ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
Kyle, it's just a platform for the crew to use when the head end power is pushing, or shoving a train. No motive power involved in a shoving platform. I don't know the exact origin of the term but it's common to hear crews making up trains or dropping cars to say things like "Shove 'em back four cars". I would guess that already common term of shoving cars just got transfered to a shoving platform.
Really guys, I appreciate all this insight on the issue. I am definitely looking to pick up a BN caboose for my layout now. As well, I have a good idea how it is actually incorporated too.