Building My First Layout

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.




I finally unboxed the last 3 engines from my dad's collection. The first one was the Bachmann A.T. & S.F. 2-8-0 Consolidation. Much to my surprise, and very happy to report, it ran great.

PXL_20240413_163059683.jpg



The next one was the very nicely detailed Bachmann Great Northern 2-8-0 Consolidation. It only made 1 or 2 laps before it stopped running. I haven't tried to diagnose or fix the issue yet. The engine sounds like it is getting plenty of power, but the wheels and motor don't turn. There was no sound of anything breaking when it stopped running, so not sure what it could be. I hope I can get it running.

PXL_20240413_162934640.jpg


The last one was the Bachmann John Bull 2-4-0 that came with the tender and 3 coaches. It also ran great.

PXL_20240413_163241021.jpg


PXL_20240413_163230495.jpg



I've started planning where to put my non-working engines on display on my layout as sort of stand alone railroad museum pieces. My dad bought the 2 engines that were at the Golden Spike ceremony, and they don't run very well at all, so they will be on display as a "Golden Spike Monument".

PXL_20240413_162829193.jpg


Obviously I haven't started working on landscaping and ballast. I'm still trying to finalize where everything will be placed on the layout.

I also have a PRR GG1 that doesn't run, so it will be on display next to the fire station, unless I find a better spot for it...

PXL_20240413_164438462.jpg


PXL_20240413_164352117.jpg


More of the non-working steam engines might end up as individual museum display pieces too.

That's about all for now.
 
I got rid of one of the Tyco working stations that didn't work. It was the culvert pipe unloader.That gave me the ability to extend those 3 industrial spurs with more track. That opened up parking for about 9 more railcars there.

PXL_20240421_174212797.jpg


PXL_20240423_230832811.jpg


I also moved the row of downtown buildings closer to the far side row of buildings. It narrowed the street by almost 2", and it allowed me to extend the "piggy back" spur up behind those buildings, almost all the way to the turntable. Now that spur holds 10 railcars plus an engine. It only held 4 railcars before the extension.

PXL_20240421_192551996.jpg


And no, the lighthouse isn't staying here🙂
PXL_20240423_230931883.jpg


PXL_20240423_230956247.jpg


I like the idea of having long trains staged on the spurs, and then taking random engines from the turntable to hook up to those trains and running some laps around the 2 mainlines.
 
Last edited:
I built a wooden trestle from an old Campbell kit. I had to use some extra 1/8" square sticks to build the bents, and some 1/8" wide wooden stir sticks to build the "X" braces.

PXL_20240501_001844865.jpg


The kit says it has enough parts in it to build any of these trestles, except the one in the lower right. I built a version of the lower left bridge. I have some extra parts left over, but it wasn't enough to build my bridge without buying extra wood. I stained the wood Kona color.

PXL_20240501_001903914.jpg


PXL_20240501_002013586.jpg


PXL_20240501_002150183.jpg


This is where the bridge is going. But I have to remove some benchwork and make a valley out of several layers of 2" pink foam board.
PXL_20240501_002600605.jpg


Here is a size comparison with a PA1. The bridge is about 10" tall and the deck is about 12" long.
PXL_20240501_004023452.jpg


Onward and upward. Or downward...
 
Last edited:


This is a work in progress, so please be patient.

I'll start with a little backstory... My dad died in 2002. I inherited roughly half of my dad's model railroad stuff, to include track, locomotives from many different eras, rolling stock and landscaping supplies. I believe he bought this stuff in the 1990's, but I had no idea he was buying all this stuff. I was in the Army at the time of his untimely death (I served 20 years). I've had 12 cardboard boxes of his model railroad stuff for about 20 years, and I finally opened those boxes back in September. My last layout was a simple HO oval in 1977, I was 10 years old.

My biggest dilemma was where to build a layout that would allow me to use all the stuff in these boxes, which included more than 100 straight track and more than 100 curved tracks (all 18" radius), plus 13 turnouts, more than 60 plastic buildings and nearly 100 railcars, and 4 complete passenger trains (2 are Santa Fe and 2 are Amtrak). I have roughly 22 locomotives ranging from the 1800's steamers to modern diesels. This is in HO scale.

I settled on a layout that is 14ft long, 8ft x 6ft on one end and 4ft x 6ft on the other end. I built the benchwork with 2 and 1/4 sheets of plywood, 1x4" boards, 1x2" boards and 2x4" boards (for the legs). I bought 13 more turnouts, to give me a total of 26. I used the Atlas track planning software. This is in my semi-finished attic.

I'm putting the track on cork roadbed. I ran a a train around the two mainlines last night. I'll finish laying the track tomorrow after I add the last 3 turnouts.

View attachment 176730

View attachment 176735

View attachment 176736

View attachment 176731

View attachment 176732

View attachment 176733

View attachment 176734

What is the easiest or best way to pull the track up to put the cork roadbed down? I'm open to any and all suggestions. This is all DC stuff, and I believe all of the locomotives and rolling stock are new and unused.

None of the turnouts are wired yet, but they are all Atlas #4 remote snap switches.

Thanks, and stay tuned...
Model railroading beginner here, what software did you use to make the track plan?

Many thanks..
 
Model railroading beginner here, what software did you use to make the track plan?

Many thanks..

I inherited mostly Atlas track and turnouts, so I bought the Atlas track planning software. I tried a different free program, but I couldn't figure it out. I found the Atlas software easy to use, and I'm not exactly computer literate.

I created my track plan based on my available space, and with the goal of having enough track to display all of my engines and rolling stock.
 
I've managed to fit 106 freight cars on my layout. I have room for a few more cars. That number doesn't include all the engines and passenger cars that are also on the layout. I have one more single dome tanker on order.

Here's a video that shows the trains that I have on my layout. The engines that aren't on the tracks will be displayed as "museum" trains, because they either run very poorly, or they don't run at all.

 
Last edited:
Just a small update here...

My dad bought and assembled a fire station, but I had no firetruck to go with it. So I bought a firetruck and ambulance to be displayed in front of the fire station. I still have to find a permanent location for the fire station.
PXL_20240711_113043831.jpg


I also wanted to add a grain truck to be parked at the grain elevator. I bought a pre-assembled Kenworth T600 (I had to attach the mirrors), and a Wilson trailer kit.

I didn't know how small some of these parts were going to be, and how difficult it would be to not only assemble them without breaking them, but many of the grab handles broke when I was very gently trying to cut them off the sprue. What a mess! It proves that I'm not cut out for these "micro-sized" models kits.

Here's the stock photo of what the trailer should look like
lsm6022__05980.jpg

Here are the tiny grab handles that I decided to not add to the trailer because too many broke in half
PXL_20240710_234108962.jpg


Here are the tiny tail lights that were supposed to be glued on the back of the trailer. They might be .5mm in diameter, or less...
PXL_20240711_002648547.jpg


Here are the small parts that came in the kit
PXL_20240710_193626744.jpg


Many of the decals are very tiny as well
PXL_20240710_193531835.jpg


Needless to say, the tail lights got tossed in the trash. My wife painted the tail lights on the trailer after we both failed to handle them without losing them. The upper 4 holes are for two grab handles that I broke prior to putting them in place. These are the painted tail lights
PXL_20240711_005353897.jpg


The back of the trailer won't be visible on the layout. This trailer took 5 hours to assemble, and that was with my wife adding decals while I was removing parts from the sprues and prepping them for assembly. Here is my finished trailer
PXL_20240711_005546387.jpg


This is the truck and trailer parked at the grain elevator
PXL_20240711_012035721.jpg


PXL_20240711_012044199.jpg


My next little project is to add some track for a passenger train siding, and make a minor change to my center railyard.
 
Last edited:
Just a small update here...

My dad bought and assembled a fire station, but I had no firetruck to go with it. So I bought a firetruck and ambulance to be displayed in front of the fire station. I still have to find a permanent location for the fire station.
View attachment 194004

I also wanted to add a grain truck to be parked at the grain elevator. I bought a pre-assembled Kenworth T600 (I had to attach the mirrors), and a Wilson trailer kit.

I didn't know how small some of these parts were going to be, and how difficult it would be to not only assemble them without breaking them, but many of the grab handles broke when I was very gently trying to cut them off the sprue. What a mess! It proves that I'm not cut out for these "micro-sized" models kits.

Here's the stock photo of what the trailer should look like
View attachment 194005
Here are the tiny grab handles that I decided to not add to the trailer because too many broke in half
View attachment 194006

Here are the tiny tail lights that were supposed to be glued on the back of the trailer. They might be .5mm in diameter, or less...
View attachment 194007

Here are the small parts that come in the kit
View attachment 194011

Many of the decals are very tiny as well
View attachment 194012

Needless to say, the tail lights got tossed in the trash. My wife painted the tail lights on the trailer after we both failed to handle them without losing them. The upper 4 holes are for two grab handles that I broke prior to putting them in place. These are the painted tail lights instead...
View attachment 194009

The back of the trailer won't be visible on the layout. This trailer took 5 hours to assemble, and that was with my wife adding decals while I was removing parts from the sprues and prepping them for assembly. Here is my finished trailer
View attachment 194010

This is the truck and trailer parked at the grain elevator
View attachment 194013

View attachment 194014

My next little project is to add some track for a passenger train siding, and make a minor change to my center railyard.
Adding the small parts takes patience, keen eyesight and steady hands, none of which I have either. :D
 
Just a small update here...

My dad bought and assembled a fire station, but I had no firetruck to go with it. So I bought a firetruck and ambulance to be displayed in front of the fire station. I still have to find a permanent location for the fire station.
View attachment 194004

I also wanted to add a grain truck to be parked at the grain elevator. I bought a pre-assembled Kenworth T600 (I had to attach the mirrors), and a Wilson trailer kit.

I didn't know how small some of these parts were going to be, and how difficult it would be to not only assemble them without breaking them, but many of the grab handles broke when I was very gently trying to cut them off the sprue. What a mess! It proves that I'm not cut out for these "micro-sized" models kits.

Here's the stock photo of what the trailer should look like
View attachment 194005
Here are the tiny grab handles that I decided to not add to the trailer because too many broke in half
View attachment 194006

Here are the tiny tail lights that were supposed to be glued on the back of the trailer. They might be .5mm in diameter, or less...
View attachment 194007

Here are the small parts that come in the kit
View attachment 194011

Many of the decals are very tiny as well
View attachment 194012

Needless to say, the tail lights got tossed in the trash. My wife painted the tail lights on the trailer after we both failed to handle them without losing them. The upper 4 holes are for two grab handles that I broke prior to putting them in place. These are the painted tail lights instead...
View attachment 194009

The back of the trailer won't be visible on the layout. This trailer took 5 hours to assemble, and that was with my wife adding decals while I was removing parts from the sprues and prepping them for assembly. Here is my finished trailer
View attachment 194010

This is the truck and trailer parked at the grain elevator
View attachment 194013

View attachment 194014

My next little project is to add some track for a passenger train siding, and make a minor change to my center railyard.

I'm not surprised to hear about the difficulties assembling. I plan on buying vehicles which are ready right out of the package when the time comes :). I think the truck came out great. The painted tail lights look great to me :D
 
I'm not surprised to hear about the difficulties assembling. I plan on buying vehicles which are ready right out of the package when the time comes :). I think the truck came out great. The painted tail lights look great to me :D

Thank you! My wife is an artist, although not very actively painting anymore. But her hands are far more steady than mine. That's why I let her apply the decals and paint the tail lights. I also prefer to buy pre-assembled vehicles, but I couldn't find any assembled grain trailers. I'm happy with how the trailer turned out, but handling those tiny parts is way above my skill level. The instructions were very good, and recommended for ages 14 & up. I guess I need to buy models that are for ages 7 & up, Lol.
 
The truck turned out great!

I didn't build the truck loading building on my grain elevator, but after seeing yours with a truck parked there, Im re-thinking that idea!

Thank you!

I decided to keep the truck loading building early in my layout design because the space between my elevator and the tracks was too small for any other building or feature. Now I'm glad I kept it.
 






Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top