Bowser Triple Crown Roadrailers quality??

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


I believe 33" dia. wheels are correct for the Roadrailers. I used to have a 36 unit train with JayBee wheels and it ran great, forward and reverse, on curves as tight as 24" radius. If you do end up with a Roadrailer train, it is imperative that you get Plano's Coupler Mate detail kit. The difference is stunning and it takes very little effort to add to your Coupler Mate.
 
Ryan,
I now have 12 trailers and working on getting 6 more. I have plans to add to that as well but you know, money...

I was planning on getting the Plano upgrade as that Coupler Mate really needs it and Plano details are great.
Dave
 
I've been operating a 25 trailer swift train for years, and the damn things will operate over almost any kind of track with trouble. I have no trouble backing the train up, but you do need to keep the truck screws as tight as possible but still turn freely. Any looser and the trailer will lean causing more trouble. I highly recommend the models,as it IS the best operating train that I have. I did not add weight to the trailers, and I can back it upgrade up a helix.
 


That may be my problem, loose trucks. I'll check them later this afternoon. If they are loose, I'll get the trusty screw driver out and remove the weight in those that have it. Not all are weighted, just the troublesome ones. Maybe a dozen or so.

My set up normally consists of over 100 Triple Crown trailers. My layout is large enough to handle them with ease. No tail chasing. I have no trouble running forward, but backing the train into a siding or the yard is a problem.

Bob
 
I received a couple of "Triple Crowns" yesterday that I had ordered from Bowser. I'm really impressed with their appearance and quality. They are ready to run, which surprised me, as I had assumed they would be kits. I might add that they are weighted too. Overall, a nice addition to my collection.
Tom
 
Tom,
Do you mind posting some photos to show how the details are looking now. Mine are not very new and I would love to see if they have changed the tooling. I want to upgrade the rims and tires on the trailers as well as the wheelsets with metal wheels.
Dave
 
Yes, Bowser still makes them and has them in stock. I placed my order over this past weekend. I think this may be a new run. I don't have my camera right now, but will try to get some photos in a couple of days.
Tom
 
Thanks Tom I can't wait to see what you have. I don't know why but I really like these trains. I've nver seen one for real but I'm sure they are cool to see. I have 12 now and 6 more on the way. I plan on more in the future as well.
They do still make them and you can also get them from Walthers if you don't want to order directly from Bowser.
Dave
 
Hey fellas, do the roadrailers work well on 18" curves? I'm assuming not since they are over 50ft. but you never know I guess.
 


Tom,
Do you mind posting some photos to show how the details are looking now. Mine are not very new and I would love to see if they have changed the tooling. I want to upgrade the rims and tires on the trailers as well as the wheelsets with metal wheels.
Dave

They are the same but the assembled ones have painted hubs so the trailer wheels look better. To upgrade the wheels you can get some A-Line sets.
 
Dave,
Here are a couple of photos for you. Sorry about the quality though. They might not provide the detail you are looking for, but it's the best I could get out of my camera. By the way, the trailers and the coupler mate came with metal wheelsets and the trailers are weighted. I see these trains quite a bit here in the Pittsburgh area. They are quite unique and I always enjoy catching them when railfanning.
Tom

roadrailer2004.jpg


roadrailer005.jpg


roadrailer006.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
That's nice Tom, where in the burgh do you see these? I live in Pittsburgh before and it wasn't till I moved away that I started to railfan. I try to get out there every time I get to Pittsburgh because there are a lot of great areas there.
Dave
 
Hi Dave,
I usually see them at Glenfield, which is off Route 65, the Ohio River Blvd. There is a little community park right along side Norfolk Southern's main line. It's a great spot to catch everything going into and out of Conway Yard. Leetsdale is another spot I like. Sometime you can catch some switching out at the Industrial Park there.
Tom
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top