Necrosaro420
Member
Couldnt find alot of good info on google so im gonna ask here. After I lay my roadbed, should I ballast it before, or after I lay the track down?
It looks pretty good for a test run. Couple thoughts - will you be using roadbed? and how will water and glue affect the dirt? I'm wondering if the dirt will dissolve. Be sure to run a rather strong magnet through the "ballast" before getting a loco near it. Little bits of iron and motor magnets don't play well together.
Thanks Jon,
You raised some excellent points which I didn't even begin to consider!
Just now passed a magnet over the track and not much came up, but certainly enough filings to bugger an engine for sure. I'll give it a try spraying some glue just to see what happens... probably just make hard mud! It'll be fun to see what happens.![]()
Greg
Depends on the size used. WS makes different sizes. I use the medium on my HO layouts but others tend to use the fine grind.If anyone is using the Woodland Scenics ballast, let me know your opinion...
I think that the ballast is too large for HO, but it might just be me![]()
My 11 step method (for HO - using commercial "pre-fabricated" track)
1 - Lay track bed (I'm using cork, but experimenting with 3mm MDF)
Ross McConchie
Canberra, Australia
In the US, MDF (Medium Density Fiberboard) is NOT water resistant. I do not know if the same is true where you are. And as long as you are aware of the limitations it will probably work but could be noisy.
