils or a better quality acrylic than ceramacote.
Both. Using both will give different, not necessarily wrong, results. There is a lot of variation in rust in the real world. Do a couple of cars using each and see what you prefer, neither will be 'wrong' and will add variety.
I like oils for their long working time, so the colors can be blended (or worked with a brush) a bit more. Acrylics ( I use Ceramacote too) are great for their quick dry times and ease of cleanup.
I can achieve pretty much the same result with both mediums; and slightly different but the same, is what I like to see.
I like using artists acrylic tube paint in burnt umber and burnt sienna for rust. They're like the oils but easier cleanup. For dirt, oil and just a grimey look I'll use Poly-s paints in my airbrush.
I also have black, brown and grey washes made from Ceramacote and other acrylics like them, thinned with water a a drop or two of dish washing detergent to break the surface tension and let them flow into crevices a bit better.
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)