Ceiling layout

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


calidus_dolium

New Member
Hey all,


First post here. I'm putting up a track on the ceiling that's running a full loop in one room, going through the wall and a full loop into the other room. About 100ft of track in all and 2 wyes.


The levelness is all within about 0.10 degrees around the whole shabang.


I used peco code 83 track and #6 wyes (HO scale).


All turns are banked by 3 degrees. The transition to banked is just what the peco code 83 flex track will allow naturally and it rises to the 3 degrees, which I will glue in situ. I used my mitutoyo 3600 inclinometer for leveling it all out.


Both room loops have an AR1 on it along with separate wire runners to keep the amps/volts normalized through the loop(s).


Here's my question, I want to use the wyes to just manually flip as the train passes. Thatll allow the train to run the loops in both directions. My question is if there's anything I need to do to the wyes for the manual switching to not be an issue over time or anything I need to know? I know the wyes snap into place once they switch, but will that mechanism might wear out? I dont really have the ability to add electronic switches to the flippers unfortunately. My young kids are controlling the speed and sounds with a digitrax zephyr, but controlling the switch would likely have 100 deraillings daily. I also want to let them use any of my HO scale trains on this track they want, so I want to make sure the heavier brass ones won't derail and meet their heads....

Thank you in advance!
 
Last edited:
IMG_20241023_144550.jpg

26" on the inner and about 30" on the otter edge. I'm going to run the turn at 28" and then fan it out to probably closer to 30" at the straight transition.

IMG_20241024_111619.jpg

Getting the corners in so I can get the in between measurements.

IMG_20241022_103401.jpg

This tunnel was initially for a 2 way track, but I changed it to a single track down the middle.

IMG_20241022_132312.jpg


The tube as it was entering the wall. About 6ft and 2 closets.
 


Welcome to the group!

I have been manually finger flicking my Peco code 83 turnouts for years and have yet to have one wear out or get weak. Not to say it cant happen, but I've yet to experience it. Some of mine are in use on their second layout. If you are worried about and want the cheap insurance, you could always use Caboose ground throws.

Be sure to update us as you make more progress, looks like a cool project!
 
Welcome to the group!

I have been manually finger flicking my Peco code 83 turnouts for years and have yet to have one wear out or get weak. Not to say it cant happen, but I've yet to experience it. Some of mine are in use on their second layout. If you are worried about and want the cheap insurance, you could always use Caboose ground throws.

Be sure to update us as you make more progress, looks like a cool project!
That's good news. I read that they were good quality.

I'm not familiar with the caboose ground throw.
 
I read up on them. It seems to have a fully manual switch that's flipped via the caboose is actually quite difficult in the tuning of it. And I'd think that over time it would need more fiddling. I came across a Reed switch setup that might work better. Though a Reed operated switch seems like it would keep the train always going the same way through the loop.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top