Building the Pinnacle Creek Mining & Timber Co. RR

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Hydrocal is a gypsum plaster. I also buy it in 100 pound bags. It seem to have a lot finer surface then it dries and is a lot stronger than other types of plaster.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
[FONT=Arial said:
I’ve started a mountain and cast a couple of rock sections with molding plaster (from HD). If I switch to hydrocal, will it take the coloring differently than plaster? .[/FONT]


If you first use a latex paint, say a gray, dark gray, or earth tone paint, that will seal the surface of the hydrocal/plaster surface then it won't make any difference when you come along next and use your rock coloring. But even if you first don't use a paint as a sealer, and just use your burnt sienna, raw umber, maybe some yellow ochre and apply those directly to the rock surface, I don't feel there would be any difference or at least not much to be that noticeable, after all rocks even in the same location have different hues or shadings. - Chris
 
A good topic and I have an additional question, concern. I’ve started a mountain and cast a couple of rock sections with molding plaster (from HD). If I switch to hydrocal, will it take the coloring differently than plaster? After starting I can see I need to locate at least 100 pounds and stay out of HD.

Depending where you live, hydrocal can sometimes be difficult to find. The big box stores don't have a clue from what I've heard. Your best bet is to check with a building supply store. I contacted a number of local suppliers and finally found an old timer who knew what it was. He found his supplier carried it and that it would be easier if I went and got it myself, saving some expensive shipping charges. I had to go to Billings, MT about 150 miles away to find it, which I did while on a trip there for something else. I personally think for model railroading purposes it is probably the best product around. It may take some work locating it, but it will be well worth it.
 


I know it's gettin off the subject a little bit, but came across this video on youtube about waterfall construction using fibres, best waterfall models I've seen. He has a lot of other vids as well.
[YOUTUBE]lSJi5JQy8aw[/YOUTUBE]
 
The fella in the video is really outstanding. His name is Lex Parker and his web site is www.drgwrr.com and is filled with interesting articles, videos, and clinics on various railroad design. He models in On3, in 1937 Colorado. But he does very realistic scenery. Thanks Toot for showing the vid. - Chris
 
Yep! I've subscribed to his youtube a/cc and bookmarked the website. It always surprises when you see a pic of the person that they don't really look the sort to have such an interest and skills somehow, do they.
 
Toot, at first I thought he was from your neck of the woods, but as it turns out he was raised in South Africa and now lives in Canada. I guess it's the English thing. At first he sounded Aussie. None the less, he does do some very nice scenery. Kind of like you and Jim. - Chris
 
I step out for a couple of days and the site looks like it's taken on a life of it's own. NICE! I'm not the provincial type. I don't mind seeing works of others. I'm a teacher, I don't want money, I don't want to make history. If I, or this thread, can help anyone achieve more after they've visited here great! That has always been my goal.

I'm a pretty good studier of the works of others, but Mr. Parker's work has eluded me. I noticed something I've been thinking about concerning the possible next layout. If you click on his Utube link that says, "Waterfalls finished", it's about 2:55 or so, you will notice the front of his fascia at treatment of his layout is similar to mine in that most of the fascia is lowered. He has much more room than me, but I will lower the fascia on the next layout even more than the PMC&T Co. layout.

The reasoning for this type of layout construction is simply you can put more layout in a given space. Your square footage is not bigger, but what you've modeled is. I've actually sat in my chair and studied the PCM&T and thought I should have lowered the fascia more or eliminated (which I may do) the fascia altogether. Jim:)
 
Pg 69 of the Narrow Gauge and Short Line Gazette Nov/Dec 2011 shows the RGS by Kevin Shanahan with no facia board in places because the mountains run all the way to the floor.
 


187, I'm a poor man. I've always envied those that could afford magazines. I will go to my LHS and check out the old magazines in boxes laying on the floor. Maybe this issue is there. Thanks, Jim:)
 
From the number of references in the article I think the scenery was done by someone else as were most of the structures. I'm with you on the money but I was away from the hobby for 25 years and wanted to catch up in a hurry so back issues were useful. I am amazed at the number of suppliers that we have now.
 
Jim, have you noticed you’re getting close to 95,000 views on the thread. So you know what that means. We’re getting close to the super-duper, grand prize, super spectacular 100,000 view “GRAND CONTEST”. Any thought yet on the brain twister you plan this time? - Chris
 
187, I went to the LHS and there the issue was! $1. Okay, the deal with this railroad is that it seems to be built by a team of fellows with Bragdon rock mold system thrown in gratis. Hey, I wish I knew all these folks and they could build me a layout. I would really like the author to say he spent $5000 on Bragdons products and did it all himself.

But, the reason I model is for my own reasons, like sharing information and not for profit. This thread is for the "everyman." This railroad layout in the magazine is basically for advertising purposes and to get a layout made for you I'm guessing. I checked through my Favorites and there is a reference to this layout in the Mar/Apr 2011 NGSL Gazette. Better pictures and information.

As for the rock cliffs all the way to the floor I approve if you have the layout lighted underneath. Visually this is very dramatic, but I don't personally think it is necessary. We must assume the cliffs pull out and give access underneath. It just seems I'm under my layout quite a bit. Also, I think having visitors over would be a pia. Maybe not. It's all good. Wish it was mine.

That said, if I had the money, and not the skills I do have, would I pay tens of thousands of dollars for this layout? Hell yes. In a heartbeat. No questions asked. I don't have the dollars or enough 'pals' to help me so I do it myself in my little space available. I sleep well at night knowing I have no one to thank, or blame, but myself for my work. Works for me!

Lastly about this Rio Grand Southern. My vote is that this is the best example of modeling I've ever seen. It is near perfect. Jim:)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Jim - I can't imagine that you found any copy of the Narrow Gauge & Short Line Gazette for $1 one dollar. Those normally sell for five times that much. Excellent purchase. - Chris
 
Yup, my LHS has boxes of books taking up valuable floor space. I would assume many more treasures are there. In fact I saw 5 or 6 additional copies of the magazine, but I didn't buy 'em. They would/should probably sell all the boxes for $20 just to get them out of the store. Jim:)
 
Hey, about that upcoming contest. This is your thread, and being the benevolent dictator that you are – YOU SET THE RULES. And if you say 125,000 views then 125,000 views it is. End of Discussion. BUT – if you check page 89 post 888, and page 93 post 926. Just saying. None the less, 125,000 is a good number. About that time the layout should be coming down, and then off to new adventures. - Chris
 
Jim & Chris, I recently visited my LHS, and bought the latest issue of Narrow Gauge & Short Line Gazette, paying full price. The shop owner then gave me gratis, last year’s issues, about 6! You don’t get deals like that from the internet shops. Best $6.95 I ever spent.

BYW, a big shout out to Toots, I followed his link to Lex Parkers video clinics and they are amazing! Thanks!
 


Steve, Welcome to the thread.

With nearly 100,000 hits I'm surprised that only a few modelers have taken the effort to post here. That's okay, no requirements. Seems like this thread could be of more value if more folks participated.

Jim:)
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top