Block protection (newie to DCC)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


sajordan

New Member
Just getting started at wiring up a new Digitax DCC system on a moderate (when complete) room size layout. I read with interest the question and answers about block detection and have seen some articles about isolating the layout into blocks to ease troubleshooting down the road. The one on-line source was selling stuff, and used a DCC manufactures reset able CB. I’d like to save a few shekels, and have access to standard fuse holders. Will these work with the correctly sized and fast acting fuses installed? I’m looking at about 4 blocks total. Thanks in advance.
 
The club that I go to uses fuses for block protection. They use blade fuses that light when blown. It works but I’ve seen people go through 5 to 10 fuses before they fix the issue.
 
I think maybe you meant to say "power blocks"? Block detection is when you can tell when a train is a certian block of the track. You can use taillight bulbs, although i have never used them myself. There is a write up on it at the wiring for dcc website. Save your money and buy one of the dcc specialties psx series breakers, or something similar. They have several models that have multiple breakers on one board. Of course there are different breakers out there that you could use. I think you will get tired of replacing the fuses pretty fast.
 


Well, I.m an electrician by trade..

and a Scotsman on my fathers side, so I'll stick with the fuses. Those CB boards are selling for $30/40 a piece. I do have a meter, the fuses are just there to protect the engine/system. I'd rather spend the money on another Blackstone C-19. What a beauty!:)
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top