ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
I so far always use Atlas track. But what track is the best quality and best looking for your money?
Micro Engineering Code 83 and Code 70 are very nice. I believe some use Proto 87 track, particularly their tunouts and detailing materials.
I intend to use a mix of Atlas Code 83 and Micro Engineering on my next layout. I feel both are good value.
-Crandell
if you looking for concrete tie track - look at peco.
ME track is IMHO harder to work with, i don't think i like how it bends. perhaps a matter of taste. but it definitely looks good
I have been using all Walthers code 83 flex, it's expensive, but it looks nice and it's easy to work with.
I used Peco code 83 track and turnouts. I like the fact that the turnouts have a positive 'click' one way or another since I don't use switch motors or machines. I also like the fact that the flex track holds it's shape once curved without needing to secure it right away. It made for much easier soldering when I couldn't solder two sections before they were laid. The price is higher than the others mentioned, but it was worth the money for my simple track plan.
If you do decide to use Peco products, Cherry Creek Hobbies has by far the best prices I've found.
The best track for your money will be the track that serves the purpose for what you're trying to achieve. For me that used to be flex track until I lost feeling in my hands. After getting cut rather badly a couple of times due to using the tools required for tghe nipping of the stuff I stopped using it and went with EZ Track. It requires no sharp tools or nails or other pointed objects yet let me have track with roadbed. Not an ideal solution but it worked for me. You have to decide what's going to work the best for you. The opinion of others should be a guideline, not a solution. What works for one may not work for you.
For the money and ease of use Atlas gets my nod.
As JW pointed out it's a personal preferance.
My preference is also Atlas for its decent quality for the price and generic availability...
...but I also like Shinohara switches.
Atlas flex track and Walther/Shinohara switches(Shinohara quality at a better price). More bang for the buck. Add Peco to the list on both also.
Bob
Peco makes great track but the price & non-US prototype features make them a little hard for this modeler to handle.
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)