Back With Another Design Try

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Since I haven't gotten any feedback yet to my last post, I'll add some more questions. :)

I was just reading another thread and it mentioned a helix. I then checked You tube and found some nice videos for N-scale helices. I was thinking of using one before, but now I'd like to explore it a little further, even though it would increase the difficulty of keeping my layout portable.

So, if my incline is still too steep, would a helix be more feasible? I think I know the answer - the incline is fine and a helix is just asking for trouble, but I had to ask the experts. :)

Anyway, I did a rendering with 2 helices for fun, but while thinking about that and looking at some designs in the thread I was reading, I got the idea to add a separate staging section to my layout. It would be located along the left side of the layout on separate benchwork. There would be a single track connecting it to the current storage area on the lower left side. I could then reconfigure the storage area something like I did in the attached photo. This would give me more room for scenery, reduce the number of turnouts, etc.

I wouldn't need to use the staging section all the time either. I could leave various trains on the track and connect the staging area only when I wanted to do some switching. Also, by making it a separate section, I wouldn't have to decorate it much and could eventually configure a "real" yard just for swirching operations like many of you seem to do.

Comments???
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Dave --

This might be a bit harsh. Feel free to ignore advice you are not going to listen to anyways :-)

In my opinion, this is a bad idea.

Planning to lug around 3 x 10 foot sections of layout maybe 6-8" thick (including benchwork under and mountains on top) with fragile scenery is a recipe for getting both your heart and your back broken.

Adding all kinds of stuff - a second layout on top or helices just makes the idea even worse. Big sections with lots of stuff on top is not (IMO) a very practical idea for a sectional layout that will have to be stowed several times a year.

The track plan also does not make me feel all that enthusiastic. I see little sign of you visually (and operationally) thinking in scenes and functions.

But it is your layout.

Smile,
Stein
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Stein,

Not harsh at all and much closer to what I expected from more folks here. But let me explain something for a minute or 2. Unlike most of you, I have no railroad experience or desire to recreate a replica of a specific region, operation, etc., so I can "play" engineer or relive a former/imaginary life on the railroad. If I had my druthers, I'd have a 1' shelf layout running around every nook and cranny in my house, like some LHSs do. I'd run continuous trains along that route as often as I could and I'd be perfectly content. Even at 63, I love to drive with no destination in mind and I see no reason to change that "image" for a model railroad.

Unfortunately, the shelf is not an option, so I'm trying to wrap as much open running as I can into a small space while giving it some operational elements, mostly to please you folks. I don't even know at this point if I'll ever get to adding scenery, though I'd like to. I don't sit for hours reading train magazines trying to understand how any part of the whole system works or longing for the day I can be an engineer, etc. I simply want to lay down some tracks and have a train follow them wherever they lead. I know that may sound silly to you and cause you to wonder why I'm bothering, but that's my total interest in all this. I love to watch trains, but I don't dwell on what's actually happening as they move from place to place, be it a yard or the open road.

All I'm pretty much looking for here is a thumbs up/down on specific parts of the layout, will they work or won't they or can they be made a little better/more functional. I'm open to ideas, but they need to meet my open running goals as opposed to someone else's vision of how they'd use the space to meet their operational requirements for switching, industries, etc. My original plan was simply to model the open running between El Paso and Tucson with nothing but desert scenery and only a few spurs to no place in particular.

I had expected some of you would be able to put aside your visions for how you'd use the sapce and help me make my elements a little more functional or suggest a few elments I might consider adding to do specific things without completely throwing the baby out with the bath water, so to speak. I'm quite pleased with the comments I've gotten so far, as far as they go, but no one has commented on things like the steepness of the incline, the radius of the curves, etc. I hate to just assume that stuff will work until I get to construction and find they won't.

Anyway, I had a steep incline in my first design and was told it was too steep, so out it came. Then I had that convoluted switching area in the upper section and was told that wouldn't work either, so I redesigned that whole area. Someone suggested I integrate my separate top level into the layout, so I added a longer incline to make that happen (and I like the result, trains running up/down the incline on both sides of the center). I added some specific operations too; the horse ranch and small town/cattle loading area in the upper section, the meat processing plant in the lower section, and the passneger/sight-seeing train. And you're telling me I have no operational/functional vision. That I don't get. Do I have to have a big yard and town with several delivery/pickup points and then some more switching/delivery points 2-3 more places along the route to satisfy folks here? What is so wrong with a layout for mostly open running? And why can't folks make suggestions with that goal in mind? :)

That said, I have already nixed the helix idea on my own as I played with the design most of yesterday. It didn't save any track and just complicated both the building process and the ability to build in sections. I also decided to definitely add the standalone storage area to give me more options in the lower section and to maybe divide the layout into more sections for easier handling the "3" times a year it has to be moved. And when I say "stored", I'm not talking about laying them on their sides or anything like that for days on end. Each piece will simply be set on a bed, card tables, or floor in a bedroom that is off the living/dining room area where the layout is. They will be dismantled in the morning and put back together before bedtime, the family events take place between noon and 6:00 or so. And, now that I think about it, it's really only 2 times a year because the table is not used Christmas Eve. That leaves just Easter and Thanksgiving at our house where the table is used. :)

But, be all that as it may, I doubt many would have a problem if the layout were unwrapped to form a simple 20x3 loop to loop shelf or "L"-shaped layout with a mountian grade along the back side. I see this as kind of like the left side of the plan found on page 50 in Kalbach's 101 Track Plans book and very much like the N-scale shelf layout I saw at a local club a few weeks ago. No, they are not the same, but this is nothing more than flat open track with some spurs running along the front of a shelf and a second level running along the back. They are connected by loops/inclines on both ends with the high point in the middle and making continuous running up, down, and around possible.

I must be missing something because I see a fairly simple layout wrapped around itself. Maybe it's just the sectional aspect people don't get, but I'm determined to make that work. Eventually this will be unwrapped and placed permanently in a back bedroom, perhaps before it's even completed. Based on our lifestyle of travel, I see this taking 2-3 years to get to the point where scenery comes into play and another 2-3 years or more for that. The priority willl be getting up and running, not trying to make it look pretty. :)

And, yes, it's my layout, but I'm still hoping for some help to make it the best it can be given my goals. I also think it can be changed fairly easily if those goals change. The majority of work will be the center "mountain" and the sectional benchwork. My latest iteration (attached) has nothing but straight track at the points where I could turn it into 4 sections instead of only 2. If I'm willing to try to tackle those, what else is wrong that will make the layout less enjoyable "for me"? If you have Kalmbach's 101 track Plans book, take a look at plan 57, the Baltimore & Hudson, on page 32. Half the layout is yard (which I don't want but realize I have to have a place to store running stock) and there are only 4 real structures on the whole layout. Once out of the yard, the rest is open running.

BTW, I really do appreciate your honesty, as well as all your other posts I've read here, and I hope you'll respond again. If nothing else, this gives me another opportunity to express my goals and thoughts. Maybe some folks will take another look with those in mind, but I think I'm ready to start buidling the latest design as time permits. Please don't anyone stop commenting because I'm still a long way from the point of no return. :)

BTW, I took out the center line, so don't forget that you only "see" each half, upper and lower, as you move around the layout counter-clockwise from lower left to upper left and back. I also forgot to note there is a depot setup (Durango) near the entrance to the Passenger Car Storage area. I may also replace the Mountain Top/Lake with an old mining town (Silverton). If there is anything close to a real railroad, it would be the D&S Scenic Railroad between Durango and Silverton in Colorado.
 
Last edited by a moderator:


Could be a fun loop-to-loop situation. You'll want a passing siding on the lower portion.

Expecting this to be portable will probably drive you mad. If it's only two pieces they'll be too big to get through a house. If it's more than two pieces you'll have so many track alignment problems it won't be any fun to run trains. Even as it is, if you cut it into two 3x10 pieces you'll have six breaks in the track and at different elevations. Big trains are particular about their track work - N scale is 160 times as particular because it's 1:160 the size.
 
My thoughts - for what they're worth...
I would definitely look into adding some switching type areas. I personally prefer long running sections so I can sit and watch the trains. But - I wanted to make sure I didn't someday get bored with just that. I'd hate to put hundreds of hours and dollars into a layout, and find that I was bored with just looping trains. This being said, it could very well be that I may never get bored running trains, and my switching areas may get little use.
so, think of some industries you want to model. I've made the case else where that in most cases, it almost doesn't matter what your industries are until you begin buying your freight fleet and doing scenery. The only exception is modeling space-intensive industries, like a major steel plant (like.... Bethlehem Steel) vs. a metal works in Newport Rhode Island which is a very small building (and I actually never knew existed until years later!).
So, mentally think of a yo-yo factory, a fish head refinery and a molecular polishing plant for your first three industries until you begin scenic-ing.

Once you think of your industries, locate them on your track plan, and plan for spurs to drop off cars. You need at least two per. Why? Because if car#3 and car #7 are going to Gallitzin Fish Head Processing, you've got to have a place to drop and cut while getting to car #3 and car #7. You have to do something with cars #4,5 & 6!

The one post is correct - ultimately it's your railroad. If you want to do something that appeals to you and everyone else says "i wouldn't do that" - go with your heart unless everyone can give you good logical reasons why not.
 
Could be a fun loop-to-loop situation. You'll want a passing siding on the lower portion.

How did you know I was just thinking about that very thing? :) After I took out all the storge area, I felt something was missing and I was looking at that yesterday. I just started lookijng at it again after posting my latest iteration.

I see 2 options and I'm not sure which would be best. Without changing much, there is the space between the turnout to the Center and the one to the Plant. Unfortunately, I think it would be a little short.

The other option would be to add a crossover between the track to the Storage Area and the track coming out of the curve just above that on the left side. I could just do a matching turnout there going down from left to right, but a crossover would let me come out of storage and get around a train that might be sitting on the lower track for some reason. Did you have something else in mind?

Expecting this to be portable will probably drive you mad..............N scale is 160 times as particular because it's 1:160 the size.

Appreciate the comment, but moving through the house is not even a little problem. The bedroom opens through double doors (4.5x8 opening) to the dining/living room and that room is quite an open design. I won't bore you with details, but if I had to, I could actually move the entire layout in one piece, tilting it slightly to get through the doors. The only reason for the sections is to lighten the load for my wife and me. Two 3' sections would go right in and just sit across the bed for a few hours, no fuss-no muss.

Now, I admit the tracks could be a bit of a problem, especially the one on a slight angle, and I guess I'll find out just how big. :) There are only 3 hidden tracks on the right side that need to be dealt with and I intend to create a side opening for access to those in addition to the opening created by lifting out the mountain/lake. The other 3 are wide open and I expect to have no more trouble with them than I do with the E-Z Track I have now. I've rearranged it 10 or more times in the short time I've had it with no issues at all.

Maybe I'm being naive, but I see little issue with removing a few 5" pieces of track twice a year. I would suspect most layouts have track that needs a little TLC every so often and I think supported foam will be a little more forgiving. The center will be split right down the middle, but both the mountain range and the mountain/lake area will be constructed as inserts that will simply lift out.

I may do the same with other elements too, like the Old West town, ranch, etc. I'd like to add a forest area between the ranch/town and make that removeable too. In other words, many of the major scenic elements will be removed for moving. I know that will create some issues with visible joints, but right now I don't much care about that. Oh, and the base will be 2" foam with 1" foam forming those different levels in the center and the tunnels. I also see hardwood backing where the 2 sections meet.

None of this probably changes your opinion, but there it is. Maybe I am biting off more than I can chew, but I'll find out soon enough and, if push comes to shove, I can still do something different in the center to make things easier. IMHO, it would be easy enough to eliminate the green tracks, drop the orange tracks down, and connect them to the upper left curve. The actual operation would remain pretty much the same, just without the incline and mountain range. The center part was added partly because someone didn't like the table layout aspect of my first attempt. They mistakenly thought the layout was butted up to a wall making the reach for some parts impossible. So, I turned it into a walkaround and wanted something in the middle for separation.

Thanks again for your comments.
 
My thoughts - for what they're worth...
I would definitely look into adding some switching type areas. I personally prefer long running sections so I can sit and watch the trains. But - I wanted to make sure I didn't someday get bored with just that. I'd hate to put hundreds of hours and dollars into a layout, and find that I was bored with just looping trains. This being said, it could very well be that I may never get bored running trains, and my switching areas may get little use.
so, think of some industries you want to model. I've made the case else where that in most cases, it almost doesn't matter what your industries are until you begin buying your freight fleet and doing scenery. The only exception is modeling space-intensive industries, like a major steel plant (like.... Bethlehem Steel) vs. a metal works in Newport Rhode Island which is a very small building (and I actually never knew existed until years later!).
So, mentally think of a yo-yo factory, a fish head refinery and a molecular polishing plant for your first three industries until you begin scenic-ing.

Once you think of your industries, locate them on your track plan, and plan for spurs to drop off cars. You need at least two per. Why? Because if car#3 and car #7 are going to Gallitzin Fish Head Processing, you've got to have a place to drop and cut while getting to car #3 and car #7. You have to do something with cars #4,5 & 6!

The one post is correct - ultimately it's your railroad. If you want to do something that appeals to you and everyone else says "i wouldn't do that" - go with your heart unless everyone can give you good logical reasons why not.

Thanks a lot for your comments, great advice and ideas, I've added them to my folder of things to consider.

And believe me, I get it, everything you said, including the need for 2 spurs each. However, I'm simply not ready to give it that much thought. I did try to design the major runs to allow relatively easy changes in the future. If I change the concept of the upper section, I can rip out what's there and add several more spurs to service industries along that whole mainline, just as you suggest. I can even take out the top mountain range/mountain to add a real town, mining operation, etc.

With any layout, there are always things others would do differently. For me, I think I've added enough spurs to find out if I develop any interest for switching, etc. And, given the time I have to devote to this project, I believe I will know that well before I get to the scenery stage. I will probably run trains for a year or more before I add my first piece of scenery.

I should mention too that I really care very little about modeling. Building structures is not my thing and I don't think it ever will be, though one should never say never. My one and only previous layout back in the 70's, plywood only, no roadbed, etc., never progressed past the "2-level offset layout strung on pulleys above the hood of our car" stage. I simply enjoyed running a single train up, down and around, so I know what makes me happy. For that matter, I may not even add roadbed to this layout, just set the track directly on the foam. Those are the kinds of decisions I'll make as I go along and how far away I am from why most of you build a layout. :)
 
:D ROFTL.

*Great* post! [And some really helpful comments - Thanks!]

Cheers,
Ian

I thought that was a good post too and I even liked the industries mentioned. Trouble is, I'm just not ready to think about things that much and I probably should be before I even start on the benchwork. For me, I think I've already added more than enough spurs and they're just going to sit idle. :)
 
Here's a couple more questions:

1. I plan to mount 2" foam directly to the 1x4 grid, use 2" foam blocks for the incline and 1" foam for the mountain range. Can I get away with that with N-scale or will things be too heavy for the 2" foam? The grid will be ~16" squares.

2. If that will be okay, will running beads of caulk on the grid be enough to keep the foam from shifting?
 


Thanks, Michael, I thought so based on what I've read, but I wanted to make sure after I saw your comment in another thread about gluing foam to plywood.
 
I updated my last photo to include the addition of the suggested runaround on the bottom mainline and a version of the storage yard. I actually made some more changes as I was composing this. Those were to add a runaround at the top of the yard and to reconfigure the TT a bit. Anyone have a better way to do the yard area?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
No comments on the latest rendering, huh? Well, I guess that's okay, no one seems to like the design much anyway. Even so, I'm going to keep playing with it. If I'm the only one who comments anymore, that's okay, it all helps me work out my ideas. It might be you, it might be me, but one of these days one of us is going to be able to say I told you so. The difference is you won't be out any money, I will. :)

Anyway, it looks like I need to add another 1/2' to the width of the storage yard section so I can add some more branches to the left side of the yard. I have no idea how many locos or how much rolling stock I'll eventually buy, but if I see something I like, I'll likely add it to the inventory, whether it fits in or not. For me it's not about era or reality, it's all about colorful trains running around the layout. :)

I also want to see if I can extend the upper siding all the way around the right to join up with the lower siding so I can have 2 mainlines going around that portion of the layout. I know that means I'll have to move the incline loop and the track below it a bit to the left, but I think it will work. If not, I'm happy enough with what I have so far.
 
I was gonna suggest... well see that piece of track, well you might have to move it, or you might not have to, it's all up to you. See what I mean?
 
I was gonna suggest... well see that piece of track, well you might have to move it, or you might not have to, it's all up to you. See what I mean?

Not sure I understand which track you are talking about. The ones I know I'll have to move are the green loop on the right, blue half oval/tunnel on the right, and Food Dist Center spur.

Here's what it would look like:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
No comments on the latest rendering, huh? Well, I guess that's okay, no one seems to like the design much anyway.

Not true!.... I think the lack of comments is commensurate with "the great unwashed" (us!) not having suggestions for improvement - The "minor" stuff (getting the runarounds working better etc) has been suggested, and you've responded - I like it, but more importantly, *you* like it.....

Cheers,
Ian
 
Not true!.... I think the lack of comments is commensurate with "the great unwashed" (us!) not having suggestions for improvement - The "minor" stuff (getting the runarounds working better etc) has been suggested, and you've responded - I like it, but more importantly, *you* like it.....

For some reason, I knew you'd say something like that. :) I'm not trying to whine, I'm just surprised that there isn't more "conversation" here. The problem is that after I make some of the changes folks recommend, too few come back to let me know whether or not I got what they were suggesting.

A good example was that convoluted track I had off the main in the upper section. I completely changed that, but have no idea if that is what the poster had in mind. Am I supposed to just assume?

More recently, I added/changed the industries I'm servicing and added the yard. I'm not looking for an "atta boy", I've got no experience with this part of the hobby and I'm simply looking for some kind of confirmation that the changes I've made will work and add a touch of reality/action.

I also know I have some difficult areas with the large tunnel there on the right side. I now have 4 tracks (1 on a different level and a curve at that) that will be covered and I'm not sure how I'm going to build that part so I have access. When the top part was a separate section, access would have been by simply lifting the section off. What I don't need is to be told "they are too complicated" or "I wouldn't do it that way". What I do need is to know if it's impossible and the reason why or that it would be easier if done this way and still accomplish the same goal.

Being a relative novice, I don't see a problem because they are "through" tracks, but I'm sure I'm missing something. I'm already thinking about moving the Mountain Top to the left so I can cover at least the 3 right-most tracks with a removable part of the mountain. What I'd really like to do is to put a mountain village there that I could remove to gain access to the 3 tracks below and the one curved track inside. However, when I make a comment like that and get no opinions, I don't know what to do. There are just too many members here for no one to have an opinion.

I've been following your thread too and it seems like you're in somewhat the same boat. You get a couple of folks responding, but not much in the way of support for ideas one way or the other. Some of that is because there doesn't seem to be much interest in marrying trains and slot cars. I find it facinating and will contiune to follow your progress, I just wish I had more to
offer.

I guess I'm just used to other forums where participants lend their support (or not) to ideas. For example, when Stein says to change Gold Hill, I expect 2-3 others to chime in and support the idea. I'm not used to making changes based on a single comment. There are many "experts" here and when they don't chime in, I take it as a sign of disapproval, though it's probably just ambivalence. :)

And I think you are the only one (maybe one other) who has said they like the design, everyone else seems to think it's too complicated, too hard to build in removable sections, lacks ebough space for building and other scenery, etc. I appreciate those comments, but when I respond, I guess I'm looking for some followup discussion. I don't just accept that things are too complicated unless someone can convince me they are. IMHO, you just can't do that with a single comment without further discussion.

I guess I'm a little frustrated too because when I first posted here, I got some very welcome comments regarding DCC, my first design, etc., even an email address for further discussion, but no further responses to any of my posts or email since.

One other thing I just thought of is that maybe the problem is I'm doing N-scale and most folks here are into HO or larger. Still, I'd think some of them would be interested enough to read most threads because the scale only matters when it comes to available space, track layout and building techniques are pretty much all the same.

Oh well, even with all that, I'll continue to post and appreciate whatever comments I get. I'll build until I run into a roadblock and then punt. One good thing about the layout is that it's not too hard to cut out the difficult parts. I can easily turn the center incline/mountian into a large reversing loop on the main level. And that's just what I might do to see how the sectional benchwork does and until I'm ready to add the incline/mountain. The operation stays exactly the same, just the runs will be shorter,like this:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
For some reason, I knew you'd say something like that. :) I'm not trying to whine, I'm just surprised that there isn't more "conversation" here. The problem is that after I make some of the changes folks recommend, too few come back to let me know whether or not I got what they were suggesting.

I hear you brother!..... I've explicitly asked to be shot down in flames a couple of times now, and very few responses. [Thanks Stein!]

I think part of the issue is this medium - We're getting lots of views, and because we're putting it out there, along with our thinking, most folk decide "we must know better" and are "afraid" to comment...... Although we've (at least I have ;)) got thick skin, nobody wants to appear foolish - Apart from us for trying....... which returns us to the beginning.....

A good example was that convoluted track I had off the main in the upper section. I completely changed that, but have no idea if that is what the poster had in mind. Am I supposed to just assume?

I believe so! No criticism = You've got it right - Again, the medium we're using sort of works that way.

However, when I make a comment like that and get no opinions, I don't know what to do. There are just too many members here for no one to have an opinion.

I guess I'm confident (arrogant?) enough to figure no comments = "correct"....? But again, I hear you - This is partly why I whined and said "I'm off to the LDSIG" to look for comments - It's a tough one as everyone here is super polite and doesn't want to start a flame war.

I've been following your thread too and it seems like you're in somewhat the same boat.

Yep - I guess most of those viewing (without commenting) figure we're the smart ones! :eek:

You get a couple of folks responding, but not much in the way of support for ideas one way or the other. Some of that is because there doesn't seem to be much interest in marrying trains and slot cars. I find it facinating and will contiune to follow your progress, I just wish I had more to offer.

"No problem" :) Other than a desire to not eat all the real estate with rails, the slots are irrelevant to the train tracks - I want a "believable", albeit maybe not prototypical layout that can keep me (+1 with DCC) entertained - I think I understand Steins (thanks again dude!) "objections" to my ideas, but I'm not trying to duplicate the RR track per se (as he indeed noted....)

....There are many "experts" here and when they don't chime in, I take it as a sign of disapproval, though it's probably just ambivalence. :)

I think it's more a sign of approval than ambivalence - If it sucks, you get comments, if it seems OK, then why comment? Again, I reckon it's at least partly the medium - I always go by the mantra if you've got nothing constructive (which may be criticism) to add, then don't say anything! [This of course goes back to 300baud modems and a lack of bandwidth ;)]


I guess I'm a little frustrated too because when I first posted here, I got some very welcome comments regarding DCC, my first design, etc....

The easy questions maybe?...... "Good" layout design is hard, and I'm thinking a lack of criticism suggests you've got it right (?)

One other thing I just thought of is that maybe the problem is I'm doing N-scale and most folks here are into HO or larger.

Nah! [I'm wishing I was doing N-scale right about now btw!.....]

You raise any interesting point though - The great John armstrong developed the concept of "squares" - Actual size then becomes irrelevant.

I've suggested allowing xtc format diagrams be allowed as attachments - Then others can play and post their ideas back.....

Oh well, even with all that, I'll continue to post and appreciate whatever comments I get.

+1 - Put it out there, some may mock and others may be helpful, but it's all good! Don't be afraid to comment people!

I can easily turn the center incline/mountian into a large reversing loop on the main level. And that's just what I might do to see how the sectional benchwork does and until I'm ready to add the incline/mountain.

Now that makes a lot of sense to me - A big ol' +1 to that idea! :)

Cheers,
Ian
 






Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top