Best Hobby Shops on the Web

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Anyone here ever order from Trainworld/Trainland? I'm very tempted to by the price of a Proto 1000 NY Subway train in the lastest MR. Any experience with this outfit guys?
 
I ordered from them a year ago. Very good/excellent service. Incredible prices. I got a HO Athearn Genesis SD70Mac for $59. $7.50 shipping. Ive been to both of their stores in the NYC area, and you really cant drive there or take mass transit for $7.50, so from now on I use theyre website/or call.
 


Anyone order from Hiawatha Hobbies? They seem to have a good selection of things that I want, but their site layout looks very generic.
 
Anyone here ever order from Trainworld/Trainland? I'm very tempted to by the price of a Proto 1000 NY Subway train in the lastest MR. Any experience with this outfit guys?[/
QUOTE]

I got my Dash 8-32BWH from there. Very friendly people there. I'm getting my turbotrain from there as well.
 
It's been mentioned before by others... but I've gotten competent attentive service from both Hobbylinc and Model Train Stuff.

Both have really user friendly websites. :)
 
trainworld online is good,just received this today,ordered it thursday.
img1553j.jpg
 
Does anyone have a particular shop they go to for paint? I was just thinking I need paint and maybe there is a shop that has a good price on paint, better than most. What about other things in particular like you are looking for bass wood or styrene and one shop has better prices at one item more than the others? I’ve not been able to find any trends like this but I’m sure there are some.

Dave
 
Does anyone have a particular shop they go to for paint? I was just thinking I need paint and maybe there is a shop that has a good price on paint, better than most. ...

Dave

Klein's (modeltrainstuff.com) has a full selection of the PolyScale and Floquil railroad colors. They even stock Floquil rattle cans in a few of the more generic colors, not sure if they can ship those thru the mail though - might have to actually visit the store for them.
 
Depending on what paint you are looking for, I find much at Hobby Lobby and Wally World(aka WalMart).

The do not stock PolyScale or Floquil, but acrylic is acrylic, and enamel is enamel. And prices are affordable, though color match is questionable for road specific colors.

Mail order is expensive because of shipping. Best bet is LHS's.

Bob
 


Has anyone ordered from Wig-Wag?

I've been put off by their long and complicated list of rules that one must obey when ordering. But I wondered if perhaps they are friendlier in practice than you might expect from their hopelessly antiquated web site.

- Jeff
 
No, but reading their terms and conditions, it seems that they're saying:

"Helping you is too much like customer service"
"We're going to inconvenience you so that we don't have any remote chance of losing any money at all"
"We're not going to help the customer because that may cost us money"

So... they just lost a customer with that attitude.
 
At least they appear to have a phone number. And it's not an easter-egg hunt to find it.

What I can't stand are the many businesses that will only take a credit card over their "secure" website. You have to type in your CC info. And they have no phone.

Secure and website are words that can't be used together.

If I can't place an order with a live phone call what chance would I have of resolving a problem with only email? It's worse than buying food from an automat machine.
 
Also I agree with many about Trainworld. They are very good.

They aren't real 'warm & fuzzy' or chatty, but they stick to business and get it done. Great pricing, fast service and I found some P2K locos -- long ago sold out everywhere else I looked.

One was DOA (manufacturing problem) and they swapped it with no hassle. You can't beat that. :cool:
 
They are definitely no BS, which is a good thing in this day and age.

I did have issue with them recently. I emailed them to see if a very hard to find/not in production item was in stock. They responded in writing, yes, it was. I placed an order over their website right then. I was disappointed when the next day when I received an email saying it was backordered. I emailed with them and said, 'I know you move alot of product, but I placed an order instantly after I got the email saying it was in stock.' They said I could cancel, which I did.
 
Charles, although the lack of a phone number doen't indicate much of a willingness to speak to customers, ordering by credit card is really the most secure thing you can do. If they don't deliver, or deliver a defective product, you can dispute the charge with your CC company and the merchant has to respond. If not, they loos the money and you get a refund on the charge. I've done this several times and never had a problem getting my money back. The worst thing anyone can do is use a debit card or order through Paypal without using a credit card as the payment mechanism. In those cases, the merchant has your money and it's up to you to fight with him to get it back.
 
Charles, although the lack of a phone number doen't indicate much of a willingness to speak to customers, ordering by credit card is really the most secure thing you can do. If they don't deliver, or deliver a defective product, you can dispute the charge with your CC company and the merchant has to respond. If not, they loos the money and you get a refund on the charge. I've done this several times and never had a problem getting my money back. The worst thing anyone can do is use a debit card or order through Paypal without using a credit card as the payment mechanism. In those cases, the merchant has your money and it's up to you to fight with him to get it back.

Depends on which bank you have the debit card through.

By law, banks must have a debit card protection service against unauthorized charges, but the law does not say that the bank must offer it by default, nor does it require banks to tell you that they have that service or whether it is free.

I have my debit card through Bank of America and they offer the protection by default to all cardholders. If you see an unauthorized charge, you call their claims department, they'll credit your account within 24 hours, then send you an affidavit to sign confirming that the charges were unauthorized or that the product was not as decribed.
 
Trainworld - OTL for Canada

IMHO Trainworld is OTL for Canada

From their website

AIR MAIL SHIPPING Parcel Post Canada & Overseas Minimum $24.99

$25 might be OK if the order is for a couple of hundred but as a minimum.:(

Even Walthers starts at $6.25 +15% which would even out at appx. $125
 
I just got 2 atlas gold dash 8's from there. To my door after taxes and duty and exchange, Etc. $455 cdn

For small things like details and electronics I would like to find a good online source

Any idea's?
 
Last edited by a moderator:


Kellan, I guess it would have to be a Canadian dealer, since the freight from the US would kill you for small orders. I've obviously never ordered from them, but I've read good thing about Credit Valley (http://www.cvrco.com/index.htm). I'm sure some of our other Canadian members will chime in.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top