Building a Module; CAT Equipment Rental Building

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Awesome little Construction Zone you have going on. I like it.

Do you work construction? I bet you do! I am in the Concrete Industry and your Bridge widening project is very Prototypical. Nice job.

I noticed a Concrete Boom Pump in the background in a few pics. Any info on where I can get one? Man you really need to use the Pump when your pour those walls! Do you have any mixers?

I recently scratch built a Ready Mix Batch plant. I like your style of building! :cool:
 
Glad to hear you are getting the modeling bug back Josh. Any chance on seeing some progress on the La Mirada, CA Industrial Switching Layout module:D

Thanks Stephen! And no, no more updates on the La Mirada modules yet. I havnt made it that far back into things yet lol


Awesome little Construction Zone you have going on. I like it.

Do you work construction? I bet you do! I am in the Concrete Industry and your Bridge widening project is very Prototypical. Nice job.

I noticed a Concrete Boom Pump in the background in a few pics. Any info on where I can get one? Man you really need to use the Pump when your pour those walls! Do you have any mixers?

I recently scratch built a Ready Mix Batch plant. I like your style of building! :cool:

Thanks! And to answer your question, no I am not in the construction industry, yet that is lol. My plans are to go to school to be a heavy equipment operator, hopefully that will happen sometime in the near future.

That concrete pump is a Kibri kit, they are all out of production and sold out everywhere I have seen. I myself am looking for 3 more. 2 of them will be kitbashed together to make one of those HUGE boom trucks. I have seen one around here a few times, it is a trailer boom pump and its pulled by a Mack CH cab. Its so awesome that I am going to make one similar with these kibri kits. Plus i will need it to reach the top of my high rise construction site. The other will be built stock and like the other one I have will be kitbashed with a Mack cab instead of the European cab.

Do I have mixers? Man I have tons of them lol. I have plans to make a fleet of them for my Blue Star Ready Mix Concrete Plant. I want to make at least 15 of them plus a couple of the large trailer mixers too. All with Mack CH cabs and painted and decaled for Blue Star Ready Mix.

Got any pictures of the concrete plant you built? I'd be interested in seeing them!


Josh, are those concrete barriers the BLMA ones?

Chris, you nailed it, they are the BLMA ones :D
 


Sorta changed the plans for this module, and they are kinda a BIG change so I figured I would update with the new plans lol. I have a couple questions for anyone who knows where i can find these things. So any help would be appreciated if you have some answers :D

On the right side of the module is a Caterpillar Rental Yard with a large Concrete Repair Structure. The yard is fairly small, but will have the basic construction equipment. Its somewhat based on the one near my house that I drive by every day. It will have Front End Loaders, Graders, Scrapers, Bulldozers, Excavators, Drum Compactors, Sheeps Foot Dozers, Backhoes, Off Road Dump Trucks and a Off Road Water Tank Truck, as well as 3-4 Lowboys. This is where my first question is...

I know Norscot makes those Lowboys, and I will have a couple of them in the yard. And I know GHQ Makes those 50-Ton Lowboys kits as well as Herpa & Promotex make some others. But I dont really like the Herpa/Promotex ones (they look too toyish to me, but may be able to be improved with some detailing) and the GHQ ones look a little too out of date to me for my modern era modeling. The Norscot ones also look a little toyish, but to me they look better then the Herpa/Promotex ones. I think its the "Wood" paint on the decks that throws me off, but with some weathering it should make them look better.
I am really looking for a heavy duty lowboy however. Does anyone make one? I want one with a jeep dolly in front and in the rear. Ive seen some pretty awesome model ones before, but they have all been scratch built as far as I know. Something like this is really what im looking for:
http://www.1-87vehicles.org/photo302/pete_379_eex.php
http://www.1-87vehicles.org/photo33/kw_t600_lowboy.php
http://www.1-87vehicles.org/photo129/kw_t600_heavyhaul.php
http://www.1-87vehicles.org/photo181/pete_379_murray_lowboy.php
Im also looking for a small lowboy like this one with 16 tires in the rear. I dont know why but I always see these and I want a model of one too:
http://www.1-87vehicles.org/photo61/cozad_lowboy_cat_dozer.php
While searching the Walthers site, i found a nice looking Lowboy Trailer that i would also like to get, but they are sold out and it seems the manufacture, Resin Unlimited, is no longer in business. Does anyone know where I could pick one or possibly even 2 of these things up?
http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/627-303
Also, Does anyone have any pictures of the Alloy Forms 45' Lowboy Trailer? I just read that it has 16 tires on the rear of the trailer, which would be one of those trailers that I am looking for. If anyone has any pictures of this model, please post them ;D
http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/119-3017


Directly to the left of the CAT Rental Yard will be a Highrise Construction Site with 2 High Rise Buildings under construction. One Tower will be 11 Stories high with the top floor being poured and the Elevator Shaft being hoisted into position by a massive LTM 1400 Mobile Crane with its Jib Extension attached. It is truly a beast standing 31" tall and this is only with minimal jib extension installed, there are still 3 more lengths of jib super structure that could be added in. The other high rise will be somewhere around 8 stories with the top floor being poured. Its my idea to make them both look as if they will be much taller then they are now, so the site will be packed with steel and other materials. In between the 2 high rise towers will be a Tower Crane. This is where my second & third questions are...

I know Kibri makes Tower Cranes, but I would prefer not to use them because they ate plastic and very fragile much like my mobile crane. I've also seen a Conrad Tower Crane that I believe is Diecast Metal. But my problem is, I dont know how tall it is... They make Tower Extensions for the crane, but I dont know how tall they are either and I dont know how many I would need to buy if any to make sure that my Tower Crane is tall enough to tower over the tallest high rise structure to be realistic. The 11 story high rise is 14" tall, and I want the Tower Crane to be at least 4-5" taller then that. I know these things also are built taller as they are needed and grow with the structures they build, so a few Tower Extensions will be placed somewhere in the yard to show that these High Rises will be much taller then they are currently. Any info on this Conrad Tower Crane would be much appreciated, or if you guys know any other nice looking Diecast Tower Cranes, please share with me...
Here is the link to the Tower Crane on DHS's Website:
http://www.dhsdiecast.com/shop/product_detail.cfm?product_id=4045
And the link to the Tower Extentions:
http://www.dhsdiecast.com/shop/product_detail.cfm?product_id=4456

I also need a concrete pumper. I know Kibri made these things, but I cannot seem to find them anymore. I had kitbashed one a few years ago with a Mack CH Daycab from Promotex (i dont like the looks of the European stuff) but it has gotten thrashed over the years and its time to make a new one. I would like to be able to purchase 3 of these Kibri Concrete Pump Kits. 2 of them to kitbash into one BIG pump trailer to be pulled by a Heavy Duty Mack and another to build stock and modify with a Mack CH Cab again. Ive seen both of these around here where I live with Mack cabs and I absolutely love them! I am a MACK guy, but also like Peterbilt and Freightliner, and a little bit of Kenworths stuff too.


To the left of the High Rise Construction Site is a small winding creek/river that starts on the far back left corner and snakes to the front about 21" into the module. This opens a chance for a bridge construction scene. I will be using BLMA's single track bridges to create a nice looking concrete construction scene. Im planning on having 2 lanes of traffic open (one in each direction) and the rest of the bridge will be under construction as if they are expanding the bridge to make it more suitable for the area around it that is quickly developing. It would be wide enough for 4 lanes when complete with a sidewalk on each side. The expansion of the bridge will be in the beginning stages, with both abutments being poured. One of the abutments will be in the near completion stage, the other side being just stared with a Pile Driver on site. Wood Forms for the concrete pour, plenty of re-bar and steel will be in place. On the far left front corner is a spot for the very small construction yard where materials and equipment will be staged. Now this is where my fourth question comes in...

Im wanting to also model a sewer line hole where they are replacing the pipes just to the left of the bridge. I need some Trench Boxes, does anyone make these in HO Scale?

Finally directly to the left of the High Rise Site and just behind the winding river/creek is a small open space that I did not know what to do with. So I had a small pink 2-story house with a small pink garage and a few trees I had used for my ex-girlfriends diorama that I made her. I figured it would be nice to re-use them and bring back some memories, so these will be used in this space. It makes a nice little scene within a scene. The original house had a "birthday party" theme in the front yard, so ill carry it over onto this module, complete with the men of the family playing a little b-ball in front of the garage.
 
Here are some pictures to show you guys what I am describing...

SL370441.jpg


SL370442.jpg


SL370443.jpg


SL370444.jpg


SL370445.jpg
 
Josh,
I know what you are talking about the lowboys not really good. I took a Norscot trailer and cut off the fake wood and replaced it with strip wood. Looks much better but I didn't glue it all together yet. I'm also working on a scratch built trailer I'm building that's not to bad. Gotta run now so I'll try to update more later.

BTW: I like what you have going on here.

Dave
 
I like your billboard. :D

One thing to consider (as if you didn't have enough :)), construction projects usually need all kinds of permits and stuff to get in a river. They might have some of that orange webbing going on to keep stuff separate. If there's a concern about the fish (salmon), you might even have an inflatable dam diverting water around the backhoe. It's a hassle for the 1:1 construction workers, but it might make for an interesting model.

You've got a fun concept, can't wait to see it all come together. :)
 
Josh,
This is looking good but I wnated to know will this be connected to the Ford module you were building before? Have you thought of building your modules to the Route 87 module standards http://www.1-87vehicles.org/articles/route87_build_module1.php

I've been thinking of building modules for these standards to see if I could get a group interested in building modules for shows here on th east coast. Would be cool seeing a whole bunch of these at train shows or such.

Dave
 


I like your billboard. :D

One thing to consider (as if you didn't have enough :)), construction projects usually need all kinds of permits and stuff to get in a river. They might have some of that orange webbing going on to keep stuff separate. If there's a concern about the fish (salmon), you might even have an inflatable dam diverting water around the backhoe. It's a hassle for the 1:1 construction workers, but it might make for an interesting model.

You've got a fun concept, can't wait to see it all come together. :)

Thats a neat idea! I like it, but what to use to make something look convincing to suggest the idea?
 
Josh,
This is looking good but I wnated to know will this be connected to the Ford module you were building before? Have you thought of building your modules to the Route 87 module standards http://www.1-87vehicles.org/articles/route87_build_module1.php

I've been thinking of building modules for these standards to see if I could get a group interested in building modules for shows here on th east coast. Would be cool seeing a whole bunch of these at train shows or such.

Dave

Dave,

Ive thought about building the modules to standards before, but never got too far into it, mostly because I didnt have a way to transport them around in the first place. But not that I have a truck with a big bed, I could move them around more easily, so it might be something to look at again and consider and think about some more. Thanks for the suggestion.
 
Wow. All those construction vehicles arent cheap considering. You have quite an investment there. Especially the red crane. Nice.

lol thanks Chris, Yes i do have quite a few of them, and that isnt even all of them. I have more of them not on the module, in other scenes on other modules and some still in their boxes too :D
 
Thats amazing!..I could look at that section for hours. Crane is awesome!

Thanks Bob, im glad you have enjoyed it so far, but this is only the begining. I laid in bed the other night and went crazy with ideas, wrote them down and im going to take this module to the next step. Have the same theme, but take the equipment yard off the module and center it around the High Rise Construction site. Taking the Equipment Dealer off will give me more room for construction site space. Im also going to build a new module, one that is light-weight with folding self leveling legs. Im going to start a new thread for this since it wont have the original building anymore, which was the CAT Equipment Rental Yard. Coming soon!

BTW, I finished building a load for the massive crane, 2 stories worth of Elevator shaft and stairwells which will be hoisted in place and suspended from the crane to top the scene off :D
 
Sorta changed the plans for this module, and they are kinda a BIG change so I figured I would update with the new plans lol. I have a couple questions for anyone who knows where i can find these things. So any help would be appreciated if you have some answers :D

On the right side of the module is a Caterpillar Rental Yard with a large Concrete Repair Structure. The yard is fairly small, but will have the basic construction equipment. Its somewhat based on the one near my house that I drive by every day. It will have Front End Loaders, Graders, Scrapers, Bulldozers, Excavators, Drum Compactors, Sheeps Foot Dozers, Backhoes, Off Road Dump Trucks and a Off Road Water Tank Truck, as well as 3-4 Lowboys. This is where my first question is...

I know Norscot makes those Lowboys, and I will have a couple of them in the yard. And I know GHQ Makes those 50-Ton Lowboys kits as well as Herpa & Promotex make some others. But I dont really like the Herpa/Promotex ones (they look too toyish to me, but may be able to be improved with some detailing) and the GHQ ones look a little too out of date to me for my modern era modeling. The Norscot ones also look a little toyish, but to me they look better then the Herpa/Promotex ones. I think its the "Wood" paint on the decks that throws me off, but with some weathering it should make them look better.
I am really looking for a heavy duty lowboy however. Does anyone make one? I want one with a jeep dolly in front and in the rear. Ive seen some pretty awesome model ones before, but they have all been scratch built as far as I know. Something like this is really what im looking for:
http://www.1-87vehicles.org/photo302/pete_379_eex.php
http://www.1-87vehicles.org/photo33/kw_t600_lowboy.php
http://www.1-87vehicles.org/photo129/kw_t600_heavyhaul.php
http://www.1-87vehicles.org/photo181/pete_379_murray_lowboy.php
Im also looking for a small lowboy like this one with 16 tires in the rear. I dont know why but I always see these and I want a model of one too:
http://www.1-87vehicles.org/photo61/cozad_lowboy_cat_dozer.php
While searching the Walthers site, i found a nice looking Lowboy Trailer that i would also like to get, but they are sold out and it seems the manufacture, Resin Unlimited, is no longer in business. Does anyone know where I could pick one or possibly even 2 of these things up?
http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/627-303
Also, Does anyone have any pictures of the Alloy Forms 45' Lowboy Trailer? I just read that it has 16 tires on the rear of the trailer, which would be one of those trailers that I am looking for. If anyone has any pictures of this model, please post them ;D
http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/119-3017


Directly to the left of the CAT Rental Yard will be a Highrise Construction Site with 2 High Rise Buildings under construction. One Tower will be 11 Stories high with the top floor being poured and the Elevator Shaft being hoisted into position by a massive LTM 1400 Mobile Crane with its Jib Extension attached. It is truly a beast standing 31" tall and this is only with minimal jib extension installed, there are still 3 more lengths of jib super structure that could be added in. The other high rise will be somewhere around 8 stories with the top floor being poured. Its my idea to make them both look as if they will be much taller then they are now, so the site will be packed with steel and other materials. In between the 2 high rise towers will be a Tower Crane. This is where my second & third questions are...

I know Kibri makes Tower Cranes, but I would prefer not to use them because they ate plastic and very fragile much like my mobile crane. I've also seen a Conrad Tower Crane that I believe is Diecast Metal. But my problem is, I dont know how tall it is... They make Tower Extensions for the crane, but I dont know how tall they are either and I dont know how many I would need to buy if any to make sure that my Tower Crane is tall enough to tower over the tallest high rise structure to be realistic. The 11 story high rise is 14" tall, and I want the Tower Crane to be at least 4-5" taller then that. I know these things also are built taller as they are needed and grow with the structures they build, so a few Tower Extensions will be placed somewhere in the yard to show that these High Rises will be much taller then they are currently. Any info on this Conrad Tower Crane would be much appreciated, or if you guys know any other nice looking Diecast Tower Cranes, please share with me...
Here is the link to the Tower Crane on DHS's Website:
http://www.dhsdiecast.com/shop/product_detail.cfm?product_id=4045
And the link to the Tower Extentions:
http://www.dhsdiecast.com/shop/product_detail.cfm?product_id=4456

I also need a concrete pumper. I know Kibri made these things, but I cannot seem to find them anymore. I had kitbashed one a few years ago with a Mack CH Daycab from Promotex (i dont like the looks of the European stuff) but it has gotten thrashed over the years and its time to make a new one. I would like to be able to purchase 3 of these Kibri Concrete Pump Kits. 2 of them to kitbash into one BIG pump trailer to be pulled by a Heavy Duty Mack and another to build stock and modify with a Mack CH Cab again. Ive seen both of these around here where I live with Mack cabs and I absolutely love them! I am a MACK guy, but also like Peterbilt and Freightliner, and a little bit of Kenworths stuff too.


To the left of the High Rise Construction Site is a small winding creek/river that starts on the far back left corner and snakes to the front about 21" into the module. This opens a chance for a bridge construction scene. I will be using BLMA's single track bridges to create a nice looking concrete construction scene. Im planning on having 2 lanes of traffic open (one in each direction) and the rest of the bridge will be under construction as if they are expanding the bridge to make it more suitable for the area around it that is quickly developing. It would be wide enough for 4 lanes when complete with a sidewalk on each side. The expansion of the bridge will be in the beginning stages, with both abutments being poured. One of the abutments will be in the near completion stage, the other side being just stared with a Pile Driver on site. Wood Forms for the concrete pour, plenty of re-bar and steel will be in place. On the far left front corner is a spot for the very small construction yard where materials and equipment will be staged. Now this is where my fourth question comes in...

Im wanting to also model a sewer line hole where they are replacing the pipes just to the left of the bridge. I need some Trench Boxes, does anyone make these in HO Scale?

Finally directly to the left of the High Rise Site and just behind the winding river/creek is a small open space that I did not know what to do with. So I had a small pink 2-story house with a small pink garage and a few trees I had used for my ex-girlfriends diorama that I made her. I figured it would be nice to re-use them and bring back some memories, so these will be used in this space. It makes a nice little scene within a scene. The original house had a "birthday party" theme in the front yard, so ill carry it over onto this module, complete with the men of the family playing a little b-ball in front of the garage.

As for tower cranes, I bought a nice metal one that Conrad makes online for $70. It's heavy as hell, strong, and nicely detailed too. I know there are a few companies that make metal ones. Just have to take the extra time to look. As for the lowboy trailer's, there are a couple of sites where they make custom heavy haul trailer's (pretty nice looking too). Or you could try kitbashing the Promotex, Custom Finishing(Finishes) and/or GHQ ones. Unfortunately, all the nice ones are either scratchbuilt or kitbashed.
 
Hey! How 'bout so updates!? With lots more pictures!!!
How do you expect us to copy what you are doing if you aren't updating us!
:D:D:D:D
Honestly though, have you had a chance to do any new work?
Looks awesome!
 
For the lowboy trailer I was scratch building one myself and for the Norscot trailer I cut out hte wood area and will replace it with scale lumber to get it looking more realistic.

Dave
 






Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top