Best Source for Cheap Cars...

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Superfreak3

New Member
Hi there,

I'm just getting back into the hobby again, but don't have a ton of money to spend. I want to get some sharp looking freight cars/cabooses/etc and I'm looking for a cheap place (that doesn't kill you on shipping) to purchase said items from.

Any good suppliers out there that won't cost me tons?

Any info appreciated!

Thanks!
 
Hi there,

I'm just getting back into the hobby again, but don't have a ton of money to spend. I want to get some sharp looking freight cars/cabooses/etc and I'm looking for a cheap place (that doesn't kill you on shipping) to purchase said items from.

Any good suppliers out there that won't cost me tons?

Any info appreciated!

Thanks!

I bought a lot of nice freight & passenger cars off EBay when they were cheap. "NOT NOW". I've also bought some nice stuff from Forum members real cheap. The best prices are at Train shows & swap meets. The only thing you can't do is get in a hurry. If you take your time & look around for awhile the prices will come to you. I buy a lot of stuff from on-line hobby shops in their clearance section. Model Trainstuff is a good starter. HOYardSale is another great place for cheap rollingstock. I bought 6 drop center flat cars by ROCO for $18.00. I wasn't looking for any, but I couldn't pass up a good deal.
Another thing you can do is advertise in your local shopping guide that you want trains which I do about 4 times a year & it's free. You can also put a cheap classified ad in your local newspaper in the Wanted section.
I've gotten some fantastic deals from newspaper & shopping guide ads.
As I said before, don't get in a hurry. I bought about $400.00 worth of new stuff at a garage sale about 2 weeks ago for $20.00. Didn't need any of it, but couldn't pass up a good deal. Take your time. get the good stuff, not the junk. In Feb. I bought 40 Coal cars(brand new w/Kadee cplrs.)(Walthers, Athearn & Bachmann) for $60.00 at a Train Show.
 
Check your local hobby store first unless it's a franchise, ours has an abundance of sale items all the time, I can spend hours in there digging through for treasures.
 


What scale?? HO, N, O, etc? )(I know this is listed under HO but some folks use several gauges.) Check the "For sale" items at the lower part of this website's main menu. There are plenty of items for sale here. This is in addition to the above comments.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
If there's anything specific you're looking for send me a PM and a list, I can look what's available at my LHS for ya.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top