Buying a Train Set without the Train?

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Is it possible to buy the controller/transformer and track without having to buy the train associated with the train set? I know that this is a weird question but I just wanted to ask the question.

(I've posted this at another forum - so if you see this thread again, you don't have to post at both).

HO scale sorry.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Well, if you dont get the train, then it isnt a "train set". Not really sure what you are aiming at here, but any part can be bought indiviually. Check out Woodland Scenics and Atlas, they sell track kits that have all the pieces to build your track layout.
 
Hi Far Side,
Absolutely, you can by the various components individually and get a better selection of the items you like and want.

That's the way I always did it. It does help you to determine a specific Road name you prefer to model and also to pick the time period of your equipment not that it has to be precisely of a certain year etc.

Also by choosing your various pieces as you prefer you can pick the type of power pack/ Hand Throttle you like as well as the type of track and switches.

By choosing the various things yourself you have a lot more freedom to get what you desire rather than having to settle for what comes in a set.

Hth?
 


Hi Far Side,
Absolutely, you can by the various components individually and get a better selection of the items you like and want.

That's the way I always did it. It does help you to determine a specific Road name you prefer to model and also to pick the time period of your equipment not that it has to be precisely of a certain year etc.

Also by choosing your various pieces as you prefer you can pick the type of power pack/ Hand Throttle you like as well as the type of track and switches.

By choosing the various things yourself you have a lot more freedom to get what you desire rather than having to settle for what comes in a set.

Hth?

This may sound like a dumb question, what bits would I have to buy if I were to buy the pieces individually?

-Track
-Controller
-Plug into wall
-Track that connect the layout to the controller
-Wire
 
Far Side of the World,


I'm assuming you are referring to HO scale: Kato makes a track set which includes what you have listed, that is,

-Track
-Controller
-Plug into wall
-Track that connect the layout to the controller
-Wire

plus, separate re-railer I think.


Here it is on MTS:

http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Kato-HO-Track-Set-p/kat-3-104.htm


You can add to it/expand it using other track sets from Kato according to the descriptions.


Hope that helps!


Diesel-Electric
 
Using the same distributor's site you can see all the Kato products, including some more complex track designs.

http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/HO-Scale-Kato-Unitrack-s/1966.htm

http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Kato-HO-Track-p/kat-3-0680.htm

KAT-3-0680-2.jpg
 
In N scale, Kato makes not only the track set without the train, but the train set without the track. I bought a setup like that a year or so ago when I was trying to decide which scale to go with. It was very nice to be able to get quality stuff, and yet be able to go home and plug it together and have an instant train set.

We bought a house so now I have room for HO, but I was so impressed with the Kato stuff that I'm using their HO Unitrack.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top