branchline without power?

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Rorysm

New Member
Bare with me (newbie here), is it possible to make a branchline (hope that is the term) off the mainline of a track without any power to the branchline? Perhaps a system where I can turn power on and off? I'd like to effectively store one train parked on the track, at say a passenger station or something while a different train actually runs the track (I am just starting so it will probably be a pretty simple layout and not DCC so I'd just like to have a track nearby. I guess maybe I could just not actually connect the track down the branch line, perhaps not use the connectors for the track, but is there some some other way I can turn power on or off to that section?
 
Sure, and it is the way I use my diner replenishment track, off the end of the platform at my station, as a programming track.

First, you don't use joiners to link that spur to the turnout affording entry to it. Leave gaps there, both rails. Anchor those loose ends carefully, though. The safest way is with plain old scale ballast that is glued into place. Leave a gap at each rail about 2mm wide at most.

Then, off your power bus you run a pair of feeders to the middle of that spur or branch line, assuming it isn't longer than about 12 feet in total. Cut into those feeders in series is a simple SPST toggle switch that is on/off. When you want power to that line, just flip the toggle and away you go.
 
Crandell, that would require a SPST switch for each of the feeder wires. Simpler and easier is to use a DPST - double pole single throw - switch so both feeders are turned on or off in a single motion instead of 2 separate toggle switches.
 


My error, Mike, and thanks for catching it. Yes, indeed, a DPST so that both wires are in series. My bad. :o
 
Actually, you only need a SPST switch for power and just cut one rail to isolate it from the main and switch power on/off to that rail.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top