car height

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Ren

New Member
Hi everyone, I've got a question.
Got a 50' Athearn RTR Railbox box car. It had those crappy plastic couplers on it and I've switched em out for kadee's with an overset shank. I also shaved down the area where the trucks are mounted on the frame because of the height issue. I don't want to shave off any more plastic as it might interfere with wheel/truck clearance. Anyone have some ideas that could drop the height?
 
normally you don't actually change the height of the car, you shim the coupler box to lower it. On Athearn, it means removing it and replacing it with the Kadee box, with shims as required.
 
Kadee also makes offset couplers in some of the numbers. They have centerset, and offset up or down.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top