CA Glue

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


leestevenson

ONE TRACK MIND
I know it has likely been discussed many of times. Proper use of CA glue. How to not get white stains, or a brand that is durable and stain free. Working for the railway myself, I have little time to spend looking at every possibility and would rather spend the time on the models themselves. Any pointers?
 
I've had good luck with "Zap", "Hot Stuff", and "Jet" brands. These are, in essence, "name" brands and are available at my local (non-model railroad) hobby shops. I've had poor results using the cheap no name / house brand stuff from Harbor Freight, Walmart, etc. I have several different types of applicators and never use the built in bottle cap applicator.
 
I've had good luck with "Zap", "Hot Stuff", and "Jet" brands. These are, in essence, "name" brands and are available at my local (non-model railroad) hobby shops. I've had poor results using the cheap no name / house brand stuff from Harbor Freight, Walmart, etc. I have several different types of applicators and never use the built in bottle cap applicator.

I get the white residue from the Zap. What are you using for applicators and how would you maintain them?
 


I live by Gorilla brand super glue. Never had any white residue that I used to see with Zap. I buy mine at Home Depot. Another advantage is that I have never had a bottle "solidify" up before I used it all, which is more than I can say about other brands that I have tried.
Willie
 
I live by Gorilla brand super glue. Never had any white residue that I used to see with Zap. I buy mine at Home Depot. Another advantage is that I have never had a bottle "solidify" up before I used it all, which is more than I can say about other brands that I have tried.
Willie

That is what I use for all my CA needs, too. I put a drop or two on a scrap of paper and apply to my items with sharpened end of a toothpick.
 
I went to Home Depot to buy my first bottle of CA glue to assemble a BLMA model, and I was dizzy with the huge selection of CA products they had. I finally settled on Loctite Ultra Gel Control, which was like $1.50 more than "regular" Loctite Control Gel. I couldn't tell what the claimed difference was supposed to be between the two products, but the "Ultra" came with "20% more free," so I gave it a shot.

Seems to work well. I use the bottle's applicator, which is fairly fine-tipped, and is pretty easy to apply in small drops. The applicator tip is translucent so you can see when the product is about to flow through the tip. You squeeze the bottle from the "gripped" sides, not the front and back sides (which isn't immediately obvious), and is easy to depress.
 
Going to have to try Willie's brand. I've used most all different brands - always seemed to like Zap best.
I keep the bottle in the refigerator after opening and let it sit out a few minutes before using. It seems to last longer that way. Most times I just grab the small 4 tubes to a pack for $2.00 at HD.
 
What are you using for applicators and how would you maintain them?

Sorry for the delay in replying. I use a number of different "tools" as applicators, including tooth picks, micro sponges, insulin syringes, and loop end and split end dental tools (which I've had for years - I bought them at the San Jose (CA) Swap meet.) To clean the dental tools, I use full strength acetone.
 
I went to Home Depot to buy my first bottle of CA glue to assemble a BLMA model, and I was dizzy with the huge selection of CA products they had. I finally settled on Loctite Ultra Gel Control . . .

I just wanted to report that I went to use my Loctite glue after several days after opening it, and the cap works! The nozzle isn't glued-shut, and the product still flows easily out of its bottle.
 


I haven't been able to completely use up a bottle of CA glue in over 30 years. Despite always trying to clean off the applicator tip, I will end up with a bottle of glue that I can't get into. I always end up getting the smallest bottle available and always have a fresh spare on hand.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top