ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
And even if one day you do decide to dismantle (perish the thought) you could do a series of "withrawal" shots (for most of us it would be) of the loggers cutting down the last of the trees as they also pulled up the tracks and then the undergrowth reclaiming the track bed.
Jim, builders build, it's that simple. My back is shot and my thumbs are arthritic, my hands look like war torn Europe, but I hope to drop dead while building my own coffin.
MikeR, Video? I'm not a video guy, but I will try and get one done. I guess I have to post on YTube?? Don't know how to do that either. I'm on Photobucket, but I don't really know if they do videos. Probably before Christmas.
Toot, Most of my track is kinda over grown as it is! Funny you should mention overgrown track. I'm currently in the process of 'overgrowing' the track by the camp. It is on a slight slope and I figure if I 'overgrow' it the cars would stay at the end better. Great minds think alike. Jim CM&T
Here's the photo of the 'overgrown' track in the mining camp. There is still room for the miners to get to the two-holer but obviously weeding is not a high priority.
Other than an often overlooked scenic element on our layouts this overgrowth serves a purpose. Somehow while laying this section of track it was slightly inclined. Put a car on the end and it would slide forward two inches. That is now fixed! Cars stay where I want them and they don't derail. Jim
MikeR, Video? I'm not a video guy, but I will try and get one done. I guess I have to post on YTube?? Don't know how to do that either. I'm on Photobucket, but I don't really know if they do videos. Probably before Christmas.
Toot, I wouldn't necessarily take credit for 'overgrown' braking systems. It just seemed to be a good way to stop cars rolling without the old file a gap in the track method. Odd that!
MikeR, No worries. I want to do one. Right now I'm have NCE DCC issues and my stuff if being mailed today back to NCE Warranty Dept. Bummer. Don't know how long I will be out of commission. Jim
Well this isn't quite afternoon but see what you think.
First is one of my favorite photos I've ever taken. It shows some backwoods tracks. A going to seed main on the left and siding on your right. You may remember this one.
Now here's some proof to the old adage a layout is never finisihed.
I like the modeling in this second one myself. Overgrown? Yes! And, no derailing. Jim
Thanks fellows. RR, yes, the track siding had to be shortened about 2-3 inches for the geometry to the ore tipple to work. I had to add back to back #4 turnouts succeed in the plan. Lucky me it works! Jim
Joe, I think you will find the Caspia tree making link on Page 5. Look for post #50. There is a link to the recipe over on Trainboard. These Caspia trees are best made for HO or larger scales. They are fairly inexpensive when compared to store bought. Jim
Thanksgiving means more to Canadians and Americans than to other countries, but that is not important. Here a Thanksgiving picture from the PCM&T just for the fun of it. I call it Work Train. This pictures modeling before arthritis and other aliments got to me. Enjoy. Jim