Building a Module; CAT Equipment Rental Building

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Got all the wall panels done. And i was able to fit them all in the yard too lol

Here are some pics of the yard with the pre-cast segments in place

SL372340.jpg


SL372341.jpg


SL372343.jpg


SL372344.jpg


SL372345.jpg


SL372346.jpg


SL372347.jpg


SL372348.jpg


SL372350.jpg



Now the only think left to do is get scale 6x6"x8' pieces of lumber to put in between each pre-cast slab lol
 
Last edited by a moderator:
The Great West Pre-Stress finally started cranking the pre-cast panels out, so not the yard is stocked up. Some panels are already being shipped out. (I know the tiny junky forklift isn't prototypical for large concrete panels, but its the only forklift I've got right now :eek: lol)

SL372354.jpg


SL372357.jpg


SL372360.jpg


SL372365.jpg


SL372366.jpg


SL372353.jpg


SL372352.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Okay so, here is the roads now. I have decided that road striping will NOT be necessary. This is because the road is closed due to the bridge expansion.

The road repairs were filled in. I left them a little rough, i wanted to show just a rough and quick patch, but after painting, you cant even tell the areas were rough lol

Here is a pic of what the roads looked like before the patching, as i said in my last post, i cut up quite a bit of the old road as i found out that more was damaged then i had thought

SL372329.jpg


Here are 2 pics after the areas were filled with new and improved "white asphalt" :D

SL372368.jpg


SL372370.jpg



After letting the patches dry completely over night, i painted them and added some details to the scene simulating a small stock yard of materials that would be used to build a new bridge. Some pipes for drainage, some sheet re-bar for the forms, sacks of concrete or mortar with a few pallets of bricks, a few tarped pallets, a stock pile of cones and barriers, and some other various small details. These were all stacked and set on the side of the road.

I also blocked off the road at the entrance for the CAT rental building and equipment yard so no traffic can come through to the bridge constructions site. Only truck traffic for the Great West Pre-Stress is allowed to come through the closed road..... Ive also put up some of the guard rails. There was a section that got broken in half, so i just used some cones and kinda made it looks like as if it needs to be repaired after an accident lol

Here are a few pics of the new patches, construction details and the new guard rails

SL372375.jpg


SL372376.jpg


SL372377.jpg


SL372378.jpg


SL372379.jpg


SL372380.jpg


SL372381.jpg


SL372382.jpg


SL372383.jpg


SL372384.jpg


SL372389.jpg


SL372393.jpg


SL372394.jpg


SL372396.jpg


SL372398.jpg


SL372399.jpg


SL372400.jpg


SL372402.jpg


SL372404.jpg


SL372405.jpg


SL372406.jpg


SL372407.jpg


SL372408.jpg


SL372409.jpg


SL372411.jpg


SL372415.jpg



Next up on the things to do is

1. finish the guard rails on the left and right side of the module
2. add dirt/weeds along the bottom of the guard rails
3. repair the CAT Rental Equipment Yard
4. start the bridge expansion for the new bridge
5. paint front edge of module brown
 
Last edited by a moderator:


Okay so here are some new pics. I finished the guard rails yesterday and also glued the dirt under the guard rails. While waiting for the dirt to dry, i began planting tall "weeds" all along the front of the module where the guard rail is. I used Woodland Scenics Field Grass in the Light Green and Gold Yellow colors mixed together. Some of them have more green, some more yellow, some about the same of each.

The guard rails are Rix Products kits that i assembled and made into long sections. The dirt under them is a sifted material i got from a bag of washed masonry sand. I got a few different grades from it, and it was a 50 pound bag, so i still have a ton left. It makes good river bases!!

The area on the left side of the bridge (8th picture) was just glued down this morning (the grass) so it is still white at the base from the scenic glue, but it will dry clear just like the others....

SL372416.jpg


SL372418.jpg


SL372419.jpg


SL372420.jpg


SL372421.jpg


SL372422.jpg


SL372423.jpg


SL372424.jpg


SL372425.jpg


SL372427.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Okay this is where im at currently with this module. It is almost complete, with just a few more things needing to be done to it
 
Josh, thats some great work there! Love the detail work on the building roofs. Looks like your modules are coming to gether nicely.
Hate to see you giving up most of the trains though. But, I'll give them a good home lol. I already put dcc into the 4 powered locos and now just await getting the 3 dummies. ;)

Eric aka ThoroughBreed :D
 
Josh, thats some great work there! Love the detail work on the building roofs. Looks like your modules are coming to gether nicely.
Hate to see you giving up most of the trains though. But, I'll give them a good home lol. I already put dcc into the 4 powered locos and now just await getting the 3 dummies. ;)

Eric aka ThoroughBreed :D

LOL thanks Eric!! :D

Its hard selling my trains off, but its somthing im being forced to do right now, everyday i dont have a job means i need to sell something to have money lol. I have 2 job leads that im hoping i can get one of them, hoping fingers crossed lol. One of them a night crew/graveyard shift at a Ralphs grocery store by me and another monitoring criminals on house arrest lol. There both looking good and hopefully i can nail one of them

Selling off my Athearn Blue Box locos is something i have been wanting to do for some time now but just never really got around to it, well now im forced too lol. I still have all my RTR and better locos, and thats what im going for for now on, RTR or better in the rolling stock and loco rosters lol Just a personal preference i guess, and im very glad to know that my locos are going to good homes :D
 
Looking good Josh, I must have missed this most recent update elsewhere. Its one good looking construction site!
 
Josh thats one of te nicest Construction sites I have seen. I like the details. And from someone who works in road construction part time I can tell you have worked in the field before or have really studied it well.

Trent
 
Josh and Trent, thank you for the comments :D

Trent, i have not worked in the construction industry before, being only 19, but i have grown up around it, and its been an interest of mine for as long as i can remember, ive always loved heavy equipment and trucks, as well as trains :D :D

I hope one day to be a heavy equipment operator :D
 


Thanks guys for the comments :D

I havnt gotten much work done on this one in a while, its just been sitting on one of my workbenche's for some time now lol, collecting dust, it will need a good cleaning before i do anymore work lol. Still need to bang out this bridge construction scene, so that will be next, stay tuned :D
 
Thanks guys for the comments :D

I havnt gotten much work done on this one in a while, its just been sitting on one of my workbenche's for some time now lol, collecting dust, it will need a good cleaning before i do anymore work lol. Still need to bang out this bridge construction scene, so that will be next, stay tuned :D

I remember you mentioning a "G/F.". I'm willing to bet all your energy and time has been going to her? Don't worry though...I'm just as guilty...;)
 
Josh, that road construction site does look really good. Where did you get the orange and white barrels? I've been looking all over for them.
 
Josh, that road construction site does look really good. Where did you get the orange and white barrels? I've been looking all over for them.

hehe thanks Jim :D

Those barrels are made by a guy that has his own business/site, its called Solder Enterprises, GREAT products and GREAT prices :D
 


Josh, are you sure you have the right name for the manufacturer of the orange barrels? I've done a web search and can't find any company with that name.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top