Beginning (again) to model the Pittsburgh & Lake Erie RR

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


P&LE

Member
As I have posted before (recently and in the not too distant past), I am planning to model the Pittsburgh & Lake Erie RR. If you're not familiar with it, Google it, it's a fascinating railroad and definitely worth your time to read about.

For my first attempt at modelling the P&LE, I've decided to forgo trying to duplicate/model specific and actual places on the prototype (hopefully I can do that in the future when my skills and knowledge are more rounded), and instead have decided to model a prototype based freelanced "fictional" branchline of the P&
LE, as it may have appeared in 1952 (my chosen era for modelling).

To that end, I have come up with the following "history" of my branchline and how it would tie into the real P&LE. It is still a work in progress and I will continue to "flesh it out".

Your thoughts and input are very welcome.

Thanks

PLE

Pittsburgh & Lake Erie
Beaverton Line story

The Beaverton line of the Pittsburgh & Lake Erie RR is a 21 mile branchline extending east from just south of Beaver Pennsylvania. Its purpose is to serve several small towns and coal mines, as well as the fairly large (and purely fictional) city of Beaverton Pennsylvania. As the branch leaves the P&LE mainline, it crosses the Ohio river on a large steel trestle, where it immediately crosses and interchanges with the Pennsylvania RR, near the Pennsylvania RRs Conway yard. Negotiations related to this crossing also include trackage rights for the Pennsylvania RR, over P&LE rails, to serve a coal mine and a handful of smaller industries east of Beaverton in the small town of Potosi PA (also fictional). The PRR also has rights to operate through trains to the connection with its own branchline located just east of Potosi. Occasionally, as traffic demand warrants, service of the coal mine and industries in Potosi is handled by a P&LE train, while the train is servicing other customers normally served by the P&LE.

The P&LE, in addition to freight service, also operates full passenger service to towns on the branch, including Potosi. When track conditions warrant, PRR also has passenger train rights on the Beaverton line to its branchline connection east of Potosi PA, however the PRR does not operate passenger service to any towns on the Beaverton line, including Potosi PA.
 
As I have posted before (recently and in the not too distant past), I am planning to model the Pittsburgh & Lake Erie RR. If you're not familiar with it, Google it, it's a fascinating railroad and definitely worth your time to read about.

For my first attempt at modelling the P&LE, I've decided to forgo trying to duplicate/model specific and actual places on the prototype (hopefully I can do that in the future when my skills and knowledge are more rounded), and instead have decided to model a prototype based freelanced "fictional" branchline of the P&
LE, as it may have appeared in 1952 (my chosen era for modelling).

To that end, I have come up with the following "history" of my branchline and how it would tie into the real P&LE. It is still a work in progress and I will continue to "flesh it out".

Your thoughts and input are very welcome.
That is nice, but ... well, If you are really planning on doing more research to model a specific real place in the future, I wouldn't spend to much effort making up fictional stories and geography. Just make a model railroad to your liking and run P&LE equipment on it. Instead of spending the time developing a freelance story and all that goes with that, spend that time researching the prototype for use with the "future version". I'm guessing you will be able to find prototypical things to slip into the layout as you go.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top