ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
I'm new to model railroading, but I've been dying to ask this question...
I see all these "prototypical" layouts people have that are considered point to point layouts. Sometimes they have massive yards on one end of the mainline. What gets me is it seems there is no way to turn the train engine around....there are no Wye's, turntables, etc. Do people just manually pick up the train and turn the engine around after making their way through each time?
Sorry for the dumb question. I want a prototypical look, but I want continuous operation too. I have a very small space and can't see a way around having loops on both ends of my layout....that's why I'm asking this question lol.
Thanks.
That's a good question there Chad. Running a point to point layout seem to be more for the individual who likes the facet of switching operations. Those layouts don't lend themselves at all to continuous operations. Showing off the layout is kinda difficult because you have to maintian your focus on what you are doing rather than tell the visitor about the layout while trains are running themselves.
I like to do the operations thing, but then I also like to put trains in motion while I'm working on something else and have the occasional break to watch a train go by.
On the old D&J Railroad, there where three continuous loops, each one a scale 2.5 miles long. Enough length to put at least three trains running and passing in front of my repair bench.
Although I am relatively new to the hobby, my impression is that the smaller one's space, the more realistic a point-to-point and/or switching type layout one should consider. It is when one can use something like 35 sq ft and up that a closed loop of some fashion becomes possible if one wants to run larger engines and passenger cars.
I don't see how a person could provide two reversing loops on either end of a point-to-point in a space under about 40 sq ft unless one is willing to dip under 18" radius curves.
One way to provide continuous running in a confined space is to use the folded loop, like what you get when you fold a rubber band to constrict it around something small.
-Crandell
Diesels don't need to be turned around at each end of a layout.
Railroads face engines back to back to avoid turning them around. You operate the front engine to a destination. Then get into the other engine for the trip back. And smaller short lines just operate the engine backwards.
One thing about diesels, they operate the same in reverse. The engine is powering a generator that powers electric motors on each wheel sets. So they operate the same forward and reverse. Most switchers were designed to operate with ease in either direction.
As has been stated, there's no real reason to turn diesels, assuming both ends have the required FRA safety appliances. For steam engines, a wye that's only used to turn the engine doesn't take up much space. Many smaller railroads also used balloon loops, where the curves could be very sharp since only the locomotive used the track. Either of these would work on a small layout instead of a turntable.
Thanks
Thanks for all the great information. A lot of this info is new to me, especially the fact that diesels operate the same forwards and backwards. Thanks agian.
The fact is that steamers operate in both directions equally effectively, although no one would feel good about running a steamer in reverse at "limited" speeds...speeds in excess of 70 mph. Many short lines ran their steamers in reverse because they had no choice. The SP's AC Cab Forwards are really Yellowstone engines running in reverse.
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)