Best way to obtain N scale gear while living in a rural area?

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Hi... I'm new here. When I read this post regarding "where to get gear," I registered so that I could answer. It has already been said that you will probably have to mail order items that you need in n-scale. I live in a typical Florida town most of the year. We have Wally world, Micheal's and the home depots but not one darn hobby shop. Well at least none that carry n-scale (nor any-scale). There is a large city 30 miles away but that involves gas and toll fees. When I started modeling I did not think about this. It has become one of biggest issues. I had to order most dedicated n-scale items (track, structures, trains, some building materials, etc...) on-line, wait and pay for shipping, and if I need more I must repeat the process. I have sworn so many times that I shouldn't have taken up this hobby because of these pains. It's not like you can run over to the local hobby shop and pick-up items occasionally. I have enjoyed my layout but I could have done without shipping charges and waiting on the mail truck.
My advice is: to plan well ahead, order as much as you can from the same on-line supplier to save on shipping, and order plenty so don't have to double down on the process. Best regards... AJ
 
My only local source of train stuff is 20 miles away. I want to support them, but after I drive there and back, it's far cheaper to buy on line & have it arrive at my doorstep. Like 50% cheaper. You have to shop around for the great deals, but they're out there.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top