Bedroom Winter Shelf Module/Layout

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Well, finally started a small shelf layout. I'm in an apartment at the moment so needed something small/removal but didn't want to go for the old 4 x 8 layout. So I hung some shelves and am making a series of shelve "modules" that will eventually span around the room i have here but still be removable if ever I move on up to the east side ;) Here are some pics of what I am currently working on which is a "winter" scene. Still have grass and a few details on the road to do but this will give you an idea. Let me know what you think and maybe give me tips on what else i could add to this scene to ehance the realism. Enjoy! :)

8365417039_756e25c4de_z.jpg


8366487606_4e622b38fb_z.jpg


8365417177_d768d89a11_z.jpg


8366487694_4cd56f35f3_z.jpg


8365417235_71d45ce197_z.jpg


8365417253_d03a813c94_z.jpg


8365417293_784521e16f_z.jpg
 
Cool, no down right cold! If that's a thermostat on the wall, set it waaay down.
 
Very impressive! That is without a doubt the best representation of a winter scene that I've ever seen! Especially well done are the snow drifts and the plowed snow. Excuse me a moment while I put my coat on. Brrrrr.

As good as these scenes are, I regret to inform you that I much prefer a summer scene where the temperature is a balmy 90°. I've already had my fill of winter and it's just getting a good start.:eek:
 


An excellent example of a snowy model railroad. Great job and loomking forward to seeing your progress
 
Looks great, what did you use for the snow?
I an planning a snow scene on the next layout, there's some good snowy backgrounds available from a few companies.
 
Thanks all for the kind words. I used normal wall plaster for the snow and then sanded it down to get a somewhat uniform look. The hardest part by far is trying to clean the rails off after plaster gets on them (I have been using a nail file to clean around them. Once I finish with this section, I plan to make a nice hill and bridge scene similar to the pic attached. Any other ideas from you guys would be much appreciated...
CSX%2Bin%2Bthe%2BSnow.jpg
 
Well, finally started a small shelf layout. I'm in an apartment at the moment so needed something small/removal but didn't want to go for the old 4 x 8 layout. So I hung some shelves and am making a series of shelve "modules" that will eventually span around the room i have here but still be removable if ever I move on up to the east side ;) Here are some pics of what I am currently working on which is a "winter" scene. Still have grass and a few details on the road to do but this will give you an idea. Let me know what you think and maybe give me tips on what else i could add to this scene to ehance the realism. Enjoy! :)

8365417039_756e25c4de_z.jpg


8366487606_4e622b38fb_z.jpg


8365417177_d768d89a11_z.jpg


8366487694_4cd56f35f3_z.jpg


8365417235_71d45ce197_z.jpg


8365417253_d03a813c94_z.jpg


8365417293_784521e16f_z.jpg

Very nice. I once had a shelf layout with a lift-up section at the doorway. Have you decided what type of section you will have in the doorway? Here is a shot of the lift up section I had. Attached to wall with a strip of wood and pianos hinges.
 
Really good work! Looking at the picture and the scene, I actually "feel" cold, and it makes me feel like I am in the dead of winter with an overcast sky right on the verge of dusk. I love it when I can look at model pics and feel like I am there.
 


Really good work! Looking at the picture and the scene, I actually "feel" cold, and it makes me feel like I am in the dead of winter with an overcast sky right on the verge of dusk. I love it when I can look at model pics and feel like I am there.

Makes you feel like you're in the dead of winter, eh? You are aren't you? I know it's been 60 for two days here in Cleveland, but it is still winter!:)
 
" Let me know what you think and maybe give me tips on what else i could add to this scene to ehance the realism."

LakeErieExpress-I wouldn't add a thing. Sometimes less IS more, especially when it comes to winter. The absence of 'stuff' makes the landscape that more desolate, frigid, and foreboding. I can actually feel the wind whipping across the open fields, unobstructed, biting at my skin as I slowly walk past the scene.
 
I love it! Doing my N scale layout (I have both HO & N layouts) in a winter theme and this has given me the impetus to get back downstairs and get to work. Seriously, you asked about tips for added realism and I can think of one right off the bat: snow is rarely pure white; it actually has a bit of a bluish cast to it. Maybe a light wash of blue paint and I do mean light with very much thinned out paint. Try the technique on a test piece of snow not on the layout before you commit to doing it on the whole layout.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top