ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
Hi guys, I'm new to this forum. I am going to start building my 3rd layout next month or next year. I've have two 4x8 HO layouts in the pass. My new build will be a HO two track system going through my entire house around the ceiling and will land on my stationary layout. I don't know if going to build a regular 4x8 or a dual connected 4x8 layout. I have an entire room to play with. Do you guys know of any known techniques for building ceiling layouts. I really like the way they build railroads here (
www.freedomtrainshelving.com ). I want my frame mount flush to the wall like that.
I'd have to see at least a sketch of what the room looks like and where you are proposing to build the layouts. There is an ongoing thread on 4x8 layouts vs. other types that you should probably read and think about.
As far as the around the ceiling concept, this doesn't work very well in HO. In G or O scale, the trains are large enough to see from the floor. HO is much too small to be seen in any detail. It's not hard to construct a shelf around a ceiling but I'm not sure it would give you what you think you'll get.
Around the hi-wall or ceiling layouts are tricky, and become somewhat gimmicky after a while. They don't seem to fit well with the rest of the visible layout. Maintenance can be a bear, and anything that can prevent an expensive locomotive from tumbling to the floor will also offer a barrier to easy viewing...to my way of thinking. Also, it will take many linear feet of grade, even at 4%, to get from a chest-height layout surface and around a room on a rising shelf to get up to 6-8' in height.
Far better, if you are interested in my opinion, to concentrate on doing a top-notch job on what is easily dealt with, and that would be the 4X8, if that is how it truly must be configured.
I had a very simple LGB setup at my office similar to what you posted. It was nice, but its difficult to do any detailed work that high up. I basically just ran a train on the track. Nothing special. People sure like to stop in an see it run.
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)