can I add smoke to a Bachmann Berkshire?

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


cujo600

New Member
First off, hello. First post. A couple years ago I got back into model railroading, now with my son. We are running a DC layout and we are looking into making an addition to the family:

View attachment 17763

We are both fans of this locomotive, a Berkshire, Nickel Plate 765. And really want a smoking version of this in HO. The only Berkshire's I can find are Bachmann, one version is the Rail Fan version (shown above) and has no smoke generator. The other they offer is die cast, has smoke, but they don't offer it in the Nickel Plate Road. And the die cast is too expensive, $360 MSRP.

So, would it be feasible to add a smoke generator to this loco?
Any recommendations on smoke units?
Anyone know of any other manufacturers that offer HO Berkshires?
Am I nuts for even trying to add smoke to this loco?

thanks,
Joe
 
I have a steamer I installed one on. Seuthe has a few different sizes and you may be able to get one the right size to fit within the stack on the Berk.
Wiring is simple. Just hooks up the same way the motor does. Walthers carries them and a well stocked hobby shop generally does too. They use a specific fluid also made by Seuthe which is a kind of oil base. If you put too much in it sputters out tiny droplets that get on the locomotive.
 
I have the same loco in DCC and have taken it apart a few times to add weight.
I think in stock form it has room for a smoke unit but you will have to wire it into track power. I recall it has a LED head light so that power source is no good as the smoke unit needs more power than is sent to the LED headlight you could run wires to the motor for power. the biggest issues is mounting the unit so that it does not melt the plastic.

Trent
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top