ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
Thanks. I used chalks and brought out some of the details with a grimy black wash.
I really like the plastic accurail uses; it is very easy to carve off the moulded details. Unfortunately they don't make much that I require for the railroad I'm modeling and era.
Here is a sample of one of their hoppers that I kitbashed and added brass details.
I used a photo of the prototype to use as a guide. I noticed that that most of the boards on the car were faded almost to the point of being pinkish. So I added a little white paint to a bottle of CN red#11 then brushed it on many individual boards and on the braces. The rest was weathered with chalks and a wash of thinned grimy black. Before I did all this, I dullcoted the car and after all the weathering was done. I dullcoted it again. This shot shows the highlights better.