Building the Pinnacle Creek Mining & Timber Co. RR

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.




Here is the latest called, "Main Street." Jim :)

Mainstreet_zpsh77tskfg.jpg
 
Hello
It has taken 11 days on and off to read through this thread. I will say wow Jim fantastic work. I know I am a better model railroader for reading this and for that I thank you. You take wonderful pictures my son's and I have enjoyed them very much. As much as I will be slightly saddened to see the layout go I anxiously await what I will learn from you next one with the use of foam. As a method I have used I know I have some more to learn.


BcRail
 
T.C. Good one. I wonder what it sounds like? Only three strings.

BcRail, Welcome and thanks for the kind comments. Eleven days. Good on ya! Please ask questions and contribute as you see fit. Getting rid of yet another layout is hard. Harder this time as I know I'm getting to a point where layouts this size are simply too much for me. So, the 'last' layout will be smaller, and if I can get foam quite interesting. Foam is really a great way for those living north of the Mason/Dixon Line to consider using. I haven't found it yet around SoCal. I can't afford to drive to Utah, so I may be stuck with building the traditional way. In the end it all looks the same, but building with foam is much easier, if more expensive. Jim:)
 
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgHere are some photos I promised. The Climax is from a n scale NW-2 and the switcher is a GE 44 Ton with a larger cab. The box car is scratch built with Microscale trucks an couplers. These are HOn30. Bill:)
 


T.C. Thanks for the website link. Very interesting.

Bill, I really like your modeling. The Climax is my favorite. Boxcar, wood or plastic? Jim :)
 
It's wood. 3/4 pine cut to 22 ft scale length and beveled on the top. Works real good this way as it keeps everything square. 1/32 scribed siding on the sides an ends. Bolsters from 6x8 scale lumber. Hand rails cut and formed from .020 music wire and fitted individually. Roof is 1/32 basswood. Polly S paint with dry transfer lettering. Not much for a lot of detail, but I would,at least like to install brake wheels. Bill:D
 
Thanks Jim. combination of both. I Used the NW2 body as the base. The boiler and tank are from some plastic tube from my junk box. The remainder is scribed siding and bits of strip wood. The roof is 1/32 basswood. The lights are Cal Scale castings with "jewels" inside and the stack is from a derelict Keystone shay kit that I attempted to power up without success. Hand rails reformed from .020 music wire. Bill:D
 
Spring seems to be finally coming. Here is a remembrance photo for those of you, especially from the North East that may be missing snow. Jim:eek:

Almost%20spring_zpsi6srckv2.jpg
 
Great photo Jim. I'm not from the NE, but I remember what snow looks like. We had quite a bit of snow down here in Okie City. I, for one, do not miss it. Looking forward to spring/summer. I can only hope I can produce photos as good as yours. I can see how taking photos can be a big help as you indicated. I found 1 area in my new layout that need to be redone after i took photos. never noticed it before. Appreciate the tip. Bill;)
 
I am to the north-east from your place, Jim, but I cannot say I miss snow - we just had one last Sunday :) . And of course your photo is magnificent! Igor
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys.

Mike before I tear a layout down I like to take a few snow pictures. Take pictures, that's what I like to do. It is WS Snow shaken on to the layout from the container. I did hairspray the trees and shrubs so the snow would stick better. Reversible? Yes, except for the plant life. No worries, the layout's days are numbered. Jim :eek:
 
Thanks guys.

Mike before I tear a layout down I like to take a few snow pictures. Take pictures, that's what I like to do. It is WS Snow shaken on to the layout from the container. I did hairspray the trees and shrubs so the snow would stick better. Reversible? Yes, except for the plant life. No worries, the layout's days are numbered. Jim :eek:
Did I miss something ? Where is the layout going?
Mike
 


Mike, Like the five previous layouts this layout is destined to end up in the dump. It takes about three weeks for Waste Management to get it off my property. While the layout isn't that large, less than 90 sq. ft., we must remember that I'm not a 'real' train guy, I just like to build and model scenery and take photos. Got a corner in your museum? Jim:o
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top