Can I use these in an airbrush

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


I would not recommend them. They are formulated for brushing, not spraying, but if you want to give them a try thin with water to the consistency of milk. Some I know have used them but they are very accomplished airbrushers, and their general opinion was: not worth the trouble. You'll experience less frustration with paints formulated for spraying, though you may spend a few more bucks. Good Luck! ;)
 


Are these acrylic paints safe to use in an airbrush? If so what would be best to thin it with?

Folk Art Paint

I see no reason why not, although I have never used them I doubt that they will be a much different formulation from most other craft acrylics.

The best thing to try as thinners would be automotive screen wash. Test it by putting a very small amount of paint on a white non-absorbent surface, then use a brush full of screen wash to thin it out. If it forms a nice transparent wash with no lumps then it should be suitable for spraying.

Keep your mixes thin to start off with, and build up the colour density in layers untill you are confident with the paint.

Good luck!

Phil
 
what is automotive screen wash? Do you mean windshield washer fluid? Will the blue tint in it affect color mixture?
 
Yes, windscreen fluid. I guess the blue tint will have a slight effect, but really it would only be noticeable if you were using a really thin wash.

Like Espeefan says, these paints are probably not ideal, but since you have already bought them you might as well have a go.

If you want a clear thinner then you cannot beat Auto-Air 4011 reducer, but it is probably a hundred times more expensive than screen wash!

Cheers

Phil
 
That auto reducer isn't that expensive. $6 for a 4ox bottle. I was thinking alot more then that and that it was only available in europe since that where your from. LOL

But yea if you compare $4 for a gallon of windshield washing fluid to the price it would take to purchase a gallon of auto reducer, it will be wayyyyy more expensive.

Maybe i'll pick up a bottle tomorrow from pearl paints by me.
 
Go for it, it's great stuff. I use nothing else, but screen wash is good in an emergency, and is much cheaper to use for flushing out your brush afterwards...

Phil
 
I have used the Folkart paints with pretty good success on structures but won't use them on my rolling stock. I stick to Pollyscale for the rolling stock. The Folkart is made for brushing as someone else said. It is formulated using coarser pigments and won't cover as well or lay down as flat as Polyscale or other paints made just for modelling. Thinning with windshield washer antifreeze will work fine but do not mistake it for the bug removing summer type becuase this has a totally different chemistry. You want the blue kind that is alcohol based. The blue tint isn't noticeable at all when it is sprayed. I use this for thinning all acrylics. The washer fluid also makes the paint dry a bit slower giving it more time to flow out and doesn't plug the brush nearly as frequently as when using water. I clean my brush with the washer fluid as well and once a month with another product called Goof Off. This stuff disolves the acrylic paint with ease and really does a nice job of cleaning your brush. Mine is about 4 years old now and still looks like the day I bought it.
 


thanks guys. the folk art stuff would be for weathering only. Not fully painting anything.

I use it for weathering, but wouldn't paint rolling stock with it. For weathering though, I actually prefer spraying it. I thin it about 60 (water) to 40 (paint) and spray at 25psi and it works well for me out of my dual action airbrush. Works well for me.
 
i have no plans on using this paint to fully paint any cars. Just weather and dirty rolling stock and engines. what psi should i use?
 
I have to disagree here with the panel on using washer fluid as a thinner for acrylics. When atomized and inhaled, it can cause damage to the central nervous system. From About:

windshield wiper fluid - Wiper fluid is toxic if you drink it, plus some of the poisonous chemicals are absorbed through skin, so it is toxic to touch. Swallowing ethylene glycol can cause brain, heart, and kidney damage, and possibly death. Inhalation can cause dizziness. The methanol in wiper fluid can be absorbed through the skin, inhaled, or ingested. Methanol damages brain, liver, and kidneys and can cause blindness. The isopropyl alcohol acts as a central nervous system depressant, causing drowsiness, unconsciousness, and potentially death.

In addition, washer fluid and isopropyl alcohol dry more quickly than distilled water, causing dry tip problems. We can all attest to this when using these products for what they're originally intended. Dry tip on an airbrush can be avoided in general by buying the proper thinners or retarders for acrylics. Those contain appropriate binders that will avoid adhesion problems sometimes associated with using distilled water.

I know we like to build railroads on a shoe string budget, but this is one area not worth risking your health. Please, get the right stuff if distilled water is not workable for your project.
 
Last edited by a moderator:




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top