Ballast - Masonry Sand

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


I don't think I'd want to use Diatomaceous earth. The chemical composition is is 86% silica, 5% sodium, 3% magnesium and 2% iron. In addition, the silica is highly abrasive and wouldn't be a good thing to get sucked up into train motors. I'm in agreement with LOS here. Ballast, even for a fairly large layout, is a small expense, especially if you factor in things like gas to go around and get this other stuff. I'd just buy the ballast. You can get 32 ounce shaker bottles of ballast at places like HobbyLinc for $8. 32 ounces will cover a lot of track.

Magnesium isn't good either. Especially if you get any sparks. So, that's another reason if the other two previously mentioned aren't enough :D
 
I looked on another forum and somebody there suggested chick (poultry) grit if you have a feed / farm supply nearby.
 


ballest

That's a good idea. I have to drive into town today so I'll check out the feed store. We may not have any hobby store's or Wal-mart. In the entire county we only have about 2,500 people but in the summer we have about 20,000 head of cattle. Do we have livestock feed!
 
I have been told that WS ballast is actually pulverized walnut shells. Is this true?

Thinking about feeds: I wonder if there would be any insect problem??
 
Rex, most WS ballast is dried, crushed walnut shells. They use them because they take and hold die easily. As I understand it, Alabama is one their biggest suppliers of black walnuts for their ballast. I would be leary of poulty grit unless it was washed, crushed granite, and kiln dried. Other types of poulty grit can contain almost anything from regular old dirt to spiders and worse. :eek:
 
Poultry grit is fairly coarse for ballast but can be sifted or crushed.
It is mainly Granite but can have other ingredients depending on the producer I'm told.
I got some from a poultry farmer and used it for G scale.
WS ballast is indeed crushed walnut shell. There was a case of someone's son having an allergic reaction from handling it, a rare case to be sure but it can happen to extremely sensitive people.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top