Building from scratch

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


flaja

New Member
I have several sliding closet doors that are made from very thin plywood. I plan to replace the doors and would like to use the plywood to build structures for a model train layout. I know that you can buy generic windows and “siding” material, but I don’t know the first thing about designing buildings that would look realistic. Does anyone know of any books or magazine articles that would give me how-to plans? I have a facsimile reprint of a Victorian era architectural pattern book that was used 100+ years ago, but it doesn’t have any plans for constructing the facades and the black and white prints give me no concept of the colors involved. The book is also mostly houses and cottages and I would like to build some commercial and industrial structures. Anyone have any ideas?
 
1.Use 'conventional' materials, IE., available scribed siding in wood, styrene strip wood, heavy card etc..
2.Get a model scale steel rule
3.Buy a basic plastic structure kit
4.Buy a basic laser kit
5 Assemble each using instructions, and keep instructions for future reference.
6 Look at lots of available built ups and kits noting colours and shapes.
7 Use your scale rule to measure your built ups dimensions: doors, wall sections, heights, widths thicknesses.
8 Try to replicate a section of one of the built ups in a medium that's easy for you to work with.
9 Post photos for comments.
 


1.Use 'conventional' materials, IE., available scribed siding in wood, styrene strip wood, heavy card etc..
2.Get a model scale steel rule
3.Buy a basic plastic structure kit
4.Buy a basic laser kit
5 Assemble each using instructions, and keep instructions for future reference.
6 Look at lots of available built ups and kits noting colours and shapes.
7 Use your scale rule to measure your built ups dimensions: doors, wall sections, heights, widths thicknesses.
8 Try to replicate a section of one of the built ups in a medium that's easy for you to work with.
9 Post photos for comments.

I’ve never had space before for a model layout but I am hoping to move in the near future so maybe I will have enough space to do something. So I am now returning to my interest in model trains after some time. Can you tell me what a laser kit is?

Also, has anyone ever used material like joint compound for drywall/sheetrock to simulate masonry on a model? I don’t think you could do a brick pattern very well if you use a small scale, but what about using it to make something look like stucco?
 
Something like joint compound could be used to simulate rough stucco but trying to make a brick wall from joint compound takes considerable skill. If I was new at this, I would buy thin styrene sheets with the correct brick pattern and glue those on to the wood. It will look much better and save you a lot of grief.
 
I have used Krylon rattle can textured paint from Home Depot to get a stucco look alternative. I normally purchase a white textured paint and apply it. After it dries airbrush what ever flat color you want to use.

Another way of simulating broken stucco that has been applied over brick is to place an HO scale brick sheet on a section of wall. Paint the sheet what ever color you desire. Let it dry and place a thin even coat of dry wall mud over the brick covering the brick entirely. Paint the wall with textured paint. After drying, use a tooth brush moistened with water and go down through the thin coat of drywall mud until you reach the colored brick sheet. Be careful not to remove all the mud and leave the brick mortor joints hazy. This should be done is various areas to show where the stucco has broken off exposing brick. Try a practice sheet before doing it on a structure.
 
I’ve never had space before for a model layout but I am hoping to move in the near future so maybe I will have enough space to do something. So I am now returning to my interest in model trains after some time. Can you tell me what a laser kit is?

Also, has anyone ever used material like joint compound for drywall/sheetrock to simulate masonry on a model? I don’t think you could do a brick pattern very well if you use a small scale, but what about using it to make something look like stucco?

A laser kit is a kit that uses plastic parts that are cut using lasers. At least, that's what I think it is.
 
A laser kit is a kit that uses plastic parts that are cut using lasers. At least, that's what I think it is.

A laser kit is a wood kit that has its parts cut with the lasers. It makes for cleaner edges than you can get from a saw, as well as a more efficent use of the material.
 






Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top