I_luv_bridges
Member
Hi all,
Well it all started when I found a need to cut some very thin accurately spaced slots for a resin-casting master part (Lattice bridge girder to be exact).
I tried using a razor saw but the results were less than perfect.
So I decided to spenf a few hours (actually quite a few, maybe 8 or so) building a small table saw with a 1 Inch blade in a dremel flexshaft.
Here is what I came up with:
View attachment 10371
Here is additional info on the build process.
Table top is 18 inches deep by 24 inches wide. Mostly MDF (Medium density Fiber-Board). White and Red parts are UHMW (Ultra High Molecular Weight) plastic (bought mine at a tools store in an assorted 3 pound bulk bag).
Key to good operation is to ensure everything remains square and parallel. I find that cutting spacers to mount things works a lot better than working from pencil lines.
Here is a pic of the top and arbor mounting plate. The hinges are made from UHMW drilled with 1/4 hole to accept 1/4 steel rod. It needs to be a snug fit and I clamped the hinge halves together when mounting then to the MDF. I used a pair of machinst 1-2-3 blocks (Perfectly square and accurate 1 inch x 2 inch x 3 inch steel block) to keep the top and arbor mounting plate parallel while fastening the hinges.
View attachment 10372
Here the mounting hardware for the flexshaft is in place. The aluminum piece holding the flexshaft is a piece I had been saving (I'm kind of a packrat for junk) in case I needed it someday. It has a 1/2 hole which is a perfect fit for the flexshaft. I also tried boring a hole into a piece of maple hardwood with a 1/2 inch Forstner bit and that worked too, but I liked that I could finally use a piece of junk that I had been saving for 25 years
View attachment 10373
Blade Height Adjustment is done by using a lever, a 1/4 threaded rod on a knob will be put through a tapped hole the saw skirt to raise and lowere the blade. Here is a view of the adjustment lever.
View attachment 10374
Well, the forum only lets me attach 4 files. Hopefully I can add a few more in a follow-up post
Well it all started when I found a need to cut some very thin accurately spaced slots for a resin-casting master part (Lattice bridge girder to be exact).
I tried using a razor saw but the results were less than perfect.
So I decided to spenf a few hours (actually quite a few, maybe 8 or so) building a small table saw with a 1 Inch blade in a dremel flexshaft.
Here is what I came up with:
View attachment 10371
Here is additional info on the build process.
Table top is 18 inches deep by 24 inches wide. Mostly MDF (Medium density Fiber-Board). White and Red parts are UHMW (Ultra High Molecular Weight) plastic (bought mine at a tools store in an assorted 3 pound bulk bag).
Key to good operation is to ensure everything remains square and parallel. I find that cutting spacers to mount things works a lot better than working from pencil lines.
Here is a pic of the top and arbor mounting plate. The hinges are made from UHMW drilled with 1/4 hole to accept 1/4 steel rod. It needs to be a snug fit and I clamped the hinge halves together when mounting then to the MDF. I used a pair of machinst 1-2-3 blocks (Perfectly square and accurate 1 inch x 2 inch x 3 inch steel block) to keep the top and arbor mounting plate parallel while fastening the hinges.
View attachment 10372
Here the mounting hardware for the flexshaft is in place. The aluminum piece holding the flexshaft is a piece I had been saving (I'm kind of a packrat for junk) in case I needed it someday. It has a 1/2 hole which is a perfect fit for the flexshaft. I also tried boring a hole into a piece of maple hardwood with a 1/2 inch Forstner bit and that worked too, but I liked that I could finally use a piece of junk that I had been saving for 25 years
View attachment 10373
Blade Height Adjustment is done by using a lever, a 1/4 threaded rod on a knob will be put through a tapped hole the saw skirt to raise and lowere the blade. Here is a view of the adjustment lever.
View attachment 10374
Well, the forum only lets me attach 4 files. Hopefully I can add a few more in a follow-up post
