ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
I've been working the last few weeks on getting some freight cars weathered since most of mine haven't been. I got one CNW boxcar completed and one BN covered hopper still in the works. Plus a few others but I don't have pics of those yet. So here's what I've been up to!
The weathering was done with a combination of chalks and washes. I first hit the entire car with a black India ink wash, then a "dirt" wash of acrylic paints thinned with water, applied some rust by stippling it on, then used a wet brush to create the streaks. Once the paint was dry, I applied a few chalks to the car. Sealed the whole thing with krylon matte finish spray paint and then applied the graffiti with paint markers. None of the work on this car was prototyped; it's all free hand.
Good work looking at your pics do the sharpie paint markers work well for this?
Sent from Pete's Pad using Tapatalk
Good work looking at your pics do the sharpie paint markers work well for this?
Sent from Pete's Pad using Tapatalk
The sharpie ones I've got are too wide. You really need something with a super fine tip. I didn't find that out until I started this car today. So for future cars I'll be using fine tip paint markers. Sharpie brand ones do work well as far as coverage is concerned. I didn't have any issues with the color of the car coming thru. There's a company called Deco Color that makes great ones too. I actually like theirs more but don't have many of them at the moment.
Thanks for the compliments guys!
Car looks great, so realistic with the added weathering and graffiti.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well-Known Member
Staff member
Excellent work, inspiring. The graffiti looks like it's been well practiced (1/1 scale perhaps

)
Excellent work, inspiring. The graffiti looks like it's been well practiced (1/1 scale perhaps

)
It is so good it does look as though it may have been the result of a, well, questionable youth

Very nice, I'd would love to see it with some scenery!
It is so good it does look as though it may have been the result of a, well, questionable youth
I spent some time as a kid doing graffiti. Still do but now it's in my garage only. Thanks for the compliments guys! Once I've got some scenery on the layout I'll post more pics.
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)